What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laurie Daley Sacked

kbw

Bench
Laurie Daley may well be a terrific guy and that might be the problem. Maybe you need an asshole to coach origin.
Toovey may or may not be an asshole but he would not put up with crap.

There is talk about Fittler but he like Daley was a wonderful player but a shit coach. If Fittler was selected then it would be more of the same

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Whether he's a shit coach or not was not the point. You said the players wanted him back because they were crawling and I stated the players were genuine in wanting him to stay on because they liked him and felt he wasn't the problem. Whether he was a good coach or not is entirely different matter.

I didn't say the players wanted him back, I said no player with half a brain will go on record as not wanting the current coach back. What they want privately and what they say publicly can be 2 totally different things.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Laurie Daley may well be a terrific guy and that might be the problem. Maybe you need an asshole to coach origin.
Toovey may or may not be an asshole but he would not put up with crap.

There is talk about Fittler but he like Daley was a wonderful player but a shit coach. If Fittler was selected then it would be more of the same

Fittler's got a lot more of a clue than Daley, he did take a struggling team from down the bottom of the ladder to almost a top 8 spot in half a season. The following year he took that side to the top 4. I will agree that long term he was going to cut it as he ran out of ideas pretty quickly and was too much one of the boys. I would back Freddy to go much better than Daley, however the stocks are pretty thin for decent options.

King hit

Coach
I was very impressed at how he got City up in Mudgee this year and Fittler has long been involved in the NSW set up and working with the junior reps so he isn't inexperienced. I think he has learn a few things since coaching the Roosters and his record wasn't a total failure. They made the top 4 in one of those seasons so there is something there. He is also the kind of guy all NSW players would be in awe of and that's how Origin coaches from both sides are picked really.

carcharias

Immortal
No media affiliated person pls FFS
In saying that I've always thought Tunks might make a good origin coach.
There'd be be no bullshit from him I suppose.

Toovey would do a good job
...or at the very least would appear interested.

kbw

Bench
Fittler's got a lot more of a clue than Daley, he did take a struggling team from down the bottom of the ladder to almost a top 8 spot in half a season. The following year he took that side to the top 4. I will agree that long term he was going to cut it as he ran out of ideas pretty quickly and was too much one of the boys. I would back Freddy to go much better than Daley, however the stocks are pretty thin for decent options.

he had a 43% winning percentage. Not real good.
He did excel at eating muffins in those 2 and a bit years though.
To be fair I think he has matured a bit since then and would do a better job, but they need a head kicker

kbw

Bench
No media affiliated person pls FFS
In saying that I've always thought Tunks might make a good origin coach.
There'd be be no bullshit from him I suppose.

BS is all you would get with Tunks.
I witnessed his efforts at junior coaching and it was not pretty, a massive amount of hot air.
What used to make me laugh is on his radio he would bag junior clubs building super teams to win competitions and thats exactly what he did at South Eastern, although he always kept losing that elusive GF

davi

Juniors
Ricky Stuart has slammed the way NSWRL has handle Laurie Daley's termination.

While I can appreciate Stuart want's to stand up for an ex-teammate, I think he's overreaching.

NSWRL did two things,

1. Informed Daley before it went to the media.
2. Released a gracious statement thanking Daley for his efforts.

As a observer I see no problems how Daley's departure was handled.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-26/stuart-blasts-nswrl-over-handling-of-daley-axing/8845070

carcharias

Immortal
BS is all you would get with Tunks.
I witnessed his efforts at junior coaching and it was not pretty, a massive amount of hot air.
What used to make me laugh is on his radio he would bag junior clubs building super teams to win competitions and thats exactly what he did at South Eastern, although he always kept losing that elusive GF
So
Tunks has coached at least.
I thought an old school blues prop like him would get a bit of respect from the players.

Daley hasn't coached shit