What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key stats

Clifferd

Coach
found this off the official WT forum so credit to the guy who dug this up but thought I'd post here for some interesting reading

Basically what it says it we are a good attacking team that lacks the polish

Their are some good signs in this club that Ivan can work with - While our results haven't been their I personally think some key stats indicate and our play probably backs this up when looked at closely that we have a lot of good things but the bits that arent working are really bad.

Good
1. We have actually made the 4th most meters of any team so far in 2017 despite haivng 4 losses.
2. We are 2nd for tackle breaks
3. We are 1st in the comp for offloads
4. We are 4th for Kick Return meters
5. We are 2nd for dummy half runs meaning players are keen to get into dummy half and make an effort
6. We have given up the 3rd least amount of penalties (indicating perhaps we need to give away some more on our line to help our defence)
7. Only 4 teams have had as much possession over the 5 games
8. We have played the 3 favourites for the comp which we would always have expected to loose anyway

Bad
1. We have missed the most tackles of any team in the comp
2. We have equal 2nd most erros of any team (interestingly Penrith have more and Roosters the same)
3. We are 13th for line breaks
4. 2nd last for try assists
5. We have given up more tries then any other team

So what we are doing well is getting down the other end of the field into the opposition 20 really well.

The problems are that when we get their we just aren't converting the possession into points through errors, poor kicking and just poor playmaking which comes down to the halves and hooker. On the defencie side where we have really struggled is on the edges. I know we have had a couple of moments in the middle but its the structure that is leaving unmarked wingers that has really hurt us.

If he can change up the defensive structure on the edges (and how that eminates from the middle) and bring some confidence to the attack I don't think we are too far away

Clifferd

Coach
Also what I've noticed is we must give up the most 7 tackle sets out of any f**king team in the comp. that absolutely kills any sort of momentum we had

Tiger Ted

Bench
found this off the official WT forum so credit to the guy who dug this up but thought I'd post here for some interesting reading

Their are some good signs in this club that Ivan can work with - While our results haven't been their I personally think some key stats indicate and our play probably backs this up when looked at closely that we have a lot of good things but the bits that arent working are really bad.

Good
1. We have actually made the 4th most meters of any team so far in 2017 despite haivng 4 losses.
5. We are 2nd for dummy half runs meaning players are keen to get into dummy half and make an effort
6. We have given up the 3rd least amount of penalties (indicating perhaps we need to give away some more on our line to help our defence)
8. We have played the 3 favourites for the comp which we would always have expected to loose anyway

Bad
2. We have equal 2nd most erros of any team (interestingly Penrith have more and Roosters the same)

So what we are doing well is getting down the other end of the field into the opposition 20 really well.

The problems are that when we get their we just aren't converting the possession into points through errors, poor kicking and just poor playmaking which comes down to the halves and hooker. On the defencie side where we have really struggled is on the edges. I know we have had a couple of moments in the middle but its the structure that is leaving unmarked wingers that has really hurt us.

If he can change up the defensive structure on the edges (and how that eminates from the middle) and bring some confidence to the attack I don't think we are too far away
Imagine if we had a half or 5/8 who played like he was worth 900k!!

Clifferd

Coach
Exactly right. Basically it tells us our halves are very imcompetent in creating opportunities . The last 2 weeks against Melb and Dragons we have actually dominated them up the middle with run metres but failed to convert that into anything.

Tiger05

First Grade
Exactly right. Basically it tells us our halves are very imcompetent in creating opportunities . The last 2 weeks against Melb and Dragons we have actually dominated them up the middle with run metres but failed to convert that into anything.

This is something that I think gets missed. We aren't all bad or even close to it. It's not just our halves that are the problem though. We don't have a huge amount of options out wide but we also appear not to have any attacking plays. We appear poorly coached.

WT Unity

Juniors
This is something that I think gets missed. We aren't all bad or even close to it. It's not just our halves that are the problem though. We don't have a huge amount of options out wide but we also appear not to have any attacking plays. We appear poorly coached.

