What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon get ready for cup defence

dimitri

First Grade
Lebanon ‘invincible’ ahead of Mediterranean Cup defence
Thu Sep 18, 3:03pm (NSW)
Written by: Lebanon Rugby League
With just over a month to go until the start of the rugby league Mediterranean Cup pride and patriotism are the watchwords underpinning Lebanon’s preparations. The Bartercard Cedars won the Mediterranean Cup last year in Tripoli after a convincing victory over World Cup quarter-finalists France, but the defence of their crown will be tested by the introduction of Serbia and powerful Morocco into the arena, as well as by the return of a French side intent on revenge.

Robbie Farah, 19, from Bhairi, exemplified the spirit running through the Lebanon squad when he declared earlier this week “I feel proud and invincible” about playing for Lebanon. Farah scored the opening try in last year’s stunning 36-6 victory.

The skilful Balmain Tigers halfback is one of a 20-man train-on squad that has been preparing for over a month in Sydney. That squad will be reduced to fifteen who will travel to Lebanon for the four-nation tournament. They will be joined by five players, selected by national coach Darren Maroun, from Lebanon’s year old domestic championship.

Michael Coorey, 26, a towering forward from Kfrzgorb who plays for the Brisbane Broncos, one of the biggest clubs in Australian sport, endorsed Farah’s views: “I always think about the last Med Cup [in November 2002], its a good feeling knowing that our homeland welcomes us with open arms...this is what makes us strong, when we hear the crowd go wild like last year.”

Team-mate Ahmed Bajouri, 22, from Tripoli, is perhaps the most enthusiastic of Lebanon’s crack Australian based players. The winger from South Sydney, one of Australian rugby league’s most famous clubs, has had a frustrating time with injuries in what many accept to be the world’s toughest sport.

“I’ve been ready for three years personally because I’ve been plagued with injuries that stopped me playing for Lebanon in the World Cup in 2000 and in Lebanon last year. I’ve been in anticipation for some time now. When we get there I’ll be peaking in all attributes.”

Hassan Taha, a 19-year-old from Tripoli who plays for Balamand university, is one of seven hopeful domestic players pinning their hopes on selection.

“I’ll do more than I can,” he said when asked how he felt about lining up alongside Lebanon’s professional stars. “I’ll forget about fear; attack and defend, I’ll think of nothing else.”

The Mediterranean Cup begins on 19 October in Tripoli’s Olympic Stadium. Entrance is free throughout the entire tournament to mark rugby league’s continuing development in Lebanon.