What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LATINOS LOOK FORWARD TO PACKED CALENDAR

latingringo101

Juniors
LATINOS LOOK FORWARD TO PACKED CALENDAR

Alvaro-Training-crop-768x403.jpg

GYG LATIN Heat Rugby League players return to squad training this week, with big ambitions for the coming months.

Firmly in the top squad’s sights will be the Liberty Cup match against a combined USA/Canada team at St Mary’s Stadium, west of Sydney, on September 30.

The Liberty Cup is intended to become an annual fixture, pitting Latin America’s finest against the North American powerhouses.

Former Australian Test player Aaron Raper will guide Latin America in their preparation for the event.

A second senior team, the Latin Heat Development Squad, will play the following day (October 1) against another developing region, most likely Africa United at Liverpool All Saints, Sydney.

There will also be fixtures for the Heat’s youth squads, with details of the NRL One Community Redfern Nines (Under 18s) and Harmony Cup (Under 16s) events still pending.

While all the above events will see the Latin America compete as a combined entity, they will then separate into individual nations for the Latino Nines event at Moorebank, Sydney on October 22.

Improving immensely entertaining and popular last year, the Latino Nines title will see Chile as defending nations up against contenders such as El Salvador, Peru, Uruguay, Ecuador and possibly Nicaragua, Argentina and Mexico.

A mirrored event is being developed for Brisbane at around the same time that will see a Brazilian heritage side take on Colombia and El Salvador.

Last in 2016, but certainly not least, will be a three-way tournament on November 12-13 between hosts Argentina and Chile and Brazil at Miramar, south of the Argentinian capital.

The largely domestic teams will stage the first intra-Latino games being played on South American soil.

http://www.latinheatrl.com/2016/08/05/latinos-look-forward-to-packed-calendar/

Evil Homer

Staff member
It's held over two days so i think there'll be enough time for each team to play each other.
No there won't, you would have to have one team playing two full matches on the same day which is a ridiculous ask unless one of the countries can field 30+ players and put out two different teams.

jim_57

Staff member
Realistically this isn't 100+ kg peak fitness, full time professionals going at it where you need a week to recover. I'm sure plenty of players at amateur level manage to play 2 games on a weekend regularly, then there's carnivals and the like which would be more.

That's assuming they are even full 80mins and not shortened games.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Realistically this isn't 100+ kg peak fitness, full time professionals going at it where you need a week to recover. I'm sure plenty of players at amateur level manage to play 2 games on a weekend regularly, then there's carnivals and the like which would be more.

That's assuming they are even full 80mins and not shortened games.
Playing two matches in two days is doable, playing two full 80 minute games back to back is a pretty unpleasant experience regardless of the standard.

yakstorm

First Grade
I don't think anyone who has backed up and played two grades of RL in the one day would argue with you EH, however I guess it's just a necessary evil to get this concept going.

From what I understand is the Brazilian side had committed to the tour first and was only going to be in that part of Argentina for 2 days. Chile has since said they want to tour and a Tri-Series has been been together in the small window everyone is there for.

Not great but I can understand the logic. Being honest from personal preference I'd rather play twice in the same day than back up the following.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Latin heat doing so much great work to get games happening and grow the rugby league game not only to expats in Australia but to Central and South American countries.

latingringo101

Juniors
THE rivalry between Latin America and North America will be thrust into the spotlight via a rugby league game played on Sydney’s doorstep.

Liberty-Cup-Latino_Horvat-768x403.gif

Representing the combined nations of Latin America in the September 30 contest will be the GYG Latin Heat, a team which has existed since 2013.

Opposing the Latinos will be a North American side featuring players from both Canada and the USA, known as the CanAm Grizzlies.

The event will take place at St Mary’s Stadium, west of Sydney near Penrith. Buy your tickets for $5 by clicking HERE.

GYG Latin Heat president Daniel Godinez said his team would be eager to dispel the misconception that Latin Americans were only good at soccer and baseball.

“People do raise their eyebrows in surprise when they see a rugby league side full of Latin Americans, but I promise you our guys are tough and they can play,” Mr Godinez said.

“There are going to be players from both teams wanting to get selected for next year’s Rugby League World Cup and the potential Emerging Nations World Cup.

“We expect the Grizzlies will be one of the hardest sides we have ever faced, but we have pride in who we represent and want to capture the toughness of our people.

“Just like boxing, anytime you talk about Latin Americans competing against North Americans you know there will be passionate support and a deep desire to win.

“If you combine the population of Latin America with that of USA and Canada, we’re talking almost 1 billion people.”

While you could expect the majority of a Latin American rugby league team to come from Argentina, that is not the case with the GYG Latin Heat.

In fact, the majority of the squad comes from the nations of Chile, Peru, El Salvador, Uruguay, Ecuador and Colombia.

However the Heat welcomes players with heritage in all Central and South American regions, from Mexico in the north, to Cabo de Hornos (Cape Horn) in the south.

Aside from its elite men’s team which will play North America, the Heat also has a development team for players newer to the sport.

The Heat development team will play Africa United at Liverpool All Saints, Hillier Oval, on Saturday October 1.

Children aged 14-18 can also represent Latin America in one of the Heat’s youth squads.

http://www.latinheatrl.com/2016/09/16/its-rugby-leagues-battle-of-the-americas/

adamkungl

Immortal
So the games v Americans and Africans are on separate days and locations? That's a pity, probably can't make both