What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kidwell vs Fletcher

Hado

Juniors
In the just completed international series we had four players in the final but they all took the field for New Zealand. They did well but how many of them would have made the Australian team? Asotasi for sure but perhaps not the others. Kidwell would be the best chance but probably wouldn't quite make it.

The only Australian international we had recently was Bryan Fletcher. I remember when I was in Sydney a couple of years ago watching a SOO series in which he was playing and he set up a great try - my nephew asked "why doesn't he do that for Souths?". Fletcher always struck me as a very creative player who was not well suited to trying to lift a struggling team like Souths. To show his best, he needed more good players around him than we could provide. We made him captain but he never really displayed the leadership qualities we needed.

That brings me to Kidwell. He looks more like a natural leader and, although not as gifted a Fletcher, he is also a very solid performer who can get the hard work done. In that respect I think he will be a much bigger success at Souths than Bryan was.

He will also have the advantage of playing alongside some real talent in Asotasi (who will make a world of difference) and Widders. We have lost some of the "hit and miss" players like Minichiello and replaced them with guys who can play well week in and week out.

While I think that Fletcher would have appreciated playing in our 2007 pack I really think Kidwell will have a bigger impact, especially as captain (or as part of the leadership group, if Taylor goes that way).

Cheers

Dave Q

Coach
Hado said:
In the just completed international series we had four players in the final but they all took the field for New Zealand. They did well but how many of them would have made the Australian team? Asotasi for sure but perhaps not the others. Kidwell would be the best chance but probably wouldn't quite make it.

The only Australian international we had recently was Bryan Fletcher. I remember when I was in Sydney a couple of years ago watching a SOO series in which he was playing and he set up a great try - my nephew asked "why doesn't he do that for Souths?". Fletcher always struck me as a very creative player who was not well suited to trying to lift a struggling team like Souths. To show his best, he needed more good players around him than we could provide. We made him captain but he never really displayed the leadership qualities we needed.

That brings me to Kidwell. He looks more like a natural leader and, although not as gifted a Fletcher, he is also a very solid performer who can get the hard work done. In that respect I think he will be a much bigger success at Souths than Bryan was.

He will also have the advantage of playing alongside some real talent in Asotasi (who will make a world of difference) and Widders. We have lost some of the "hit and miss" players like Minichiello and replaced them with guys who can play well week in and week out.

While I think that Fletcher would have appreciated playing in our 2007 pack I really think Kidwell will have a bigger impact, especially as captain (or as part of the leadership group, if Taylor goes that way).

Cheers

I'd be happy to see a leadership group with rotating captains, Cusak can remain the club captain. Id just say to the boys: who wants a go?

Captains dont win games, teams do.

Fletch had a nasty habit of pushing the pass in impossible positions, but he was pretty good player.

Kidwell has just been awarded as New Zealand's best player (joint) and given their fiery ways and joyful style of football, standing over that magic, that says a lot about him. I am looking forward to him. Rubbing my hands with glee.

Minichello was a "hit and miss" no doubt about it. Very frustrating.

Good post Hado, plenty to think about.

murraymob

Coach
Fletcher is miles ahead of kidwell in all areas of the game. Kidwell is a good player.Fletcher is a champion.

Sugar

Bench
Dave Q said:
I'd be happy to see a leadership group with rotating captains, Cusak can remain the club captain. Id just say to the boys: who wants a go?

Captains dont win games, teams do.

Fletch had a nasty habit of pushing the pass in impossible positions, but he was pretty good player.

Kidwell has just been awarded as New Zealand's best player (joint) and given their fiery ways and joyful style of football, standing over that magic, that says a lot about him. I am looking forward to him. Rubbing my hands with glee.

Minichello was a "hit and miss" no doubt about it. Very frustrating.

Good post Hado, plenty to think about.

Once again hado copies and pastes someone else post from the pride and posts it here,time to come up with your own feelings and thoughts hado

Dave Q

Coach
If you did copy it Hado, its not so good to pass someone elses work off as your own. Your own view is probably more interesting anyway.

Fletch had a go I thought, but he didnt instill as much confidence as Kidwell does because his ability just didnt match up to his competitiveness which is not to knock him. I saw him do some good things and some very dumb things in terms of football. Not the kind of dumb things that joey did last year when he carried on like a goose after the referee had made his call in some vain and misguided hope that the ref would change his decision. Very ordinary.

Asotasi and Kidwell equal at least four standard forwards. They are at the top of leagues food chain!

Paul Hewson

Juniors
Hahahahaha!!!! I started to read this and then thought to myself that Hado couldn't of written this as it isn't a poll. Then I realised that I read this somewhere else. That is right it was written on the Pride by Bigbopper. I suppose the Cheers at the bottom gave it away.:oops:

Hado very poor form.

Anyway I think that both Fletcher and Kidwell are very different payers. Kidwell has the heart and is also a born leader. Love him or hate him Fletcher was a tallented player and he had a gift. At times when playing for Souths though I found that he often got in the way of the halves and tried to become to much of a ball player.

Galeforce

Bench
different players and different period in their careers.

Fletcher needs to have more good players around him , he has unique skills however if he tries to do too much , it takes his toll . his last year with Souths was one too many . fletcher not really a forward leader , however in a strong pack can make leadership plays.

Kidwell I think is more of a forward leader who can set the platform for the rest of the pack. I liken Kidwell to Morely.

Kidwell is more consistent than fletcher, in most areas of the game, for example kidwell rarely plays a poor game but fletch on the other hand was very inconsistent with the quality of his game in his last year at the rabbitohs, if both players were at there best, i really could not choose, both players in their peak were champions but perhaps kidwell is still there

I will have to go with Kidwell by a country mile only on consistency

hado, stop plagurising (spelling) peoples work, i would prefer you to write your very poor quality polls and threads, then to use other peoples material, at least i know how little of your brain ticks

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Honestly, Kidwell is a very mediocre player, and would never make any rep side if he was Australian. He will provide a solid effort and plenty of enthusiasm though. Vagana will give you sfa, he is way past it. Asotasi, gun player.

MKEB...

Staff member
Kidwell though an average player has sheer passion an enthusiasm that can and does inspire a team. If you could get the penalty proneness out of his gamehe would be better.

Zigwaa

Bench
I too thought it was quite suprising and odd that hado posted a thread of substance.

As I read further posts it made sense of his shameful attempt to pass other people's views as his own.

Anyway, I'll comment of my own thoughts.

Fletch, great player but in the same league as Adam Muir before him, good player in a solid pack. But lacking inspiration and leadership in a not so strong pack.

Kidwell is solid and will do well in the 2007 Souths pack as he will not have the burden carrying the whole forward pack. He can just have his own role. However I'm not convinced he should be captain, I saw him captaining the Storm at times and mouthing off to officials and being sin-binned.

Parra Guru

Coach
Galeforce said:
different players and different period in their careers.

Fletcher needs to have more good players around him , he has unique skills however if he tries to do too much , it takes his toll . his last year with Souths was one too many . fletcher not really a forward leader , however in a strong pack can make leadership plays.

Kidwell I think is more of a forward leader who can set the platform for the rest of the pack. I liken Kidwell to Morely.

So why has Kidwell only really hit the headlines in 2006, while playing with the Minor Premiers? He hasn't proven himself in a weak team either.

I don't consider Souths as a weak team for 2007, so I guess we'll never know :)