What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Korbin out?

Spot On

Coach
Definitely has balls. Saying he's not buying anyone for 2017 because he only wants rep players is the bravest move you'd see from a coach.

Tanking another season after 2016 he must be pretty confident in the support he has within the club.

Spot on I think you need to read my posts more closely. No one is saying Brown needs to make the finals or churn out rep stars or even win that many games.

He needs to pick the best side and have the players he does have at his disposal improving, individually and as a team, especially in defence. And he's bought five guys this year that will be in the best 17. Another season of 50 point spankings isn't all on Hagan and co.

I understand that. However, I didn't expect to see the side improve like you did knowing they were not playing in the same positions every week and seeing how many kids we had running around. Not only that but the players we had in key positions were absolute tripe and that's being nice.

I have no doubt we will be in for some big defeats this season. I expect it.

Knight76

Juniors
The media where else. The media tends to over inflate contracts like with Ponga, i'm sure they are capable of under inflating them also.

From what I read, we refused to pay him one cent for leaving, so the deal had to be all Brisbane. The media reported his deal is small this year, larger next year. He must have REALLY wanted to leave with that sort of earnings drop.

Knight76

Juniors
I wonder if the Mullen situation had anything to do with him leaving.

He tweeted the following with a pic of him and Mullen.

I'd like to thank the knights for the career they gave me, it will not be forgotten. Excited about the new chapter of my life for my career and family. I miss my little mate #loveyoubrother

Frederick

Staff member
The media where else. The media tends to over inflate contracts like with Ponga, i'm sure they are capable of under inflating them also.

From what I read, we refused to pay him one cent for leaving, so the deal had to be all Brisbane. The media reported his deal is small this year, larger next year. He must have REALLY wanted to leave with that sort of earnings drop.
He's already received ~90k from the knights, so that plus the Broncos contract puts him on 180ish for the year

Knight76

Juniors
Yeah thats still half what he was going to get from us though. My point was more that we refused to pay any of his salary once he left the Knights.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I don't have a problem with letting Korbin leave but the thing that irks me is why this didn't happen straight after the 2016 season finished. Surely Brown must have had an incling that Korbin wanted out last year (even if he didn't say so I t was obvious in his on field attitude and performances) so we should have given him the option to look elsewhere straight away.

But for some reason we waited until 6 weeks out from the 2017 season to let him go and which leaves a fairly sizeable hole in our roster (especially since Pauli has been injured now) and we have precious little time to replace him before the season starts.

Not to mention the mental effect on the rest of the playing group to have an experienced player like Korbin depart mid way through the pre-season like that. It can't be good for the other players.

Spot On

Coach
Because he was at the bottom of the Broncos shopping list and was an after thought for them.

The Korbin rumours had been around for a quite some time but I don't think there was a lot of interest in him from other clubs before the preseason started?

The Broncs went after Napa and James, who they would have tabled large offers to, thought they would have got one of them but failed to lure either so they grabbed Sims to add to their prop depth.

He did them a massive favour by forgoing a couple of hundred thousand apparently but looked after us by dropping 300K into Brown's recruitment fund.

That's looking at it very simply.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
He's been really good since he got here. I'm very pleased that we managed to sign him," Bennett said.

"He was an ex-Bronco so he was really keen to come back to the club and do well. He doesn't look out of place at all.

"His best is yet to come. He's had about four years of social loafing. I think he's ready to show us what he's really got."

http://m.nrl.com/bennett-backs-sims-to-shine/tabid/10874/newsid/104175/default.aspx

Nice to hear from Wayne.

I wasn't too fussed with his performance last night to be honest. More effort than he served up here but nothing special.

Johns Magic

Referee
what the hell is social loafing??

I think it involves playing such poor footy that you have to take a 300K paycut on your next contract.

1460305851178.jpg

Caped Crusader

Juniors
2 good runs last night for the Donkeys, including a decent offload. Not sure on his minutes but they didnt seem long

How long before his first brain explosion penalty?

Knight76

Juniors
I think it was 49 minutes. just over 111m gain I think. His stats for half a game look ok. But watching the actual game, he did a few things and nothing for long stretches, when on the field.

He looked genuinely surprised he was getting the ball a few times.

Knight76

Juniors
Rochow had a worse game for the bunnies than Korbin did for the broncs.

He had more minuted for less yardage and 3 missed tackles.

Mins: 52
ARM: 63
Runs: 7
Tackles: 28
missed: 3

Spot On

Coach
Korbin played well. And he has to - he can barely afford to pay rent and eat on his current Broncos contract. He has no choice but to put in, find form and stay consistent.

As far as Rochow is concerned, he played up to his potential. What you see is what you get. Hes nothing special, just a first grader who makes his tackles and the odd hit up. I never understood why some wrapped him so much????? Some thought him a club captain????

Last edited:

Latest posts