What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest news Brisbane Bid

elbusto

Coach
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...o-tv-rights-deal/story-fndujljl-1227465390327

THE NRL is set for expansion with a second Brisbane team to rival the Broncos tipped to clinch a licence by 2018 in a move worth an extra $200 million to the code’s next TV rights deal.
Brisbane Bombers bid chairman Craig Davison can see only one certainty in the NRL’s future premiership format — there will be a fourth Queensland team playing out of Suncorp Stadium in 2018.
NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson is presently conducting a ‘whole-of-game’ review and several prospective NRL franchises are sweating on a possible call for submissions later this year.
But Davison said he is “100 per cent” sure the ARL Commission will install a second Brisbane club to challenge the Broncos, a scenario that has the support of Nine Network boss David Gyngell.
The addition of a second Brisbane team would be a massive coup for Queensland as the state’s premier venue, Suncorp Stadium, ramps up plans to host the NRL grand final.
LATE MAIL: Parker cleared to play
ALLEGATIONS: Cowboys in the clear
RATINGS: Who would win all Qld GF?

327339-0b1c7678-374e-11e5-abab-c01a58cce53e.jpg

Brisbane Bombers bid director Craig Davison. Source: News Limited

“I am of the view that in 2018 there will be a second Brisbane team, 100 per cent,” Davison said.
“I must make it clear that there is no guarantee the Brisbane team in 2018 will be the Bombers, there are other bids out there.
“This is a business. The one thing alluded to by David Gyngell and people we talk to is around the fact that the next NRL club has to be a Brisbane CBD, top-end-of-town, commercial bid.
“This can’t be a community bid. This is about a bigger commercial team.
“If they are talking about a TV rights bid north of $1.5 billion for 2018, then the extra Brisbane team would be worth $200m to the whole rights process.
“If any commercial decision is made by the NRL to put a team in, we know it’s going to be located in the Brisbane CBD.’’
Davison suggested the ARLC may opt for a 17-team league, meaning a bye each weekend. But the Central Queensland and Brothers bid teams told The Courier-Mail they did not think that outcome likely.
Brothers bid chief Justin Barlow said he believed the most likely outcome was a 16-team NRL, with increased investment in the Queensland and NSW Cup competitions.
An increase to 17 or 18 teams would mean the NRL competition would need another 25 or 50 players of first-grade quality at a time when it wanted to maximise earnings from the new television rights deal from 2018-22.

“I personally think it will remain the same amount of teams we have,’’ Barlow said.
“There may be two new identities, (with) relocation (of existing clubs) or partnerships, and more investment in the second tier.”
The Bombers plan to play home games at Suncorp Stadium, with the Brothers playing as many as four a season at regional cities with the rest at Suncorp.
The Western Corridor bid team would also reside at Suncorp, at least until they can secure funding to build a boutique stadium near Ipswich.
Other cities making bids included Wellington, Gosford and Perth, although Davison believes the NRL may not explore Western Australia for another five years.
Central Queensland bid team owner Geoff Murphy said he had not heard any recent speculation about a 17-team NRL.
“Six months ago I did hear talk about that but when I spoke to NRL people they said they didn’t want anything between 16-18,” Murphy said.
Gold Coast chief executive Graham Annesley said he was sure the ARLC would consider the financial health of the entire competition in deciding on the premiership future.
“As a club CEO, I’m concerned about the business aspects and the impact expansion could have on that,’’ Annesley said.
“There are not too many (NRL) clubs turning a profit and I’m sure it has to be part of their thinking in when do we expand and where do we expand to.”

Stranga

Juniors
Can't wait for another Brisbane team! About time.

Let's all hope that they're not incompetent like the Crushers and actually manage to find success both on and off the field.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There will be no expansion imo. Current clubs are too f**ed and nrl has no balls to make the tough decisions needed.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There will be another Brisbane team through expansion or other means.

Gyng needs more Brisbane content...

