What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis v England Match Thread

RedVee

First Grade
I was disappointed with England. On the positive I thought O'Loughlin and Westwood were pretty ok, although was it Westwood (as well as Ellis) that missed SKD badly? The captain (Graham?) was ok but not menancing. I thought the halfback was pretty promising the 5/8 was average at best.

I found Ellis, Burgess & Widdop were very disappointing on the night, a one off I hope.

Where was Crabtree? England need to increase their agression - they were monstered by the Kiwis at times.

It looked like Kearney had borrowed from Wayne Bennetts hymn sheet at times, a very SGI-like approach with high completions and patience - and even a penalty goal.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
I thought James Graham was fairly good at times, a lot of second phase play from him. England's pack had some good moments, but at times Ben Matulino took it into his own hands to obliterate them with his D. Man he's a wicked defender! Line 'em up, cut 'em down.

Iafeta

Referee
Also, who was the Pom #4? He was dreadful. I'd love to have seen what Vatuvei would have done to a few of those Pom edge defenders.

The Observer

Staff member
I was hoping we'd see him go.. I think England have gone for a younger side to help them at the WC. Senior was a good defensive centre, but eh was too slow.. well past it... Raynor around? or does he stick to the wing?

The problem is below.. There are too many hopeless players / over the hill players and NZers playing in the centres.

The problem is with overworking the good players they have. Most of the players in the list play for, or are eligible for, emerging test nations like Wales, Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands and Italy. They deserve the right to professional contracts - taking them out would weaken those teams. Dropping these players would see reserve grade standard players come into their place, which would weaken the SL competition - these players won't increase standards of play in SL, nor add any genuine pressure on incumbent centres. Anyone near test team standard is already in SL.

Bradford 4.Nero (4) > why is he here, he's a fringe NRL player at best. Italian test centre
Castleford 4.Evans (4) - OK player, about 5 years ago. Welsh test centre
Crusaders 3.Dyer (14) > why is he here, he's a fringe NRL player at best. Welsh test centre 4.Mellars (4) - NZer NZ Maori rep, deserves his place
Catalans 3. Sa - NZer Eligible for Samoa
Harlequins 4. David Howell > why is he here, he's a fringe NRL player at best.
Huddersfield 4. Paul Whatuira - NZer Eligible for Cook Islands
Hull KR 4.Webster (4) - NZer & xWinger in the NRL An international class winger/centre, deserves his place. Also eligible for Greece
Leeds 4. Senior (4) > too old surely; retire Still an England contender
Salford 4.Talau (4) > too old surely; retire Toa Samoan centre, still good enough
St Helens 3.Gidley (3) > too old surely; retire former Kangaroo/NSW centre 4.Soliola (4) eligible for Toa Samoa
Wakefield 4.Millard (4) > why is he here, he's a fringe NRL player at best. Fiji test centre
Wigan 4.Carmont (4) - NZer Toa Samoa captain last weekend

anjado

Juniors
England lack a decent half this is why they always struggle to beat Australia and NZ in NZ, New Zealand have had Jones or Marshall in the halves and this is why they have improved so much.

England haven't had a decent halves combination since Schofield & Edwards and that was 18 years ago, Until this changes they will never improve they need either Tomkins to come to the NRL or Widdop to get a chance at five-eighth for Melbourne.

ozenzud

Juniors
I was watching from one end behind the sticks. I could not work out any sort of pattern or plan the pommies had. There seemed to be a sort of chuck it around without anybody actually hitting the gaps, sort of sideways plan. Their half has individual speed and step, but seems to run around like a chook with his head cut off, but doesn't seem to steer other players around or try to put them into gaps, or work the overlaps.

Forwards don't seem to look to offload either. Its a more adlib sort of football than we play. They are fit enough. They are big enough. They are individually skillful enough. But they don't have a style or a plan that will win games in my view.

Latest posts