What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knightsrebuild - time to do something.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Nice work.

For the first time in a very long time it seems the coach, the CEO and the fans are all on the same wavelength as to what has to happen at the knight in most aspects of our operation as a whole. (Except a few of your less educated fans)

Alex28

Coach
Matt's comments about Bird says it all. He wants to be the man, he wants to be paid to be the man, but doesn't have the balls to commit to it.

What makes me really cranky is that rather than calving out a great career here and become a great player, he's happier to take the easy cash and be a bit player up in Brisbane. Says it all about him.

Spot On

Coach
So we're not chasing any talent from the Broncos??? No pressure on player retention at that club??? Are they really able to have 3 x 1 million dollar players in Bird, Boyd and Milford plus their other origin stars in Thaiday, Gillett, McGuire, Oates and fringe rep players coming out of their ......

Are we targetting their young props??

Seage

Juniors
Have you got shares in the playing contracts of Ese'ese and Pangai Jr? You keep pushing that barrow. You'd think they were on the cusp origin selection.

I get we need to recruit young hungry forwards, just not sure why those blokes are your essential ingredient.

macavity

Referee
So we're not chasing any talent from the Broncos??? No pressure on player retention at that club??? Are they really able to have 3 x 1 million dollar players in Bird, Boyd and Milford plus their other origin stars in Thaiday, Gillett, McGuire, Oates and fringe rep players coming out of their ......

Are we targetting their young props??

That depends on the market value / TPA argument.

If the NRL insist that Bird is registered at what (or close to) what we offered cap-wise, they will be under cap pressure.

If the NRL cave and let them register him (and Milford, and Boyd) for some bullshit figure, they will have 3 players being paid well over 3 million between them, but on the cap for probably 1.5 or not much more.

Similar situation at the Dogs, where a lot of their players are on heavily back-ended deals cap-wise. They can't carry Graham and Woods and Foran at 1mil or close each (actual figures, not "cap" figures), Mbye at 700k-ish and the Morris boys at similar and credibly claim to put a squad around them.

Big test for the NRL - no faith in Greenburg to have the necessary balls.

Spot On

Coach
Have you got shares in the playing contracts of Ese'ese and Pangai Jr? You keep pushing that barrow. You'd think they were on the cusp origin selection.

I get we need to recruit young hungry forwards, just not sure why those blokes are your essential ingredient.

Are you serious? Do you understand who they have on their books and that 3 of their players will be on a million each???? Ummm, how can that happen????

You need only watch those 2 young props mate. A blind man can see it. Do you believe we have better atm? Same reason some in here shit themselves and cried for 6 months when Canberra poached Tapine. Why was that???????? These 2 will be stars.

The other reason is, if they are as good as I think they are, they 'should' be in demand but for some reason whilst they remain at Brisbane they'll simply sign and resign over the next decade for tiny amounts while their rep careers grow. We need to push their value through the roof by making huge offers to them while we have the cash. Why not? We need props and can legitimately bag both of it comes down to cash.

If the NRL are going to favour a few clubs with huge TPA advantages then we need to help ourselves by at least making sure they have to find a shitload of them to keep the players we can't.

If Mac is right and the NRL are actually going to grow a pair we can turn the heat up by throwing offers at the Broncs young talent.

Squeaky wheel Seage, squeaky wheel.

Last edited:

Seage

Juniors
I don't disagree on any of the above. Nor your logic. I'd like Brisbane's accountant to be running my finances because they make 5+2=4. It just seemed like a strange focus on two forwards out of a potentially big pool of fringe forwards who might get squeezed out across the NRL.

You'd love to think that even if we couldnt sign them we would be able to stitch Brisbane up with an inflated price, but I learned that Brisbane find away to never be disadvantaged.

Think what we'd have to pay Boyd if we still had him.

Spot On

Coach
Yep agreed. I just think they'll develop into better players than any other 'fringe' forward/props that may come available. Bennett has already started Herman in front of the great Korbin at times and he's only played a handful of games. He doesn't do that often with young props.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Yep agreed. I just think they'll develop into better players than any other 'fringe' forward/props that may come available. Bennett has already started Herman in front of the great Korbin at times and he's only played a handful of games. He doesn't do that often with young props.

You had me sold till u refererred to Sims 'the great Korbin' lol...

