What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwi Train on Squad

Matua

Bench
Thats what I find interesting is he might be playing for the Kiwis but some question his eligibility or in your case, its a closed book and you feel he shouldnt be playing. Its our very own Radradra situation and I feel he should be able to play.
Just because the Aussies do it we shouldn't.

Just because the Aussies do it we shouldn't.

You see thats the difference between Aussie and Kiwi mentality. They will bend any rule to help win and we need to do the same. We play all cards to win they lose more. No more being behind the 8 ball, we should win within the rules always nothing less.

Matua

Bench
How about Steve Nightingale and Nathan Fiens eligibility? They have a Kiwi connection that Im not sure of. Im not sure about Kata...
My point is, dont you feel that we do it too?
Who?

I don't think we should do, although I don't care to much if it's Aussies, but the PI teams need all the players they can get and shouldn't be losing born and bred guys who come to NZ to go to school and play professional sport.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Who?

I don't think we should do, although I don't care to much if it's Aussies, but the PI teams need all the players they can get and shouldn't be losing born and bred guys who come to NZ to go to school and play professional sport.
Sorry Jason Nightingale, I was thinking of a guy I know when I typed it.

Yeah I know what youre saying and totally respect that.

Matua

Bench
Sorry Jason Nightingale, I was thinking of a guy I know when I typed it.

Yeah I know what youre saying and totally respect that.
Nightingale has NZ parents and has always played for NZ, Kata has Tongan parents and has played for Tonga - they're not really that similar.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Nightingale has NZ parents and has always played for NZ, Kata has Tongan parents and has played for Tonga - they're not really that similar.
Lol you go on and on dont you. Did I mention Nathan Fien? :) I think it was Tallis who was fuming anout Fien playing for us, way back. I think we were the first to do this.

Look you made your point and thats what you wanna do. At the end of the day, Im the only one trying to understand you. Ill think of you though if Kata gets picked lol.

Matua

Bench
Lol you go on and on dont you. Did I mention Nathan Fien? :) I think it was Tallis who was fuming anout Fien playing for us, way back. I think we were the first to do this.

Look you made your point and thats what you wanna do. At the end of the day, Im the only one trying to understand you. Ill think of you though if Kata gets picked lol.
Say what, you were the one who brought up Nightingale and tried to make it analogous. Fien shouldn't have been playing for NZ full stop.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Say what, you were the one who brought up Nightingale and tried to make it analogous. Fien shouldn't have been playing for NZ full stop.
Yeah read my post where its says "I know what youre saying" it concludes it but you go on and on. Relax, I know what youre saying!!

jaseg

Juniors
We definitely weren't the first to do it

Brad Thorn, Tonie Carroll, Ben Teo etc etc

But that's all moot tbh.. I don't think we (or any top tier nation) should be selecting on residency alone. I'd rather (publicly) try to pressure the RLIF to change the eligibility criteria than select Kata.

I'd also overhaul the whole nation switching thing... define tier 1 nations (Australia, New Zealand, England) then say that guys who are eligible for more than one nation can select both a tier 1 and another nation and switch between them freely, in an attempt to promote a more robust international schedule.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I'd also overhaul the whole nation switching thing... define tier 1 nations (Australia, New Zealand, England) then say that guys who are eligible for more than one nation can select both a tier 1 and another nation and switch between them freely, in an attempt to promote a more robust international schedule.
I thought they already do that only they have these lengthy delays before they can actually play. I agree, you play for your country of origin and youre adopted country. I understand what Matua was saying in that its unfair on some Kiwi born and bred players to have someone from another country come and take the jersey theyre in line for, however its the professional era which isnt a good excuse but its what it is. Countries national teams are clubs! if you get me and they'll pay to have whoever they feel will give them the best chance of success regardless if those players dont care too much about the fern on their jersey.

Mighty Ape Man

Juniors
Hope to see Josh Hoffman and Leivaha Pulu get a call-up for the train-on squad. Would have said Agnatius too but he's played for Tonga (same with Konnie) :(

ozbash

Referee
NZRL have added eight more names to their train-on squad ahead of this year’s Four Nations tournament.

The Panthers, who were eliminated by the Raiders last weekend, have had four players named with James Fisher-Harris, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Suaia Matagi and Te Maire Martin called into the side.

Broncos trio Adam Blair, Alex Glenn and Jordan Kahu have also been named, while Warriors prop Ben Matulino has been replaced by teammate Jazz Tevaga after he withdrew from the squad for off-season surgery.

The final 24-man squad will be announced after the NRL grand final on October 2.

KIWIS 2016 TRAIN-ON SQUAD

James Fisher-Harris (Panthers)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Panthers)
Suaia Matagi (Panthers)
Te Maire Martin (Panthers)
Adam Blair (Broncos)
Alex Glenn (Broncos)
Jordan Kahu (Broncos)
Lewis Brown (Sea Eagles)
Addin Fonua-Blake (Sea Eagles)
Martin Taupau (Sea Eagles)
Manu Ma’u (Eels)
Brad Takairangi (Eels)
Jason Nightingale (Dragons)
Shaun Kenny-Dowall
Isaac Liu (Roosters)
Sam Moa (Roosters)
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters)
David Fusitu’a (Warriors)
Shaun Johnson (Warriors)
Solomone Kata (Warriors)
Thomas Leuluai (Warriors)
Sam Lisone (Warriors)
Tuimoala Lolohea (Warriors)
Issac Luke (Warriors)
Simon Mannering (Warriors)
Jazz Tevaga (Warriors)
Bodene Thompson (Warriors)
Manu Vatuvei (Warriors)
Tim Simona (Tigers)
Elijah Taylor (Tigers)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I like Jazz but I've got no idea how his few games this year and form in those demanded a Kiwis train-on spot, same with Lisone. Although Havili and Isaac John say hi, I guess.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
KIWIS 2016 TRAIN-ON SQUAD
1. David Fusitua (Warriors)
2. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
3. Tim Simona (Tigers)
4. Brad Takairangi (Eels)
5. Solomone Kata (Warriors)
6. Thomas Leuluai (Warriors)
7. Shaun Johnson (Warriors)
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters)
9. Issac Luke (Warriors)
10. Suaia Matagi (Panthers)
11. Manu Ma’u (Eels)
12. Martin Taupau (Sea Eagles)
13. Simon Mannering (Warriors)

14. Alex Glenn (Broncos)
15. Adam Blair (Broncos)
16. Addin Fonua-Blake (Sea Eagles)
17. Sam Moa (Roosters)

spear tackle

Juniors
Fein and Brent Webb were eligible in the end because they had lived here for a certain amount of time apparently its in the rules someplace, or at least it was.

New eligibility rules for the countries outside of NZ, Aussie and England will be helpful for the developing countries.
Even though some may say it leaves the dregs for them, it at least leaves them talent like Milford, Hayne etc who want to play SOO and even Radrara if he is never picked for Aussie again.
Its a start, equal pay is next step.

Latest posts