What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Train-on squad

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
So what the happs with the train on squad?? So players get named after the team are out of contention for the finals?? With these players indicated of having a chance of making the finals squad?

Well tigers, Knights, Panthers, Roosters, Sharks, Dragons and Titans:

My guess:

Knights - Seuseu (maybe)
Panthers- Pritchard, Puletua (maybe) Daniela
Roosters - Perrett, SKD (maybe)
Sharks- Covell
Dragons - Chase
Tigers - Halatau, Harrison, Whatuira, Teo
Titans: Webster (maybe)

Iafeta

Referee
How big is the train on squad supposed to be, and is it inclusive of NZ "A"? If it's inclusive of "A", I think ...

Knights: Seu Seu (A), Jessie Royal (A), Vuna (A)
Roosters: Sa, Perrett
Tigers: Harrison, Teo
Sharks: Covell (A)
Dragons: Chase, Stanley (A), Nightingale (A) - Hear he's a Kiwi, good player
Panthers: Pritchard

A few of those players have really come from nowhere, Vuna is not so glaringly bad in D and his speed is exceptional obviously, Royal he's been unbelievably good for them in a bad team, last night they could not stop his offload, Teo is a good prospect, The Drgaons guys are top players in the making... good times ahead. The depth is really starting to build nicely.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
Anyone know when the Train on squad is announced?

Cant wait for the Test in Wellington - rare chance to see Sonny/Benji have a crack at the Aussies in our own backyard!

My Opinion:

Roosters - Perrett (Sa injured)
Tigers - Halatau, Marshall, Whatuira, Te'o, Harrison
Dragons - Stanley, Chase
Knights - Royal, Vuna, SeuSeu
Panthers - Pritchard, Daniela
Sharks - Covell

Skinner

Coach
So many good young blokes coming through....it augers so well. No need to bother
about ESL players either.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Frank Puletua has been our most consistent forward for the past 2 years, surely he is good enough to make the train-on-squad AT LEAST.

Pritchard will be there, Tony Puletua has been outstanding since moving to the front row.

Moors and Daniela would be good selections to the train-on-squad to get some experience.

Iafeta

Referee
Oops forgot Bunji.

What's up with Moors, why isn't he in the first grade team at Penrith at the moment? Is he injured?

Oz, amazingly on that Ellis, he was featured in the Daily Telegraph as being without a contract for 2008. Wonder if that's changed, because I think he has a toughness about him.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Panther_Daz said:
Haha, we must of posted about Frank Puletua at the same time!

:lol: good timing eh

I have said a few times this year, if your whole squad had Frank's attitude you would be well in the 8

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Iafeta said:
What's up with Moors, why isn't he in the first grade team at Penrith at the moment? Is he injured?

Penrith dropped a few players that came up half way through the year when their finals hopes were pretty much gone. I'd say they were dropped so they could play Premier League finals.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Moors has been outstanding in PL since going back there. Elliott has said Grant and Moors will play abit of First Grade this year to get a taste, both will become regulars in 08 IMO.

Moors' offload is really coming along well now, he is starting to use it at the right times, instead of pushing it too much.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Frankie Puletua - he would be in my playing squad he has been in good form this year for some reason if they havent picked him yet dont think they ever will? not sure why.

Maybe they think he is older than he actually is.

Benji wont be playing - hes playing injured he's gonna need some sort of op or rehab over the off-season. It not hard to tell. Maybe throw him in all golds match. Not worth risking injuring it even more.

Sa is out injured dislocated his hip.

Ben ellis - he aint got no chance. not this year anyway.

I think there is a junior kiwi game which has been changed to u/20 to fit with the new comp.
So a couple of those guys could play for that team.

I betcha Stanley and Lagi Setu will line-up for kangaroo U/20 side.
Still that dont mean jack.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Skinner said:
So many good young blokes coming through....it augers so well. No need to bother

I agree Skinner, we have all the talent and more in the NRL!

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Skinner said:

I disagree - I think there will be a few players who will still be considered. People like Hape who is still young and on top of his game still need to be up for consideration.
I also like Harrison Hansen from wigan.

Also depending on injuries people like Tame Tupou still might make the cut. Especially if injuries keep on occuring. Easy to through outside back straight into the team.

Not all of the kiwis are lazy hacks who couldnt foot it in the NRL. Though it could be argued most of them are.

Skinner

Coach
It's so much of a battle with the ESL clubs, it's not worth it. They come up with the same
bullsh*t every year......so stuff em.

Anyone who moves there needs to understand that their Kiwi jumper is out the window.

There is more than enough talent in Australasia.

If Shontayne was the goods, he'd be playing NRL.

ozbash

Referee
Canberra is the only club out of the NRL finals race without a player :lol: in the Australian train-on squad named on Monday.
Of the other seven clubs, St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters each provide four players.
The train-on squad will undergo medicals and a light training run on September 12 and 26 at the Sydney Football Stadium.
Squad members are eligible for Prime Minister’s XIII selection to play Papua New Guinea while the Kangaroos face the Kiwis in the Centenary Test in Wellington on October 14.
The Prime Minister’s XIII team will be announced on September 11.
The players named are: Greg Bird (Cronulla Sharks), Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks), Luke Douglas (Cronulla Sharks), Anthony Laffranchi (Gold Coast Titans), Scott Prince (Gold Coast Titans), Luke Bailey (Gold Coast Titans), Danny Buderus (Newcastle Knights), Steve Simpson (Newcastle Knights), Kurt Gidley (Newcastle Knights), Luke Lewis (Penrith Panthers), Trent Waterhouse (Penrith Panthers), Mark Gasnier (St George Illawarra Dragons), Matt Cooper (St George Illawarra Dragons), Ben Creagh (St George Illawarra Dragons), Jason Ryles (St George Illawarra Dragons), Braith Anasta (Sydney Roosters), Craig Wing (Sydney Roosters), Anthony Tupou (Sydney Roosters), Nate Myles (Sydney Roosters), Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers).

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
No Chase Stanley there which I was expecting from the ARL

NZRL must make their move now and put him in ours, it will probably be our best chance to get him for the kiwis

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
I read in the papers somewhere that Kemble had made his way to Aussie some time last week to inform players of their future in the Kiwis. Chase Stanley was one of them.

Players from clubs who didnt make the eight will start preparing for the tour next week in Sydney the article said. Kemble is doing a great job already in getting to players such as Stanley and letting them know that they do have a future with the Kiwis.
Among them were Luke, Inu, Chase.

P.S Say No to ESL!! Stuff us around too much. Stick with the talent we're developing here.

Latest posts