What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lay of the land

Shredder

Juniors
OK - so lets look at this from Clearys perspective.

He got a job as a coach and his main remit was to rebuild the team (not resign the existing team).

We put offers on the table for all four - signed one - then took the offer off for Moses (according to the Tigers).

The Tigers figured that Moses was the easiest to replace.

Cleary MUST have something in his back pocket. He knows we are short a half for next year. So Im fairly confident we will be OK there.
I suspect we will pick up a half early next week. Further if we play competitively and dont get pumped against the Cows I reckon Teddy and Woods will stay.

I just find it surprising that we are not being linked to Bird -

The reality is we need to buy a half.

Tough first week in the office for Cleary.

Clifferd

Coach
Let's not forget what he did with Penrith - sacked Jennings and Lewis and they made the top 4 next year. Only reason they went poor the season after was injuries after many had them pushing for a grand final berth

He knows what he is doing and probably has a plan but I'd say he's tried his best to keep Teddy and woods on board, whatever deals he has arranged for them. Whatever they want to do is in their own hands

Vic Mackey

Referee
Bird is a tremendous player but he isn't the half for us. We need one over 25 with experience. Cleary has realised this hence getting rid of one of them.

I have no doubts we are going to go hard for Cronk, Foran or Josh Reynolds. If we fail on all of these I seriously think Cleary will go for Benji. Another one could be Hodkinson, if Newcastle get Bird they might be happy to let him go.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I could see Reynolds and Brooks combining well. I have full faith in the coach - what a strange feeling to have as a Tigers fan!

Shredder

Juniors
I know Rons Mate - its strange huh?

All this crap going on and I feel pretty comfortable with it to.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Bird is a tremendous player but he isn't the half for us. We need one over 25 with experience. Cleary has realised this hence getting rid of one of them.

I have no doubts we are going to go hard for Cronk, Foran or Josh Reynolds. If we fail on all of these I seriously think Cleary will go for Benji. Another one could be Hodkinson, if Newcastle get Bird they might be happy to let him go.

No. No no no no no no no.

Clifferd

Coach
Yeah I seriously couldnt take Benji back. Not even for free

He was finished as an NRL player when he left the Dragons imo

Perth Tiger

Bench
There seems to be a ton of half options on the market and I am sure Ivan will be able to land a decent one.

If Teddy leaves though there doesn't seem to be many good fullback options outside of Dugan and maybe Widdop. What do people think of Hayne? See if he really wants to make it his house! Personally Hayne would be a no from me.

Shredder

Juniors
Hayne is a no from me to.

Doesnt know what he wants to do with his life - chases his own name in lights too much.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I could see Reynolds and Brooks combining well. I have full faith in the coach - what a strange feeling to have as a Tigers fan!
It's certainly an odd feeling to have faith in the coach.

Ivan would've been shocked @ the amount of money(3 mill for 3 yrs) this moronic club were prepared to commit to retaining the under-delivering over-hyped hoax moses.One can only wonder what he would have been thinking when he realised that his super talented son was earning a fraction @ Penrith of what the our degenerate board & halfwit Pascoe were intent on paying the wanka Moses !

Thank goodness for the timely arrival of Ivan to this dysfunctional club.There is now much hope we will finally see light @ the end of the interminable tunnel !!

Tiger05

First Grade
I want nothing to do with Hayne or Benji. I love Benji but he was past it when he left us.

I honestly have no idea what Cleary is going to do but I have confidence in him.

I think the big issue is how to sign players and not pay overs and that includes Tedesco and Woods. I think we need Tedesco but we need a group of solid players more than we need him. Woods is a good player and if we can keep him on a fair price that would be great. So if they both go I'm cool with it but I'm not cool with paying overs and ending up in this same spot 3-5 years down the track. I'd rather take a hit now and be a solid team in 3-5 years time.

BuffaloRules

Coach
What exactly is "overs" though?

Is $1.1 Million for Tedesco overs? Is he less important to the Tigers then DCE is to Manly or Taumalomo is for Nth Qld who are getting about the same?

Is McQueen getting overs on the reported $400K a year?

How are they going to attract new players if they can get the same money at their existing club?

As the week has gone on I am very happy that Cleary is in the chair.

I'd go as far as saying, couldn't care if the 'other 3' left.

As Jamie Soward said in regards to Moses, ‘IT’S OFFENSIVE,

FORMER NRL stars Ryan Girdler and Jamie Soward have laid into Wests Tigers five-eighth Mitchell Moses after it was revealed he was looking to leave the club this season.