Diesel

Referee
I don't care if there is a second Brisbane team but not the f**king Bombers, comeon.

Notice in the picture the Brisbane Bombers' Jeep was registered in Victoria, just another reason to hate this bid even more.

I'm all for a 2nd Brisbane team just as long as it's not the Bombers

some11

Referee
Brothers have a leg to stand on, this plastic bid won't capture hearts and minds.

RoosTah

Juniors
I know I'm not from Qld, but what do people have against the bombers? Name and logo look pretty cool and at least for once it'll be a Qld team whose name isn't cut and pasted straight from the NFL...

Brutus

Referee
I know I'm not from Qld, but what do people have against the bombers? Name and logo look pretty cool and at least for once it'll be a Qld team whose name isn't cut and pasted straight from the NFL...

No. It's just been cut and pasted from the AFL.

mongoose

Coach
Brothers have a leg to stand on, this plastic bid won't capture hearts and minds.

I favor the Brothers bid but the NRL will be looking at a new franchise that can attract the broadest range of new fans. Sadly something new and flashy (plastic) with no ties to any existing teams or sub regions will most likely attract the most new fans, particularly those in their early 20s and under. Would be nice for a QLD cup side like the Jets to get promoted but most people in SEQLD would never ever go for a team from Ipswich.

RoosTah

Juniors
No. It's just been cut and pasted from the AFL.

Yeah maybe, but they're all "plastic" all the same... what makes Bombers more plastic than the NFL carbon copy Broncos?

I mean "Brothers" just looks far less polished and sounds kinda lame I reckon.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yeah maybe, but they're all "plastic" all the same... what makes Bombers more plastic than the NFL carbon copy Broncos?

They need to be different from the Broncos though... Have a different angle other than another flashy plastic team other wise why would people support them and not the Broncos?

Not sure either about Brothers though... Not cool enough for the kiddies...

docbrown

Coach
They're talking about 9 games, Brisbane and Perth. Not the Bombers & Pirates necessarily, it will likely be put to competitive tender with NRL branding oversight.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I favor the Brothers bid but the NRL will be looking at a new franchise that can attract the broadest range of new fans. Sadly something new and flashy (plastic) with no ties to any existing teams or sub regions will most likely attract the most new fans, particularly those in their early 20s and under. Would be nice for a QLD cup side like the Jets to get promoted but most people in SEQLD would never ever go for a team from Ipswich.

I dont understand where people get this perception from....

On the 2 occasions that the had the opportunity brand the game, the logo and the trophy name, they chose to exploit the games history; the logos are massively simplified and streamlined designs, and they chose to ditch a sponsor just to title the Premiership trophy after 2 of the games legends.

IN CONTRAST!!!! the old boys of RL that run half the clubs think its a good idea to change the teams Main design every 3 years, put out 8 different versions every year, and change the logo to some cartoonish bullshit.

History is its own value and i trust the ARLC to recognise that better than some dumbass ex-player would.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The Brothers were founded in the 1920 and are rooted deep throughout most of Qld...

They have a fuller history and a longer history (literally) than most clubs in the NRL today!!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They're talking about 9 games, Brisbane and Perth. Not the Bombers & Pirates necessarily, it will likely be put to competitive tender with NRL branding oversight.

Im more inclined to believe they would follow the model used in the Knights/Tigers/Titans, except building a club in its entirety....

The ARLC could select the board they feel is best suited, pick a brand they believe has the greatest appeal and not need to even consider the demands of some of the lunatic bidders. Why put one bid against another when they can cherrypick the best parts of both??

Canard

Immortal
A 2018 start would require confirmation by the end of this season at the latest, to allow for infrastructure, recruiting, setting up junior pathways etc.

Sadly, I can't see this being anything more than bluster from one of several "bidders"

bobmar28

Bench
Bombers is too AFL, Brothers is too lame.
Location is the key, bring in the Ipswich Jets.