This is probably right and reminds me of a comment that Gordon Tallis made on the radio last weekend which was - Paraphrasing: "The Tigers attacking game plan is the same as an under 8s team which is...pass it to the best player and hope he scores - with the Tigers it's pass it to Teddy and hope he scores"

He's right - we are so dependent on the out the back play to Teddy (which is usually provided by Moses angling toward the side line and not playing direct) that it has become so predictable and easy for opposition defences to pick off.

Tiger05

First Grade
This is probably right and reminds me of a comment that Gordon Tallis made on the radio last weekend which was - Paraphrasing: "The Tigers attacking game plan is the same as an under 8s team which is...pass it to the best player and hope he scores - with the Tigers it's pass it to Teddy and hope he scores"

He's right - we are so dependent on the out the back play to Teddy (which is usually provided by Moses angling toward the side line and not playing direct) that it has become so predictable and easy for opposition defences to pick off.

I laughed at this but it's 100% true. Give it to Teddy and let little Teddy have a run.

I f**ken hate Taylor. He was the worst coach ever. I put him up there with the great Terry Lamb.

Tiger Woody

Juniors

Good

Bad

Was litening to Gould on sunday during the game.
He said we are more likely to score tries from 70 metres out than 20 metres.

Shredder

Juniors
I think I heard on the weekend that Moses is the ONLY first choice half in the entire NRL that hasnt been awarded a try assist yet this year.......

magpie guy

Juniors

Good

Bad

The good 1, 2, 4 and 5 are all basically because of Nofo and Teddy.

As others have said, we can get down the end of the field to score but our halves can't convert.

Issue being our halves play left and right, and don't link up for any plays. You just watch what side Teddy goes to and that is where the play is going.

Gus also mentioned (he had one good observation) we don't appear to put on any ruck plays. The ball goes directly from the ruck to a one-out hitup, or to the half. Seems like this is direct from Taylor's playbook of taking the hooker out of the game. Ballin might be able to offer something but at the moment we don't have anyone kicking out of dummy half, or putting on plays with the forwards. Brookes and Moses are not running up the middle of the ruck either.

BrotherJim05

Bench
This is where we are missing Farah. He is a master of creating something out of nothing when you are close to the line and Brooks responded really well playing off the back of his creativity.

Those stats don't actually surprise me much. Our forwards have brought us into the attacking zone but the execution from our halves/backs has let us down. This adds huge pressure on the whole team and eventually we lose confidence and get smashed.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tedesco leads our club for most runs (91 - 3rd in the NRL, leader has 103) Most metres (937 - 3rd in the NRL, leader has 989), Most Line Breaks (4, NRL leader has 6), Most Try Assists (2, NRL leader has 7), Tackle Breaks (46 - first in the NRL. Nofoaluma is second with 44) and Line Break Assists (4, NRL leader has 6)

Woods leads our forwards in run (84, next best forward is Sue with 53), Metres (800, next best forward is Sue with 524), Offloads (7, next best is Sue with 6).

He is second behind Taylor for most tackles (Taylor has 168, Woods has 133, Seumanufagai and Lawrence both have 118, Grant 117, McIlwrick 114, Sue 111)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
As for our halves:
Moses has 54 runs for 456 metres
Brooks has 36 runs for 235 metres

Both have 1 Line break, 1 try assist and 2 offloads

Moses has made 70 tackles and missed 24 @ 74.47%
Brooks has made 40 tackles and missed 13 @ 75.47%

Moses has 3 tackle breaks, Brooks has 2

Moses has 7 handling errors, Brooks has 3

Brooks has 1 Line break assist, Moses has 0

What do these mean?
Well Moses is running the ball a lot more however Brooks isn't, which would suggest that he isn't getting much space and is essentially just a catch and pass halfback.

Moses defence has gone slightly backwards but Brooks has improved dramatically. His last few years his tackle % was between 53% and 63%

Moses is getting much more ball but achieving nothing with it

Worth noting too, Moses has played 1 game more than Brooks