What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lawrence keen to play Origin

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Standout Tiger ready to face wolves of Queensland

GLENN JACKSON

June 27, 2010
IN-FORM Wests Tigers centre Chris Lawrence has no qualms about being thrown into the pit against a red-hot Queensland outfit if he becomes part of the widespread reform sought for State of Origin III.
''I got thrown to the wolves in my first NRL game,'' said Lawrence, who scored on debut against eventual premiers Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium in 2006.
''That's the way sometimes you've got to do it. You take your opportunities whenever they come. You don't complain - you take it with both hands and you do the best you can.''

Penrith centre Michael Jennings might have thrown his hands up, with three tries against Manly on Friday night, but Lawrence was not far off his pace.
The 21-year-old was a standout in a beaten side, scoring a try and setting up his team's only other four-pointer in a 34-10 defeat at the hands of premiership favourites St George Illawarra.
''I'd love to play,'' Lawrence said of Origin. ''If my name gets called out I'd be ecstatic, but all I'm worried about at the moment is trying to focus on next week and getting a win up for the Tigers.''
Jennings is back into contention, with Blues selectors seemingly preparing to bow to pressure by picking a team with the future in mind.
Jennings has been switched back to the left side for his club in the past fortnight, with success.
But he has played the rest of this season on the right, reassuring Blues selectors that they could place the flyer on either side.
Lawrence, a left-sided player, would be considered more of a bolter, having rarely come up in discussions about NSW outfits this year. But he says he's ready.
''I thought I was ready last year and then I broke my ankle and that ruled me out for all the Origin season,'' Lawrence said. ''That was really disappointing. But it gave me a lot of motivation for the start of this year.
''It was a goal to play Origin but first the goal was to play consistent footy for the Tigers.
''I feel I've been doing it. I've just got to keep doing it. If I keep playing good, hopefully my name will be read out.''
His Wests Tigers coach, Tim Sheens, the Australian mentor, said Lawrence would not be out of place in any side.
''I think Chris can handle any level of football,'' Sheens said.
''His form's been pretty good and he handled that side of the field well.
''He was up against the NSW right centre [Beau Scott, on Friday night] and I think Chrissy showed plenty of spark.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-face-wolves-of-queensland-20100626-zaqx.html

The bolded bit says it all really.

The selectors are hardly even considering him.

The Gambler

Juniors
Yeh what tripe. Lawrence proved he is a class above Beau Scott on Friday night. The only other option they are probably considering would be Josh Morris, but he has been ordinary at best this year and by no means deserves a start in game 3.

Latest posts