What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kenny Edwards - DV related assault charges

myrrh ken

First Grade
Fair enough re Fergo I forgot about that.

Re Inglis - that's the way DV matters often go. The spouse always gets cold feet. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. And certainly doesnt mean it shouldnt be prosecuted. She obviously gave sufficient evidence to police for the case to go ahead initally.

Do you honestly think pouring an alcopop on your spouse head deserves 7 weeks punishment and pushing your spouse around deserves none?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Lol. That's of course assuming I care enough to go trawling through old articles to win an internet argument with a petulant child.
lol

poor excuse for not being able to prove your shit when defending a dickhead who gave a woman two black eyes

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Fair enough re Fergo I forgot about that.

Re Inglis - that's the way DV matters often go. The spouse always gets cold feet. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. And certainly doesnt mean it shouldnt be prosecuted. She obviously gave sufficient evidence to police for the case to go ahead initally.

Do you honestly think pouring an alcopop on your spouse head deserves 7 weeks punishment and pushing your spouse around deserves none?
I dont think the severity of the incidents you highlight and their required punishments is in question, no doubt the second one is worse if proven to be true

Unfortunately for your argument it wasnt, it was turned over as the evidence presented didnt support the charge, if indeed GI was even charged. Whether the crime took place or not isnt relevant when it comes to what punishment the NRL hands down as they can, or more importantly should only act on what the legal findings were. Once they start handing out punishments before or despite the results of a court case then they are putting themselves on a very slippery slope. We all know the backlash they copped during the Brett Stewart scenario

adamkungl

Immortal

No. I made no comment on what I think Inglis deserved. Merely pointed out that standards have changed in the 8 years since, and the public support of his spouse (she attended court with him, I don't need to *prove* publicly available, widely reported common knowledge) and other private details of the case may have influenced the NRLs lack of punishment.

For the most part is far less than the typical DV punishment by the NRL these days, which is usually a year or the rest of the year on the sidelines.

Do I think that pleading guilty to assault (plus prior warnings about off field behaviour) deserves a few weeks sit down, yeah. 7 weeks, give or take, not overly fussed really. Players have got more for soft shoulder charges or pretending to hump a dog.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I dont think the severity of the incidents you highlight and their required punishments is in question, no doubt the second one is worse if proven to be true

Unfortunately for your argument it wasnt, it was turned over as the evidence presented didnt support the charge, if indeed GI was even charged.

Wrong. Inglis was diverted to vic drunks program. to be eligible he has to admit to being responsible for the offence. https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/fin...omes-for-criminal-offences/diversion-programs

So in fact its akin to a s10 in NSW - although no guilt is in fact recorded. Lucky him. Not exactly innocent, huh?

Do I think that pleading guilty to assault (plus prior warnings about off field behaviour) deserves a few weeks sit down, yeah. 7 weeks, give or take, not overly fussed really. Players have got more for soft shoulder charges or pretending to hump a dog.

So what about Inglis then

adamkungl

Immortal
So what about Inglis then

If Inglis did the same thing today I'd expect a similar punishment.

IF the NRL was lax almost a decade ago in a single incident does it mean they should be today and for all time because precedent? The precedent has changed since then.

Why do people think I'm defending Inglis lol, I couldn't give a f**k about the bloke

myrrh ken

First Grade
It was more to do with your comment about the aussie team having players who have done more time for worse offences. Think its only fergo.

I agree they need to do something. But spinning the wheel and doling punishments on some, and sweeping it under the carpet for others is not a good look.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...iction-over-assault-charge-20100412-s2lg.html

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/3e8db9b595be4940b0b6fd8d5e532a67

Those might help you.

Also looking at Inglis's entry on The Rugby League project website, Inglis played 23 games for the Melbourne Storm in 2009 (excl. finals) and 20 games in 2010 (excl.finals).

According to this opinion piece article on the ABC News website, (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-27/payten-domestic-violence-and-nrl/3915206) this is what happened regarding Inglis -

Another recent case was that of Greg Inglis, who was charged with assaulting his partner in early 2010, and initially suspended by the Storm for two matches. A lawyer duly appeared at court and declared the charges would be defended, that Inglis had been acting in defence of his partner who was attempting self-harm, and that his partner had retracted her statement.

This declaration was enough for the Storm to put Inglis back on the field, and his 2010 season was then uninterrupted. On the date of his hearing, however, Inglis did not advance any argument that he was trying to prevent his partner from harming herself, and instead pleaded guilty to a less serious offence of assault as part of a plea bargain. The Age reported:

…Inglis accepted the information provided in Ms Robinson's initial statement to police that he had pushed her onto the bed with an open hand after she had 'got into [Inglis's] face.'

The magistrate recognised this incident was clearly at the less-serious end of the spectrum, and declined to record a conviction, but did order that he attend a men's behaviour change program and donate $3,000 to a women's health organisation.

Whether or not it was because the matter was heard in Melbourne, away from the glare of the Sydney media, the case disappeared without a trace. There were no calls, as far as I am aware, for the NRL to make an example out of Inglis, suspend him for any further matches or deregister him for the year or for life.

Perhaps those who might have made that call judged him too important to the game, and the professional interests that surround it. Perhaps the charge he pleaded guilty to was not considered 'serious enough' domestic violence.

Inglis and his partner married later that year, and the following year he re-settled in Sydney. There have been no reports of what Inglis got out of the counselling program, but every indication since then suggests it could well have been successful.

One journalist, Jessica Halloran, in the Sunday Telegraph, wrote a very positive piece about Inglis and his partner in April 2011, referring to the redemption he had achieved, post-assault, with the loving support of his partner.

Hope that is of assistance.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Eelpout

Juniors
Does anyone know if we would have benefited cap wise from Terepo and Edwards' misdemeanours? What I am asking is if instead of just fining the players, would we have terminated their contract and worked their fine into a new one?

grouch

First Grade
Does anyone know if we would have benefited cap wise from Terepo and Edwards' misdemeanours? What I am asking is if instead of just fining the players, would we have terminated their contract and worked their fine into a new one?
It sounds like the kind of grubby shenanigans a club like Parra would attempt

RazorRam0n

Juniors
reading all the GI stuff above and then realised that was back in march, thought it was bumped due to his "depression"