What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Least Favourite Warrior of All Time

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah. I went to my doctor once for a check-up and he said " OK. I'm going to have to do a Hopoate on you".
He was chinese and I nearly fell off my chair.
Best doctor I ever had though.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Players I hate from other clubs are those that rub it in when they beat us.
  • Cam Smith and his grins
  • Josh Reynolds when the Bulldogs came back to beat us at Westpac Stadium a few years back.

Blair

Coach
Players I hate from other clubs are those that rub it in when they beat us.
  • Cam Smith and his grins
  • Josh Reynolds when the Bulldogs came back to beat us at Westpac Stadium a few years back.

I've never had a Cam Smith problem, although I understand the bad juju he can spread. On the other point, I always hate the sight of an opposition player celebrating after scoring a try that pretty much ends our season.

It began this year with those Bunnies going apesh*t. I was in shock in that first half rout. The 'goanna' was particularly hard to watch.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
It began this year with those Bunnies going apesh*t. I was in shock in that first half rout. The 'goanna' was particularly hard to watch.
Oh I feel you on that one. My frusteration was amplified by the comment Sam Burgess made in the week leading up to that game about their focus on ending our top 8 hopes. That pissed me off and thats another one I hate is Sam Burgess.

mikeob

Juniors
Yep, hard to dislike rubbish players that kept getting picked, not their doing - but boy some shit players have had extended runs.

Hard to go past Locke as a player - but I'm more annoyed with successive CEOs - Ian Robson, Mick Watson, Wayne Scurrah - just diabolical... add Eric f**king Watson to that list - talking a dynasty not long ago, now fragile - he'll talk any shit if he thinks it helps his image
Ian Robson...I thought he was great. By the time the 95 season kicked off the Warriors were the #1 team in town and rugby league was the #1 game in Auckland and it remained that way for the rest of the year.

As far as players go Marc Ellis...I saw him run across the field on more than one occasion. Once I saw him run across field along the 20 metre line for about 25 metres before the defense picked him off. I suspect he may have had a head knock and confused it with the sideline.

JJ

Immortal
Ian Robson...I thought he was great. By the time the 95 season kicked off the Warriors were the #1 team in town and rugby league was the #1 game in Auckland and it remained that way for the rest of the year.

As far as players go Marc Ellis...I saw him run across the field on more than one occasion. Once I saw him run across field along the 20 metre line for about 25 metres before the defense picked him off. I suspect he may have had a head knock and confused it with the sideline.

Certainly he was good on the hype... but the flash Harry approach set the tone early on IMO - big money, flash cars, little substance

JoeD

First Grade
Might be controversial but Thomas Leuluai. Saying a half's best attribute is his tackling is like saying a props best attribute is his grubber kick. Slow, not a great pass, no long kick, no high kick, no step. HTF does he keep getting selected?

Might be controversial but Thomas Leuluai. Saying a half's best attribute is his tackling is like saying a props best attribute is his grubber kick. Slow, not a great pass, no long kick, no high kick, no step. HTF does he keep getting selected?

TL was always a hooker playing at 5/8 but he did a solid job to compliment the erratic SJ. TL was a stop gap for sure but with his immense defense he made our middle holes smaller being there. If we had the likes of Tui and SJ there most of the year we would be getting drubbed week in week out.

I get your point though he was not a half

LeagueNut

First Grade
Some of these have already been said, but...

Joe Vagana - for being the fifth replacement that cost us two Premiership points in 1995. (OK, maybe it wasn't totally his fault)

Logan Edwards - for paving the way for future players named Logan to become first graders.

Mike Dorreen - because I think he tore us a new one and rubbed it in after switching to the Tigers.

Mark Horo - for giving away an average of 13.25 penalties per half.

Grant Young - played a couple of good games for the Crushers but was little more than a pillow once he joined us.

Quentin Pongia - another one who went from a beast to a ballerina.

Scott Coxon - the early 2000s version of Todd Lowrie, but not as good.

Matt Jobson - the mid 2000s version of Scott Coxon.

