What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League one 2017

jim_57

Staff member
Well...I think we can wrap up league one...lol

Let the battle for 2nd begin.

One of the Welsh teams to make it 4 countries represented in Championship next year would be alright, not going to happen though.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Great to see Coventry, South Wales and Gloucestershire all much more competitive than last year against heartland opposition, and Newcastle beat promotion contenders Workington. Good opening round.

deluded pom?

Coach
Round 2
Hemel 10:58 Hunslet RLFC
Oxford RLFC 6:20 Workington Town
Whitehaven 10:24 Toronto Wolfpack
Crusaders 8:44 Doncaster
Coventry 14:50 Barrow
Gloucestershire 46:22 Keighley
Newcastle 24:22 London Skolars
York City 26:24 South Wales Ironmen

Evil Homer

Staff member
Big win, in more ways than one, for All Golds today. All Golds 46 v Keighley 22.
I think that's the first time one of the new expansion teams has beaten an established heartland side. South Wales also very unlucky with a 2 point defeat away to York, and Oxford were 6-6 at half time against Workington before losing 20-6. Looks like the tide is turning for some of these teams which is great. The only disappointment is Hemel who were hammered again, I can see them dropping out of the league next year.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Coventry's form is a bit worrying. They are conceding a lot but not scoring many in response.
They had a decent effort against Doncaster last week. Barrow are the best team in the comp apart from Toronto so it was expected for them to win easily.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Hemel seem pointless if they're both garbage on field and are based up north anyway
Hunslet fans said it was the worst performance they've seen from a Hemel team since they joined the league. Basing the team in Dewsbury and signing a bunch of Northern mercenaries really is one of the stupidest things I've seen from a RL club for a while, Oxford actually did a similar thing last year, training in Castleford and fielding a bunch of players from disgraced amateur club Fryston, AFAIK they are not doing that any more and performances seem to have improved somewhat.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hunslet fans said it was the worst performance they've seen from a Hemel team since they joined the league. Basing the team in Dewsbury and signing a bunch of Northern mercenaries really is one of the stupidest things I've seen from a RL club for a while, Oxford actually did a similar thing last year, training in Castleford and fielding a bunch of players from disgraced amateur club Fryston, AFAIK they are not doing that any more and performances seem to have improved somewhat.

They seem to be sooking that it's not a 'development league' any more.
Development league here seems to be euphemism for 'amateur quality'.

You'd think the more obvious answer would be to entice a few northern players down to live in London and play for them rather than training 200 miles away? And if they can't afford the incentive well.. re-think their participation in the League.

jim_57

Staff member
They seem to be sooking that it's not a 'development league' any more.
Development league here seems to be euphemism for 'amateur quality'.

You'd think the more obvious answer would be to entice a few northern players down to live in London and play for them rather than training 200 miles away? And if they can't afford the incentive well.. re-think their participation in the League.

There currently 3 current bidders for a League 1 spot plus Eric Perez has previously stated they are hoping for a team in Montreal by 2019. No shortage of potential teams to take Hemel's place.

jim_57

Staff member
I'd be looking closer to home (France Scotland Ireland) than more American teams

I don't think the RFL is in the bussiness of looking for expansion clubs at the moment, any new club/s have to be driven from those areas. So if a proposal from Scotland, Ireland or Germany came to the table the RFL would be mad not to look at it, but it would take dedicated financial backers in these cities to become a reality.

West Wales, Manchester and Bishop Burton College (Hull area) are the 3 bidders I've seen mentioned.