Las Vegas Shooter

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Smack, Oct 2, 2017.

1. myrrh ken

myrrh ken Bench

Quality public education and affordable universal health care and family services? Come on, lets be realistic.

2. madunit

madunit Super Moderator Staff Member

People have the opportunity to hand in their weapons. Law abiding people will do that.

Criminals will hang onto them.

It's barely any more drastic than what happened in Australia in 1996. That wasn't in any way tyrranical.

3. rockcod

rockcod Juniors

Where did I talk about home invasions? Think your getting confused.

No, alternate views are cool, you are on next level with the anti gun rants so I thought you were trolling

Why are you talking about killing deer and stuff with semi auto's people don't generally use semis for hunting game, you have no clue about firearms and shooting and that's ok but you shouldn't really be all for banning stuff and carrying on like a loon when you don't even understand the basics.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Immortal

Well... no they won't

If people are told by the government to hand in their guns knowing that crims will still have them, that will just make people more likely to want to keep their guns...

5. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Um yeah, ok. Do you reckon the Soviets, The Chinese and the Viet cong are gonna help out Joe Average just as they did the NVA?

f**k me.

6. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Yeah, see above mate.

7. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Maybe I shouldn't use the word tyranny so flippantly, but I'd say that if a government brings in a new law against the will of the people, then enforces it with ruthless force, it is at least starting to border on tyranny.

Australia is a very different society to the states. My memory of the gun hand in was that people were fairly happy to do it. Although I was pretty young and may have missed the dissenters.

8. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

I'm not ignoring anything, I'm pointing out that the reality. Although I agree that in such an event, fragmentation of the armed forces could well be likely, it's a given such fragmentation would result in a similar fragmentation of arms.

9. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

No. But that's not the point. The question was about whether a well armed populace could withstand a modern army. the examples I listed suggest that it's possible.

In this case, foreign superpowers providing arms would be unnecessary.

10. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Yet in those examples they did, not to mention they had their own armies , so let's not try and rewrite history....................

11. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

They did. But they wouldn't have to in this instance.

My point is only that a modern army can be defeated by guerilla tactics. I understand they are not perfect comparisons. The Cuban example is different again (I'm talking about the revolution not the attempted US intervention).

12. Smack

Smack Bench

They won't need too. But isn't that how proxy civil wars start?

13. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Well, I'll disagree in as much as that whilst I'm quite sure it would still be a shit fight, there is no f**king way an incumbent US government gets overthrown by militias whilst they have the support of the US armed forces, yet without that support they are well and truly f**ked, regardless of the level of armament a militia/s might possess.

14. AJB1102

AJB1102 Juniors

How strong would the military remain though? I reckon majority soldiers fight for the people.

All I know is I'd sure as f**k tune in to watch. Absolute ratings blockbuster they definitely should do it.

Smack likes this.
  15. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

What are you on about? You cited Vietnam as an example of how militias might oppose and / or defeat the US military, which is a crock of shit example as whilst the Viet cong were a militia, they supported the NVA ( a sovereign army ) who were in turn supported by Russia and China.

Yeah it's a civil war by proxy, but that's immaterial as any kind of argument to the point at hand.

16. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Again my point was whoever had the support of the armed forces wins, here it is again....

17. Smack

Smack Bench

The populace are armed enough to form a resistance, is my point.

The vietcong won by nullifying American air/arty power using hit and run tactics at close range, using AK's and grenades.

18. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

FFS. The Viet Cong were part of an alliance with the NVA, who were in turn supported by the Russians and the Chinese.

19. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Oh. A shit fight no doubt.

I think an outright victory for either side would be nearly impossible. Secession of the southern states wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility though.

20. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

Even so, based on that out come, we are still at the point where it doesn't matter a f**k how well armed a civilian militia might be, they aint overthrowin' the evil Guvmint.