What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kieran Foran's Replacement

Iron Lion

Juniors
If there is a stand out replacement for Kieran Foran who will not break the bank then it is Mason Lino. I am not sure if you guys have managed to watch the reserve grade side this year but Lino is absolutely killing it and probably the decisive reason the team is top of the table and undefeated. He is looking the best player in the reserve grade competition and most certainly the best half by a mile.

He leads the team around the park superbly, plays with a huge amount of natural timing, his kicking is brilliant, passing constantly on the mark and he marshals his forwards and backs like a war general. Lino is not a Foran copy but he is tactically aware and focused and is becoming very Cooper Cronk like. His execution of plays is exceptional.

There is nothing I have seen this year to believe Ata Hingano is a better player than Lino. Lino is the player the Warriors should keep. Lino was never a bad player and always played at a decent level, it is just now at 23 years of age he is truly blooming into an excellent controlling half and with several years ahead of him of quality football, I believe he would make a very sound investment.

Anybody else impressed by him and willing to give him a shot in the number 6 jersey next year? I cant see him not being picked up by an NRL club, and if he did go to another NRL club I think the Warriors would end up regretting it.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Always been a fan of Lino myself.
I'm not sold if he is upto first grade.

I'd like us to keep both Ata and Lino for next season if we don't bring a half in

Rich102

Staff member
I have said before that Mason reminds me a lot of Stacey Jones. His off the ball work is great.
Hope Stacey is spending a lot of time with him and Ata.

JJ

Immortal
Both have a lot of development needed - first grade is a huge step up - if Johnson stays we need a half that takes control, that'll be hard for either of them IMO, given Johnson's status

Iafeta

Referee
Agree with the above. My concern with Mason is physical. As in speed, not just top end speed but acceleration, and importantly defensive strength. He is 1000 times stronger than he was when he was in NYC where he was an absolute speed hump. But it's another huge step up.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think he deserves another shot at least. He was on a hiding to nothing in 2015 when he was paired with Tui trying to steer a demoralised team missing half it's first choice players around.

If there is a stand out replacement for Kieran Foran who will not break the bank then it is Mason Lino. I am not sure if you guys have managed to watch the reserve grade side this year but Lino is absolutely killing it and probably the decisive reason the team is top of the table and undefeated. He is looking the best player in the reserve grade competition and most certainly the best half by a mile.

He leads the team around the park superbly, plays with a huge amount of natural timing, his kicking is brilliant, passing constantly on the mark and he marshals his forwards and backs like a war general. Lino is not a Foran copy but he is tactically aware and focused and is becoming very Cooper Cronk like. His execution of plays is exceptional.

There is nothing I have seen this year to believe Ata Hingano is a better player than Lino. Lino is the player the Warriors should keep. Lino was never a bad player and always played at a decent level, it is just now at 23 years of age he is truly blooming into an excellent controlling half and with several years ahead of him of quality football, I believe he would make a very sound investment.

Anybody else impressed by him and willing to give him a shot in the number 6 jersey next year? I cant see him not being picked up by an NRL club, and if he did go to another NRL club I think the Warriors would end up regretting it.

been to 2 live games so far and lino is the standout player in a great team. hugely respected by the players to

Iafeta

Referee
I think he deserves another shot at least. He was on a hiding to nothing in 2015 when he was paired with Tui trying to steer a demoralised team missing half it's first choice players around.

Totally agree he needs a shot. As it stands now though, I couldn't justify putting my eggs in the Gustav Lino basket.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I don't think Lino will be able to transfer his good self to the first grade even with a good amount of game time. His defence will be targeted for big man on lil man mismatches, happens to all halves but attackers will see a real line break opportunity with Lino. He also won't have that time he gets in the reserve grade to think. In saying all this, Ive only seen one of his games this year and he did ok.

We work on Ata and possibly look at another half but I'd go with Ata to replace Foran next year. Atas still young. He'll come right but whats his right? we don't know but we can only hope he'll be something special when he is developed.

Leber

Bench
Lino sits in the Omar Slimankhel bracket: Outstanding reserve grade player, crap first grader.

He may have improved though, who knows.

jaseg

Juniors
Mason's kicking game alone should put him in the frame, particularly with Ata well out of form this year (in both grades). He's the best creator off the boot in either reserve grade comp at the moment.

Defence is a concern of course - but he hasn't been too bad this year to be fair to him. Bad in the first two games of the year, but noticeably better since then. Hasn't got a great running game... but doesn't really need one when paired with Johnson, just needs to square up the defensive line then shift the ball when running.

Lino sits in the Omar Slimankhel bracket: Outstanding reserve grade player, crap first grader.

He may have improved though, who knows.

Too early to tell IMO. He's played 3 first grade games, all in that horrible end to 2015. He's definitely better anyway.. back then he looked a quality reserve grader - now he's dominating down there.

All in all, I'd look to retain both and play whoever is in form... and spend that money on a prop or two (and young cheap winger options - Tuisese / Faraimo?)

Basically improve the middle and get Ken off the wing. lol

Penrose_11

Juniors
Looks like Cody Walker wants out of Souths. Would be a good signing. At 27 years old will still have plenty of years ahead of him. A direct player in a similar mould to Foran.

Not that Souths will release him though, as have him signed on the cheap until 2019.