What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kent tries to give Warriors a wrap (I think?)

no name

Coach
So I come across this article on that Vietchy Sport site on Facebook.
From what I can gather I think Paul Kent is trying to write a positive story on the Warriors.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/9e8bc22dd7dcebf004d12569089a2af7

Warriors’ aim to respect themselves by showing their respect for those they play against
JULY 17, 2018Johnathan Thurston walked off the field last month when Warriors five-eighth Blake Green pulled him aside.

“Can you hang back for a sec?” Green said. “We want to say a few words.”

It was probably the last thing Thurston wanted. The Cowboys just lost 23-16 and Thurston was puzzled and at such times nothing feels better than a hot shower.
Johnathan Thurston does look a little confused right now.
“I was taken a bit by surprise,” he said on Tuesday.

Simon Mannering walked over and grabbed Thurston.

“Can you stay behind?” he said.

Thurston had no idea what they wanted and it was different from anything he had seen on a football field but, still, he hung around.

“No worries, brother,” he said.

The Warriors’ integrity and respect was genuine though.
What he was about to walk into began in the pre-season. There the Warriors, tired of being the Warriors, sat and spoke about what they wanted to be.

They realised there comes a time in our lives when, if we are lucky, we grow up to be what we want to be but, if we are not quite so lucky, we sometimes discover it is not enough.

Sometimes, something more is necessary for inner contentment.

The Warriors wanted to be all that it stood for to be a footballer and not just something to enter into their job description.

For years they have been the game’s great letdown. Talent took them only so far.

So over the pre-season they spoke about what they were and what wanted to represent, and how they might get to where they want to be.

“We talked about what type of people we wanted to be seen as by outsiders,” Green said.

“How we wanted to be looked upon. We wanted to live by certain standards.”

Kearney wants his Warriors to do it differently. (Phil Walter/Getty Images)
It was a conversation begun by coach Steve Kearney and one quickly grasped by his players.

The Warriors knew what that meant.

They have developed a reputation for lacking the iron to tough through the end of their season, of failing in those tough minutes when the game was on the line.

Last year they collapsed to lose their final eight games and miss the finals. The season before they won just two of the final eight.

Three times since their grand final season in 2011 the Warriors have failed to win even a single game from their final eight. And not once have they made the finals.

The Warriors have come close too often. (Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
Part of that conversation earlier this year was about respect and, if they were going to respect themselves, they needed to respect those they played against and so they called Thurston, who will go down as one of the game’s greats, into their huddle for an impromptu thank you.

They linked arms, the entire Warriors squad with the Cowboys skipper among them.

“It’s a privilege to share the ground with you,” Green said to Thurston.

“In our opinion you’re one of the best players ever …”

A few more kind words were said and Thurston, looking into their eyes, saw something different in these Warriors.

“It goes to show the team and where they’re heading,” he said.

“It might be the last time we see you on the field,” Green said.

“It might not be,” said Thaiday, “we might see each other in a few weeks.”

The Warriors called him in anyway.

“If we don’t meet again,” Green said, “all the best.”

Sam Thaiday was touched by the gesture. (AAP Image/Darren England)
The Warriors might be at it again on Sunday when they come up against Ryan Hoffman, who some weeks back not only announced his coming retirement but is also a former Warriors player.

After the game Thurston shared the ride home with his wife Samantha and she was curious.

“What did the Warriors get you in the huddle for?” she said.

Thurston thought about it again. In a game where he has achieved all the honours this simple gesture has stayed with him.

“I was grateful,” he said.

I skipped around the paywall by using outline, so hope the formatting comes across correctly.

I’m all for Kent to write positive articles, but this reads as being written by a 7 year old.
Green calls Thurston over, but then it’s Mannering who grabs Thurston.
They tell Thurston it may be the last time they play him but Thaiday replies they may meet again in a few weeks.
Thurston’s wife asks what happens and he replies that he is grateful.

How the f**k did this go to print?

Eion

First Grade
Bhahaha what a pack of poo-ticket. The only explanation is he suffered multiple minor strokes during the process.

Paul Kent? Write a POSITIVE story?!

does-not-compute.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sht story written by his teenage ghost writer but, terrible journalism aside, there does seem to a be a shift in attitude at the warriors this year than can only bode well if they can keep building on it.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
the final editing was done to emulate the usual final efforts of the warriors that usually happen to finish the season just to bring the message along

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Sht story written by his teenage ghost writer but, terrible journalism aside, there does seem to a be a shift in attitude at the warriors this year than can only bode well if they can keep building on it.
Possibly. But Kent bases a lot of this article on how bad they've been at back ends of seasons - until they've gone through that period this year with flying colours the breathing circles mean nothing

Latest posts