What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lEGENDS OF lEAGUE

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Brian Bevan is there Gav.
I agree that a lot of the players people chose are local heroes. Its up to Kiwi which ones go in but sometimes local heroes are just as valid as worldwide superstars imho. All depends how serious you want to be.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Brian Bevan is there Gav.
I agree that a lot of the players people chose are local heroes. Its up to Kiwi which ones go in but sometimes local heroes are just as valid as worldwide superstars imho. All depends how serious you want to be.

B

bender

Noa Naduku (Fiji) must get a rate for Fiji, as should David Nui (USA), if he has retired. Did Brad Backer and Mitch Brennan's names crop up in the Australian 1980s list? Also, Kurt and Dane Sorensen were true Kiwi Legends in the early 80s. Dean Bell, Kevin and Tony Iro, Mathew Ridge, are a few who must get mentions for New Zealand. I am not sure if Brendan Tuuta should make the list, but i do no that he made beating New Zealand fun and he certainly put some spark into internationals.
Also, Tuigamala played entirely in England and represented only western Samoa and not New Zealand so he is probably best classified as a Western Samoan as opposed to a kiwi, even though he was an all black legend.

B

bender

Noa Naduku (Fiji) must get a rate for Fiji, as should David Nui (USA), if he has retired. Did Brad Backer and Mitch Brennan's names crop up in the Australian 1980s list? Also, Kurt and Dane Sorensen were true Kiwi Legends in the early 80s. Dean Bell, Kevin and Tony Iro, Mathew Ridge, are a few who must get mentions for New Zealand. I am not sure if Brendan Tuuta should make the list, but i do no that he made beating New Zealand fun and he certainly put some spark into internationals.
Also, Tuigamala played entirely in England and represented only western Samoa and not New Zealand so he is probably best classified as a Western Samoan as opposed to a kiwi, even though he was an all black legend.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol... add 'em on. why not?
I understand that Kiwi is going to them all in a poll in any case.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol... add 'em on. why not?
I understand that Kiwi is going to them all in a poll in any case.

Gav-bt

Juniors
I've just been to vote. Why is there no Lewis Jones and Billy Boston? That would be like leaving Clive Churchill and Reg Gasnier out. Ok, it's not that serious, but this is almost like taking the p out of true GB legends. I had to vote for Alex Murphy.....
emcry.gif

And how did Denis Betts get on the list when most Wigan fans didn't rated him....

And Blobby Goulding?

Gav-bt

Juniors
I've just been to vote. Why is there no Lewis Jones and Billy Boston? That would be like leaving Clive Churchill and Reg Gasnier out. Ok, it's not that serious, but this is almost like taking the p out of true GB legends. I had to vote for Alex Murphy.....
emcry.gif

And how did Denis Betts get on the list when most Wigan fans didn't rated him....

And Blobby Goulding?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Gav:
I reckon the hardest part is narrowing it down to ten. I suggest another ten selections. (we are only allowed ten players per poll).

I asked Kiwi about the Aussie players from 1908-1950... Herb Gilbert, Albert Rosenfeld, Duncan Thompson, Benny Wearing were all missing. So he solved the problem by putting up another poll in the same category and called it poll No.2.

Put forward ten names, in the category(ies) of your choice and we'll open a second poll(s).

Easy done. :)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Gav:
I reckon the hardest part is narrowing it down to ten. I suggest another ten selections. (we are only allowed ten players per poll).

I asked Kiwi about the Aussie players from 1908-1950... Herb Gilbert, Albert Rosenfeld, Duncan Thompson, Benny Wearing were all missing. So he solved the problem by putting up another poll in the same category and called it poll No.2.

Put forward ten names, in the category(ies) of your choice and we'll open a second poll(s).

Easy done. :)

Gav-bt

Juniors
Cheers Willow... :)

Actually, I'd have found it easier toname ten Aussies in the 1908-1950 section.

Players from Great Britain1895 -1950 - Albert Goldthorpe, James Leytham, Billy Batten, Harold Waggstaffe, Jonty Parkin, Jim Sullivan, Alf Ellaby, Martin Hodgson, Gus Risman, Willie Horne.
Players fromGreat Britain1951- 1980 - Lewis Jones, Billy Boston, Alan Prescott, Alex Murphy, Vince Karalius, Neil Fox, Roger Millward, Mal Reilly, Colin Dixon, Clive Sullivan.
Players from Great Britain 1981- 2002 - Tony Myler, Ellery Hanley, Gary Schofield, Andy Gregory, Joe Lydon, Kevin Ward, Lee Crooks, Jonathan Davies, Shaun Edwards, Martin Offiah.

I'm sure I've left someone out.
emembarrassed.gif

Gav-bt

Juniors
Cheers Willow... :)

Actually, I'd have found it easier toname ten Aussies in the 1908-1950 section.

Players from Great Britain1895 -1950 - Albert Goldthorpe, James Leytham, Billy Batten, Harold Waggstaffe, Jonty Parkin, Jim Sullivan, Alf Ellaby, Martin Hodgson, Gus Risman, Willie Horne.
Players fromGreat Britain1951- 1980 - Lewis Jones, Billy Boston, Alan Prescott, Alex Murphy, Vince Karalius, Neil Fox, Roger Millward, Mal Reilly, Colin Dixon, Clive Sullivan.
Players from Great Britain 1981- 2002 - Tony Myler, Ellery Hanley, Gary Schofield, Andy Gregory, Joe Lydon, Kevin Ward, Lee Crooks, Jonathan Davies, Shaun Edwards, Martin Offiah.

I'm sure I've left someone out.
emembarrassed.gif

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Gav,
I'm only assisting Kiwi in all this but I think some of those names are already there. We cant double up but we can start a second poll with up to ten more names.
What I'm saying is that you can have a few more as long as they are new.

Check the site for current names in the polls at: http://www.leagueunlimited-online.com/

...and yes, before you ask, I just saw that the GB section is 1908-1950 instead of 1895-1950... sigh... my mistake, the danger of cutting and pasting.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Gav,
I'm only assisting Kiwi in all this but I think some of those names are already there. We cant double up but we can start a second poll with up to ten more names.
What I'm saying is that you can have a few more as long as they are new.

Check the site for current names in the polls at: http://www.leagueunlimited-online.com/

...and yes, before you ask, I just saw that the GB section is 1908-1950 instead of 1895-1950... sigh... my mistake, the danger of cutting and pasting.

ummm...where is greg brentnall on the poll??

Good to see Terry Lamb got a run though, definite favourite to win his category

Moffo

ummm...where is greg brentnall on the poll??

Good to see Terry Lamb got a run though, definite favourite to win his category

Moffo

L

legend

I think the players who miss out on this round of voting should still be eligible for selection in later ballots and as time progresses it will be interesting to see hwo long it takes some players to reach the pinncale and join the "legends of league". I just voted and it's interesting to see the early results.

Great work Kiwi

L

legend

I think the players who miss out on this round of voting should still be eligible for selection in later ballots and as time progresses it will be interesting to see hwo long it takes some players to reach the pinncale and join the "legends of league". I just voted and it's interesting to see the early results.

Great work Kiwi

K

Kiwi

GavBT

Email me at kiemsteph@aol.com with the 10 players and I will create the poll. England was hard to narrow down, as I am not as familiar with a few of their players. Your input would be appreciated.

K

Kiwi

GavBT

Email me at kiemsteph@aol.com with the 10 players and I will create the poll. England was hard to narrow down, as I am not as familiar with a few of their players. Your input would be appreciated.