Moses reportedly wants to join Parramatta as soon as possible, but the Tigers on Thursday denied the playmaker an immediate release.

Moses’ desire to leave was sparked by the Tigers retracting a contract offer they initially presented to the pivot, but Girdler says the 22-year-old owes it to his teammates to tough it out with the club who launched his NRL career.

“He’s been paid overs his whole career based on potential and again now he’s been offered contracts based on potential and not on what he’s actually done,” Girdler said on Triple M’s Dead Set Legends on Thursday.

“Then all of a sudden the club’s in the absolute s*** and all the other players that have spent the past five or six years building this club and working hard at this club are in it and he wants out.

“At some point it doesn’t become about the boards and your management and all that sort of stuff, it becomes about the guys you’re training with and playing with and your mates, and that’s what I can’t believe at the moment.

“It needs to be, ‘OK I’ll finish out the season, I’ll do the right thing’ not by the club, but by the guys he’s playing with week in week out. There’s got to be some sort of connection with those guys.

“How do you think they’re going to feel … putting the jumper on with a guy they know doesn’t want to be there?”

Soward says Moses hasn’t proven himself in first grade yet and doesn’t have the right to play hard ball when it comes to demanding big money.

“To want a release after six games when your team is really playing pretty poorly, it’s unfathomable to think you would walk out because you’re not happy,” he said.

‘IT’S OFFENSIVE, HE’S OFFENDED BY IT’

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Jason Taylor couldn't coach, and I'm glad he's gone, but he did make some good points in that Fox interview. The main one was that these contract negotiations have been stagnating for too long - obviously part of the player manager's strategy. Now that Cleary is there, things are starting to move and it should all be cleared up pretty quickly. I really hope we re-sign Tedesco as he would be the hardest to replace. Woods is good but I'd be OK with him leaving if for example he went to the Dogs and we got one of their forwards in return. Glad to see the back of Moses. If we announce some good signings soon, e.g. Matulino, Whare etc and if Tedesco's big ambition is to play finals, then I think he'll see that with a professional coach and improved player stocks he has a good chance of being with the Tigers when they are a top 8 and top 4 team. He must have lost a bit of confidence in the Chooks after their Tigeresque performance against the Broncos last night.

Shredder

Juniors
Overs.
No we dont need to pay overs.

Because players are breaking down fences to come and play for a team that is as successful and committed and united as us.
Players come to us because we have quaint crap facilities in Concord, play out of multiple grounds and have fired 3 coaches in the last four years.

No need to pay overs.

What is overs?
Paying the highest amount for something?
If you were buying a house....... Isnt that also called winning?

I dont know.....

BuffaloRules

Coach
Overs.
No we dont need to pay overs.

Because players are breaking down fences to come and play for a team that is as successful and committed and united as us.
Players come to us because we have quaint crap facilities in Concord, play out of multiple grounds and have fired 3 coaches in the last four years.

No need to pay overs.

What is overs?
Paying the highest amount for something?
If you were buying a house....... Isnt that also called winning?

I dont know.....

Agree with you...

Its naïve to think that we are going to get a player that is also "in demand" from other clubs for the same amount of money....

The Titans offered McQueen $300K for 2 years and the Tigers had to offer $400K for 3 years... this is the sort of overs that they will need to pay to attract players.. And this is for McQueen who is an also ran as far as I am concerned but still an upgrade on what they have at the moment...

Imagine the overs they would need to pay to a Cronk or Johnson?

Shredder

Juniors
Yeah exactly - and we have pretty much always been in this boat -

McQueen I would class as a solid first grader.
Also, I guess with him it was relocation costs as well.

But we will always need to pay overs to get non juniors for our club until we will a couple of comps and get some positive consistency about us.

Tiger05

First Grade
What exactly is "overs" though?

Is $1.1 Million for Tedesco overs? Is he less important to the Tigers then DCE is to Manly or Taumalomo is for Nth Qld who are getting about the same?

Is McQueen getting overs on the reported $400K a year?

How are they going to attract new players if they can get the same money at their existing club?

To me $1 million is overs for Teddy. I'd put him on $800k. Woods should be on $500. I'd go and extra $100k for each of them but that is pushing it.

McQueen is getting close to overs on $400k but he is coming to the club. To me there is a difference. Most guys would stay at their current club for less. Our guys want overs.

We did that with Robbie and Benji and how did that work out. Run the business in a smart fashion. Already these petulant children are blaming their performances on the board rather than themselves.

We should show that we are loyal and have integrity as well. That is why we should keep Lawrence and we shouldn't have shafted Robbie.

Latest posts