What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis news

ozenzud

Juniors
Here it is in full. Any guesses as to what it means?

RTS would be in the test side, as would Kieron Foran. They would probably play SBW. So what combinations are they trying to build here?

Is it just the players who haven't had much footy. i.e. in teams that didn't make finals or need fitness i.e. Kasiano/Pritchard?

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Dean Whare
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Thomas Leuluai
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Issac Luke
10. Sam Kasiano
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Simon Mannering (captain)
13. Elijah Taylor

Interchange:
14. Greg Eastwood
15. Ben Matulino
16. Alex Glenn
17. Kevin Locke
18. Bryson Goodwin

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
If you slot in the grand-final players the right way this is exactly the side I would pick.

The only scary part is Taylor in the starting 13. 24th best player in the squad for mine.

Changes I would make are:

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jason Nightingale- touch and go but RTS probably comes in
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Dean Whare
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Thomas Leuluai- Foran
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Issac Luke
10. Sam Kasiano- JWH
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Simon Mannering (captain)- SBW
13. Elijah Taylor- Mannering

Interchange:
14. Greg Eastwood- Kasiano
15. Ben Matulino
16. Alex Glenn
17. Kevin Locke- Leuluai
18. Bryson Goodwin

Fast Eddie

First Grade
The only real indication to take from this team is that Inu might be preferred over Goodwin. I also agree with the above posts that Taylor should not in our strongest 17. I am worried they will find a spot for him though, Kearney and Cleary are big fans.

morningstar

Juniors
Anybody see Tony Kemp's article this morning? He comes off still quite bitter about being given the arse by NZRL, but there was this interesting snippet:-

"We decided to get all the guys to take part in a survey where they ranked one another in terms of abilities, contribution to the team and values. It was hardly a surprise that Sam Perrett came through with flying colours. Another player, who I won't name, however, ended up with a terrible score. Put simply, his team-mates didn't trust him.
Yet, when the Kiwis team was named, Perrett was a notable admission while this other individual had somehow made the cut."

Who do you think he's talking about? Seems to fit Inu's reputation, but from reading twitter and instagram postings from in camp he seems very popular with the boys.

ozbash

Referee
Anybody see Tony Kemp's article this morning? He comes off still quite bitter about being given the arse by NZRL, but there was this interesting snippet:-

"We decided to get all the guys to take part in a survey where they ranked one another in terms of abilities, contribution to the team and values. It was hardly a surprise that Sam Perrett came through with flying colours. Another player, who I won't name, however, ended up with a terrible score. Put simply, his team-mates didn't trust him.
Yet, when the Kiwis team was named, Perrett was a notable admission while this other individual had somehow made the cut."

Who do you think he's talking about? Seems to fit Inu's reputation, but from reading twitter and instagram postings from in camp he seems very popular with the boys.

Kemp is grandstanding with the 'player I wont name'. He should put up or shut up..

Diesel

Referee
Kemp's been bitter since he was quite rightly given the arse from the Warriors so this comes as no great surprise

Cold Roses

Juniors
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9849733/Roosters-to-get-Roger-Tuivasa-Sheck-off-wing

Not too long until the Anzac test. There needs to be a major rebuilding exercise happening with an aim towards winning the next World Cup, but if Kearney is going to survive beyond the next 2 years then he also needs results against Australia. And soon. Can't say I was a fan of all his selections during the World Cup, but he can redeem himself slightly by playing this guy in the Kiwis no.1 jersey for the upcoming test, and regardless of how he plays, leaving him there to find his feet. Best potential Kiwis fullback in a long time, and he needs to be given his chance.

Cold Roses

Juniors
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11239549

Some interesting comments from Richie Barnett

"The naming of the Kiwis side for the upcoming Anzac test looms as one of the most important in recent times.

We met as a selection group after the World Cup to discuss what worked and what didn't and it was decided we needed to plan more for the future and try to forecast how the side might look in four years for the next World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

It's a difficult balancing act, because we want results now and don't have a great record in the annual Anzac test. But we need to identify players now who can win us a World Cup in 2017 so some tough decisions will need to be made.

A big part of that is picking players who are committed and bring the right attitude so the culture is right within the team. We want players who hold the utmost respect for the jersey and those who came before them.

It's similar to how the All Blacks and Breakers have done things. Good people make good players but we can't always afford to leave out difficult customers because they can some-times be the most talented. It's about working with them and finding ways to get the best out of them while still fitting in with the ethos of the group.

We always have pretty robust dis-cussions when it comes to naming a side. Coach Stephen Kearney normally picks the side he thinks is best and we then debate the merits of that. If we can't reach a consensus about a player or position, it's normally put to a vote with the majority winning.

I'm a big believer in rewarding form and attitude more than past performances. There has to be accountability and a player's past exploits will take them only so far with me.

There are a number of New Zealand players this season who are making it very difficult for us not to pick them. I was a player once and sometimes when you had a really good year but still got overlooked it was really hard to take. It's our responsibility, as selectors, to make the right decisions.

There is some comfort in the fact a number of Kangaroos, those once-in-a-generation players, probably won't be around at the next World Cup but we can't sit back and wait and hope for success. "