Leichhardt council to allow AFL to be played at Birchgrove Oval

Discussion in 'NRL' started by herbert henry1908, Jun 21, 2012.

1. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...e-of-league-20120620-20olf.html#ixzz1yLNolQ7B

This is bloody outrageous.

The site is historicaly important to our game , there are hundreds of other ovals those bottom feeders could use.

Another nail in the idea that the afl just wants to co-exist. Its a f*cking war , time to stand up and treat it like one.

If you live in the Leichhardt council region you should make your feelings known.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. WireMan

WireMan Bench

Its so important the plaque cannot even be maintained properly...

Another cry at the nasty AFL.

So what? Does it stop being an historic rugby league ground?

3. bartman

bartman Immortal

Boooooooooo! :(

4. 1 Eyed TEZZA

1 Eyed TEZZA Coach

Don't over react. Important yes...but its just an oval.

5. juro

juro Bench

I remember last year people being up in arms about a local park being designated as only to be used for AFL. I don't see why Birchgrove Oval should be any different. These grounds should be available to any sport!

6. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

In general I'm happy for any ground to be used for any sport.

However there are thousands of grounds in Sydney , which is why it should be very easy to leave this particular ground alone.

7. Ziggy the God

Ziggy the God First Grade

It doesn't surprise me, as it is my Council, and they have to be the most inept bunch in NSW.

I will contact them to have a say, but to be perfectly frank, they wouldn't give a toss unless I turned up with a few Rooster sandwich bags.

8. Sunshine Coast Tiger

Sunshine Coast Tiger Juniors

Leichhardt Council is the most inept council in Sydney. I have lived most of my 40 years in Balmain and have never seen or heard of AFL on Birchgrove Oval.

Firstly the Council waste hundreds of thousand dollars opposing the Balmain Leagues Club Development because of a minority residential action group (less than a thousand memebers, I believe). That is a waste of local tax payers money. The development will go ahead, it will probably be reduced slightly in height (I think it will be 20 and 24 storeys) but will still be a lot larger than the 11 storey project that the former mayor rejected as part of a planning pannel, a person that says he supported the return of Balmain Leagues to its rightful home.

Can we petition the NSW State Government to put a administrator in charge of Leichhardt Council and get rid of the inept council we curently have.

9. Moffo

Moffo Referee

Why isn't the plaque being maintained?

f**k we are an idiotic sport

10. cleary89

cleary89 Coach

Balmain play at a pretty decent ground already. Some artistic designed club house, fits in well with all the mansions down on the water.

11. Everlovin' Antichrist

Everlovin' Antichrist Immortal

Based on the support for GWS, they may be about to move there...

Just up the road from where all the players live.

I could be onto something here...

Nothing story.

There's been Rugby League posts on the MCG.

12. Everlovin' Antichrist

Whose plaque is it?

Surely you can see enough of it to see the logo at the top?

13. Lockyer4President!

Lockyer4President! First Grade

I assume the Vic councils will gladly put up football posts in historic afl ovals as a sign that they aren't so insular down there.

I'm sure they'd be willing to make some of them rugby league only as well...

14. cleary89

cleary89 Coach

That said balmain afl are playing their games at henson this sunday.

15. Frances the Mute

Frances the Mute Juniors

Indeed...... Same people who had a cry over the footy shows light hearted AFL skit.

I can just imagine them going red with rage everytime they see a banner promoting AFL :lol:

16. Pistol_Pete

Pistol_Pete Juniors

What an absolute farce that some singlet wearing Victorian spastics who play some mongrelised hybrid of a medieval game of all in for village idiots played by the Irish, Victorians and some chromosome deficient Tasmanians can muscle in on a great oval.

I am fuming about this as I play for the soccer club mentioned in the article. We don't have hurling in the lga either, let's give them Callan and king George for that.

Only these basket weaving mongoloid spastics on council would move the districts largest sporting team out so some exiled victorian retards can play villageball.

17. Dresden Dan

Dresden Dan Juniors

Sounds like the soccer club & teams are getting bounced out to make way for AFL posts to get put up without any AFL club or players. Why would the Council suddenly decide that their role was to introduce a new sport and to relocate another club & sport to help it?

Gives them nice photo ops with AFL posts in front of the Harbor Bridge though. Isn't that what Roy Masters was on about how there are AFL posts going up all over the place but no teams. The posts are just a form of free advertising & doing a Neil Armstrong flag plant for AFL.

18. Everlovin' Antichrist

Not the first time AFL posts have gone up without anyone actually using them in Sydney.

And won't be the last.

19. Dresden Dan

Dresden Dan Juniors

I think the story should have local debate in that Council area but is it really a big deal for the entire league code? The Swans put up posts on the SCG & then league moved anyway. League gave up the SCG to AFL so why care about a suburban park?

20. Loudstrat

Loudstrat Coach

I'm pissed off for the soccer club - I reckon the AFL is against them as much as they are League, because soccer is the big junior sport in the west.

That said, if this is a war, in reality AFL is attacking us with the same power ratio as someone trying to invade Nazi Germany with a cocker spaniel and two angry finches!

Face it, the AFL has finally woken up to the formula. Start off with a game at Birchgrove, then wait a century until it catches on.

The best reaction? Turn up in big numbers wearing Tigers jerseys, and laugh loudly.