What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwi Haka

In-goal

Bench
Todays version of the Haka by the Kiwis was the most enthusiastic i have ever seen, it had as much if not more passion than that performed buy the All Blacks in recent years.

Every Kiwi involved look to be fired up far and beyond there regular selves, outstanding New Zealand out standing.

salivor

First Grade
It could still do some work but I think its the passion thats most important as thats what rattles the opposition and gets the blood pumping.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
Damn that Haka was intimidating... i was happy iw as sitting on my couch when they did it. GO WIKI.. did any one see his facial expressions... True Raider:)...

The Aussies so need something liek that.. they just stand their.. i wonder what they are thinking.. hmm any ideas on smfin that could match it?

dimitri

First Grade
the aussie haka

but i totally agree

i could tell from the haka that the ywere going to win today

Wests is Best

Juniors
Can any of the New Zealanders on this board please answer me this question:
The Haka as I understand it is a Maori war dance, however not all the players in any New Zealand football team is Maori. Whenever we see the Haka performed by both the NZ League and Union sides, it seems that all players do it and perform it with a lot of passion. Is it something that is taught to all New Zealanders at school? If not at school it must be learnt somewhere. Lets face it the majority of footballers don't know words to there national anthems (all countries), but the Haka is performed unaided by the team to perfection every time.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Wests is Best said:
Can any of the New Zealanders on this board please answer me this question:
The Haka as I understand it is a Maori war dance, however not all the players in any New Zealand football team is Maori. Whenever we see the Haka performed by both the NZ League and Union sides, it seems that all players do it and perform it with a lot of passion. Is it something that is taught to all New Zealanders at school? If not at school it must be learnt somewhere. Lets face it the majority of footballers don't know words to there national anthems (all countries), but the Haka is performed unaided by the team to perfection every time.

First things first. The Haka is not a "War Dance" in fact most Maori are insulted to hear a Haka referred to as a dance (just like when Australians call us Maoris. THERE IS NO "S"; THE PLURAL OF MAORI IS MAORI). The Haka is a challenge.

There are literally thousands of types of Haka. Ka mate is the version that the Kiwis and All Blacks use. The Kiwis use the same actions that have been in place for decades. The All Blacks with advice from a local Ngati Toa Kamatua (Ka mate is a Ngati Toa Haka) slightly changed some of the actions several years ago. While the same Haka they are now distinctly different.

When a player joins the team they are given a "refresher" on the words and actions. Most barely need any as they have been watching the Haka done all of their lives. Most boys can recite and "perform" the Haka by the time they are teenagers. The players however are given instruction on the history and significance of the Haka. The Maori culture is heavily intertwined in the ethos of both the Kiwis and All Blacks. This is a reason why I don't think that the petition to reintroduce the "Australian Haka" will work.

Now as for being taught in school. Most sports schools whether Rugby or League have there own Haka. It is distinct for each school and was written by the schools Kamatua, most are now well over a hundred years old. If you want awe inspiring just watch the pre game between two old schools when you have several hundred boys on each bank facing each other, striped to the waist performing their schools Haka simultaneously. There is truly nothing like it.

Wests is Best

Juniors
Thx Te Kaha for the response. It was exactly what I wanted to know.

ps. Sorry if I offended you. In future I'll stick to saying Maori for plural! :)

Te Kaha

First Grade
Wests is Best said:
Thx Te Kaha for the response. It was exactly what I wanted to know.

ps. Sorry if I offended you. In future I'll stick to saying Maori for plural! :)

No worries. it wasn't you. it is the inept media who constantly do it.

In-goal

Bench
I didn't realise that the Kiwis and All Blacks had different version, although i haven't seen an All Black Haka for about a year or 2.

I'd say most schools are taught it. I learnt about 10 different haka during my school days. But it should only be taught to boys, let's make that very clear. There are type's of haka that women are allowed to do, but Ka mate isn't one of them. It's not a sexist thing it's just tradition. A couple of blokes got in deep shit for teaching it to the spice girls a few years back. Any man from any race can do it, as long as they do it properly and put some passion into it. It was good to see the kiwi's put some kaha into it yesterday. Superb. Maybe they got a kapa haka teacher in. I think we should try a different type of haka alltogether and see what the response is.

In-goal

Bench
After it was decided the NZ were going to kick off i would have like the ball to be pre placed before the Haka, that way the moment they finish the Haka they charge down field.(now wouldn't that be daunting?)

Anonymous

Juniors
I'd say most schools are taught it. I learnt about 10 different haka during my school days

Well I never got taught it and personally I don't know anyone at any school who ever has, I'd say it's more a thing for old schools with a strong sporting tradition. But of course, the players do get taught it if they don't know it. When I went on a rugby trip to Japan in 1997 all the boys got taught it and we did it over and over and over again when we were there.