What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kokoda - Foxtel

Delboy

First Grade
i have just finished watching the doco on Foxtel of Hindy, Fletch and Jess Yates completing the Kokoda Trail, if you have the chance to record it , please do as its a must.

Sit down with family , particularly children and grandchildren and take it all in

It is amazing and just underline how tough our Diggers and the Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels were, congrats to the crew and participants , just an amazing documentary

TheParraboy

Staff member
This has been running for a couple of weeks now
Been repeated heaps

Hindy the only one that did the trek with a 20kg backpack on his back0
Fletch and the professor aborted that after 3 hrs (the trek was just under 6 days)

The trek looks horrendous, sheers amazement what the diggers went through

Pretty awesome doco, agree everyone should have a look at it

Suitman

Post Whore
I only saw it for the first time last night. I too thought it was fantastic. Quite inspiring and emotional, with well timed intermittent humour.

I too would like to record it and show it to the kids.
If anyone knows when it will again be repeated, could you please post the time here.

Cheers.

Suitman

Post Whore
Fletch owes that tiny little bloke a few beers.

Geez, he was a tough, fit little fella, eh?
What an inspirational human.
It's no wonder our troops came out on top with assistance like that.
What a horrible terrain to be holding back and fighting the enemy though. Such a random place.

What a horrible terrain to be holding back and fighting the enemy though. Such a random place.

Yeh, I find it a bit eerie. My great uncle fought there (originally starting as a 17 year old in the militia near Milne Bay, but then moving to the regulars). He was one f**ked up human when he came back, but a lovely bloke. Seeing it in the broad daylight rather than dark black and white film was odd.

Gronk

Staff member
Nathan Hindmarsh is one tough bastard.
Hindy has always been like that. Merkins said that he has a big motor referring to a physical advantage, but really he is mentally so strong and giving up is never an option.

It’s no surprise to me that he conquered Kokoda.

don't forget Hindy has chronic arthritis in his big toe as well and didn't complain once about.
Jess was a trooper too.
I know fletch has some back problems from footy so can understand a bit but he lacked drive for a while early on but came home strong.
Great doco well worth the watch, watched it on ANZAC day with the the wife who hates footy but was in awe of what they did, we even talked after about doing it ourselves, she is fit as and would make it no problems, me on the other hand have a dodgy knee and carrying about 10kgs too much would struggle big time.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Hindy has always been like that. Merkins said that he has a big motor referring to a physical advantage, but really he is mentally so strong and giving up is never an option.

It’s no surprise to me that he conquered Kokoda.

Yup mentally he is unbelievable

About half way through his league career didn't some doctor/scientist test his tolerance to lactic acid?
From memory this doc had tested athletes all over the world and Hindys results were through the roof

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member

The porters are amazing

The porter with Jess said it was his 8th trip for the year (I know this doco was filmed after the footy season last year)

Bloody insane they do it that regular, they are probably used to it and it helps them financially , but still bloody tough buggers

Gronk

Staff member
The porters are amazing

The porter with Jess said it was his 8th trip for the year (I know this doco was filmed after the footy season last year)

Bloody insane they do it that regular, they are probably used to it and it helps them financially , but still bloody tough buggers

Much like the Sherpa porters of the Hymalayas.

Or perhaps it exposes that privileged white people are as soft AF.