Johns Magic

Referee
Matt's comments about Bird says it all. He wants to be the man, he wants to be paid to be the man, but doesn't have the balls to commit to it.

What makes me really cranky is that rather than calving out a great career here and become a great player, he's happier to take the easy cash and be a bit player up in Brisbane. Says it all about him.

Bit harsh. He's a young back worried about playing behind a bad pack and whether the recruitment plans to improve it will fall into place. I can't blame him at all.

Knight76

Juniors
Have the NRL came out and made any statement about not registering players for less than their market value?

I wouldn't read too much in to Gids talk about pushing the market value agenda. The NRL do not (on the record) consider TPA's are paid in lieu of wages at clubs. They have published that players sign for less cap money due to wanting to play under a coach, or that a club has better support staff FFS. They have their excuse to cover themselves lined up already.

Spot On

Coach
I dont disagree with you 76. What you have written is fact. There is precedent the NRL set with the Falou to Parra deal years ago.

This is an opportune time for the NRL to get on the front foot. Their letter to the dogs was made public. Whether that was just window dressing remains to be seen but there are a lot of eyes and media watching. The coverage of the player market is saturated. There have been many very good articles written about the shady and shonky world of TPA deals. Roy Masters in particular has published some damning articles. The one about the Andrew Gee affair was a cracker.

I strongly believe Gids needs to remain vigilant in pointing out to Greenburg the offers we make and the end result. We can be very strategic in who we offer big money to and at which clubs they are at to make sure the inequity is continually highlighted.

If we miss out on players we target then so be it, but I want to see the club we miss to paying top dollar for that player. Corey Parker claims he was on 250K at Brisbane. I mean FFS.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Why would the NRL refuse to register a 700k contract and 300k TPA for Bird?

Because 700k is below market value, and TPA's are not considered compensation for signing with a club - they are "supposed to be" completely independent of the club.

Johns Magic

Referee
Because 700k is below market value, and TPA's are not considered compensation for signing with a club - they are "supposed to be" completely independent of the club.

Don't agree with this logic.

Let's say Bord Cordner wanted to move home to Newcastle. We offer him $700k a year, and a club like the Warriors who he'd never want to move to offer $1mn. Should we be forced to pay him $300k extra under our cap?

If all clubs value a player in the $650k-$750k range and then one outlier desperate club(like us) offers $1mn, I don't think the rest of the clubs should have to match our offer.

Too many ways to exploit this rule as well I think.

The TPA's we all agree on.

Spot On

Coach
I think there are standout cases JM such as Corey Parker's claim he was on 250K at the Broncos.

I also find it hard to believe that many players are forgoing (as an example) 300K per season, for every year of their contract. Are these blokes that well off that they can forgo more than a million over 3 or 4 years???? Really? They aren't in the game for very long and their earning capacity when the footy career is over is not going to be anywhere near what they could rake in when playing. Add to that they % they lose out of their contract to give the manager.

Johns Magic

Referee
I think there are standout cases JM such as Corey Parker's claim he was on 250K at the Broncos.

Yes that is an example of where the "market value" rule comes in. When every other club on the street would pay him double that. Not when one or two outlier clubs would offer a bit more.

I also find it hard to believe that many players are forgoing (as an example) 300K per season, for every year of their contract. Are these blokes that well off that they can forgo more than a million over 3 or 4 years???? Really? They aren't in the game for very long and their earning capacity when the footy career is over is not going to be anywhere near what they could rake in when playing. Add to that they % they lose out of their contract to give the manager.

That's not the point though. Players may take a bit less money to be at a successful club or where they want to be and there is nothing wrong with that within reason.

The idea being discussed would mean every player must get a contract equal to the highest bid they could receive in the market, wherever they play. Sometimes money is a sacrifice players will make for happiness.

Part of the advantage of developing juniors is supposedly that you can retain them cheaper. The Saifiti's for example we are hoping to keep for less because they like the area and the club. If say the Raiders came through and gave them an overs Tapine offer, are you saying we should not be allowed to offer them what we think is reasonable and what they would be happy to accept?

Spot On

Coach
There's a 'bit' less money then there is 300K a year. Would you knock back an extra 300K a year JM? I can cop knocking 30K or so back but not hundreds of thousands. I'm sorry, but that charity or stupidity doesn't exist in a profession where one is likely to last only a few years at the top.

Any player manager with half a brain wouldnt advise a client to forgo a million.