Brent Tate - really didn't like him pre-Warriors days, and while he was bloody good while he was here, it was easy to slip back into disliking him once he left. Plus he's a Kweenzlanduh.

Denan Kemp - say no more.

Sione Lousi - played 50 first grade games since 2010 and hasn't shown any signs of improvement, seems happy to cruise. Get a haircut you hippie.

Shaun Berrigan - dunno why, he just didn't sit right. Maybe it's the Kweenzlanduh thing again.

Dane Nielsen - I would rather have kept Tatey.

Todd Lowrie - no, just no.

Zane Clark, Paul Whatuira & Ben Lythe - jointly hold the record for most first grade games played for the Warriors (5) without registering a win. Deserve to be on this list just for that.

Blair

Coach
Some of these have already been said, but...

Joe Vagana - for being the fifth replacement that cost us two Premiership points in 1995. (OK, maybe it wasn't totally his fault).

And cost us a finals spot in our first season. The nosy TV reporter who pointed out the error should also be on some kind of dislike list.

vvvrulz

Coach

Was going to suggest the same but it's a pretty miserable thing to do given he thanklessly busts his balls for us. Shifted my hatred to Crappy McDud instead.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Why? Players score hattricks, these things happen. Sometimes players score 3 or 4 tries in a game without having to do anything. Toopi actually scored 2 hattricks against Australia (which I will agree is a remarkable statistical achievement) but he didn't display any extraordinary ability in doing so.

Wasn't Melis 4 (or 5) bag haul against the dogs, all pretty much catch and score? Or have my concussions caught up with me.
Yes, I know we are talking Toopi and not Meli, I mention this because of your last sentence.

Blair

Coach
Certainly he was good on the hype... but the flash Harry approach set the tone early on IMO - big money, flash cars, little substance

And within a year he had us lining up to join Super League which I thought was very disloyal to the ARL, the organisation that had run the game since 1908 and had provided a lot of goodwill and faith in us.

Reactions: JJ

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Wasn't Melis 4 (or 5) bag haul against the dogs, all pretty much catch and score? Or have my concussions caught up with me.
Yes, I know we are talking Toopi and not Meli, I mention this because of your last sentence.

2nd try he was first receiver from a scrum and just ran straight through, pure solo effort. 4th try he came charging onto an offload and it was a bit of a weaving run, not sure how many defenders he really had to beat but it was a fair effort.

vvvrulz

Coach
Just a flat out bad player. Average size, chicken legs, not a great deal of strength, slow, a generally ungainly athlete, lacked basic skills (could hardly even pass the ball properly), terrible defender

The only difference between your Toopi description and Manu is the size and strength, and that too not by a whole lot. Nothing "average" about 6ft 1 + 100kg, was roughly the same size as Francis Meli.

I don't hate either by the way, their strengths at their peak outweighed their many weaknesses.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The only difference between your Toopi description and Manu is the size and strength, and that too not by a whole lot. Nothing "average" about 6ft 1 + 100kg, was roughly the same size as Francis Meli.

I don't hate either by the way, their strengths at their peak outweighed their many weaknesses.

You're just completely wrong though, Toopi was nowhere near Manu's size and nothing like Meli either. During that peak phase of his career his listed weight was only 90kg. Toopi was never a "big unit" in the NRL, you are completely revising history. His most distinctive physical feature was his scrawny legs.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Do you also need proof of Manu being fast? Really?

Hell, Manu even has a nicely honed left to right pass from dummy half, Toopi always had to run it from there because he didn't know how to pass to his right...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Not that he is my least favourite Warrior at all, but Corey Lawrie, what a beauty. Just saw him mentioned in a Warriors FB page, still plugging away in Chch. There's a blast from the past.

Played 4 games in 2007, from memory was like a kid on Xmas when he made his debut. And managed to cop an almighty falcon v the Tigers (?) which his team-mates found as funny as anything they'd seen. Never seen again after that.

Any other Bartercard Cup plodders/ones out of the box that played for the Warriors? Paul Atkins also jumps to mind, his one and only match v the Roosters in 2005 needed Benny Hill music accompanied with it.

Latest posts