What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leeson Ah Mau

Como Connection

First Grade
Latimore to me seems just fine, doesn’t let anyone down, calm under pressure, I even heard opposition players mentioning how hard they are finding him.
Being so far away at Porta Portugal at present I haven't seen any games in the last three weeks so I'm pleased Latimore is playing well.
Always rated him and at his price whatever that maybe offers great value I say.
CC

getsmarty

Immortal
Ah Mau packing big interchange punch
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4442_2803_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BENCH WEAPON: Leeson Ah Mau crashes over for a try in the Dragons' win over Newcastle at WIN Stadium in round four. Picture: AAP

HE’S played a number of roles in his seven seasons with the Dragons, but Leeson Ah Mau says the role of bench super-sub suits him just fine.

The 28-year-old powerhouse is clocking less than 40 minutes a game, but is averaging a career-high 118 metres per game, packing a serious punch from the interchange bench.

It’s been enough for the off-contract Samoan International attract interest on the open market, with reports Newcastle are particularly keen to lure him north.

We’re all about team first at this club so I’m just trying to come on and lift the boys in the middle.

Leeson Ah Mau
In a Dragons pack stacked with talent, Ah Mau said he’s willing to do anything asked of him by coach Paul McGregor.

“Whatever the team needs, that’s my role,” Ah Mau said.

“We’re all about team first at this club so I’m just trying to come on and lift the boys in the middle. With everyone playing well, we’re just trying to do our own jobs and make sure the whole team is working hard for each other.

“The boys worked hard through preseason so it’s good to get these wins. We knew the players we’ve recruited were going to come in an add a lot to the team that we’ve got and we’re really excited about the start we’ve had.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5346754/ah-mau-packing-big-punch/?cs=3713

Frank Facer

First Grade
Ah Mau packing big interchange punch
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4442_2803_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BENCH WEAPON: Leeson Ah Mau crashes over for a try in the Dragons' win over Newcastle at WIN Stadium in round four. Picture: AAP

HE’S played a number of roles in his seven seasons with the Dragons, but Leeson Ah Mau says the role of bench super-sub suits him just fine.

The 28-year-old powerhouse is clocking less than 40 minutes a game, but is averaging a career-high 118 metres per game, packing a serious punch from the interchange bench.

It’s been enough for the off-contract Samoan International attract interest on the open market, with reports Newcastle are particularly keen to lure him north.

We’re all about team first at this club so I’m just trying to come on and lift the boys in the middle.

Leeson Ah Mau
In a Dragons pack stacked with talent, Ah Mau said he’s willing to do anything asked of him by coach Paul McGregor.

“Whatever the team needs, that’s my role,” Ah Mau said.

“We’re all about team first at this club so I’m just trying to come on and lift the boys in the middle. With everyone playing well, we’re just trying to do our own jobs and make sure the whole team is working hard for each other.

“The boys worked hard through preseason so it’s good to get these wins. We knew the players we’ve recruited were going to come in an add a lot to the team that we’ve got and we’re really excited about the start we’ve had.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5346754/ah-mau-packing-big-punch/?cs=3713
I read or heard that another club is chasing Ah Mau too. They said that the club is north of the boarder. I am assuming that it is Brisbane.

Bench
You have to applaud our recruitment for bringing Hunt and Graham. I hope LAM stays but if we have to pay overs then I would let him go.
Could the money be put to better use in resigning or upgrading some of juniors like Lomax.
Least if he does go we will have time to test some of the young guns.

BennyV

Referee
He is definitely a must keep. He should be considered as a starting prop next year, and with Graham going on 34 next year and Lawrie/Kerr being very green, losing Ah Mau could see up looking very thin in the front row and our whole game plan goes out the window.

If Ah Mau leaves without adequate replacement (and possibly addition of an extra big bopper, as Frank Face mentions), our real premiership window could go with him.

MilanDragon

Juniors
This is his 7th year at the club... does that make him eligible for some of the salary cap exemption money? (Or is it 10 years?).

If so, and let’s say Nightingale retires.. we could use that 300k towards LAM, the only other one that’d be close (to 7 years) is JDB.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Milan.
As far as I know its 8 years .
So no.
I will check it out and let you know
Its $ 200,000 for 8 years or longer for a long serving veteran at a club or allowed for a development player thats contracted with a club for 2 or more consecutive years before hes given an nrl contract......hope that information helps.

Last edited:

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Ah Mau is a must keep and we should sign him for another 3 years. Our back up forward stocks are fairly bare. Allgood and Leilua are not the solution and Graham has at best 2 years left. We should have resigned Packer prior to the 2017 season commencing. Even if Lawrie works out we are down a good prop as Latimore does not have the impact of Vaughan and Ah Mau. We also need another fast back as Lafai is pedestrian. I assume Mann will replace Nightingale and Zac Lomas will replace Lafai with Field being the bench utility.

Walpole

Juniors
We really need to make sure we keep Leeson, but also that we're developing Lawrie and Kerr to play to the best of their ability and give them every chance to make that jump to NRL. Hopefully that's where Grahams influence comes in, guiding those young blokes to make that jump.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Its $ 200,000 for 8 years or longer for a long serving veteran at a club or allowed for a development player thats contracted with a club for 2 or more consecutive years before hes given an nrl contract......hope that information helps.

We could sign him up for 3 years on a back ended deal.. then allocate some of those funds to him after year 1. Though reading the above condition it would mean guys like JDB and Aitken (was with the club more for than 2 years before receiving an nrl contract).

Either way I could play this scenario out a thousand ways, reality is none of us know how much the club has exactly. All I can hope is they use that full 200k and hopefully we can keep LAM for even another 2 years.

I did think we front loaded Paul Vaughan’s updated contract last year, if so it might mean more money is free in a year or two to allow for upgrades for those juniors or let’s say keeping LAM

Gareth67

First Grade
He had talks with Newcastle only last week , which in itself is worrying. As already suggested by others , this being what could be his last contract he intends to do what he considers best . Hopefully the ' long service ' exemption applies to Leeson , but whatever the case may be one can only hope that the money can be found to keep him in the Big Red V .

dragonssamy61

First Grade
We really need to make sure we keep Leeson, but also that we're developing Lawrie and Kerr to play to the best of their ability and give them every chance to make that jump to NRL. Hopefully that's where Grahams influence comes in, guiding those young blokes to make that jump.

Walpole
lawrie train with Graham and they do extras together.
Lawrie is going great

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Samy, Laurie looks a little small for me to replace Ah Mau's position and the jury is still out on Kerr who looks to me to be very ponderous . What is your take on this ?

Dennis
Just to give you some idea re size.
LAM is 185cm and 110kg
Lawrie 185cm and 106
Kerr 197cm and 112kg
JDB 188cm and 106kg
Graham 187cm 107kg.
IMO
Lawrie is putting up some impressive stats in the isp and should get a go in the nrl if there is a injury or when soo is on.
He's ready
Agree re kerr he is only play 40 minutes but seem to slow down before the line.
I would say that lawrie is next if we need a prop or middle player and host is also going well.
But I can't see any changes untill injuries or we start getting beaten.
Mary will not make changes