What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leigh or Catalans in Championship 2018

Who will win the Million Pound Game?

• Leigh

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Catalans

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

WireMan

Bench
IF those teams were to make it under P&R they would take another team's place. Who would we lose? Knights? Cowboys? Warriors? Eels? Is the NRL any better off? Is Super League better off with Leigh than Catalans? Problem is we would probably lose Warriors & Storm for Newtown & Wentworthville.

P&R is pure luck who you lose and who you get, RL isn't a big enough game to afford playing a game of chance with it's strongest assets.

Which ever team was worse.

Well yes well done the nrl is a franchise system.
The discussion was about the likes of toulouse or Toronto having a path to super league with a p&r.

If the nrl had promotion from a second division then the likes of the teams I mentioned could go all our and earn a place at the top table instead of moaning in the expansion sub section.
You're an idiot. Toulouse and Toronto could be in SL already if it wasn't for the rfl pandering to shitty little northern clubs. They could include them like they did Catalans. It just shows how far backwards the game there has gone since 2006. Imagine RL in England going further backwards.

And there could not be promotion of clubs like Perth and Wellington to the NRL because THEY DON'T EXIST.

f**k me. They're getting stupider.

Yes it was.
Australia Union clubs chose to play rugby league instead.
They didn't invent a game, they changed to a different already existing game.
No they didn't. Most of the clubs weren't union clubs at all for a start. There would have been professional rugby in Australia regardless of the northern union's existence. It was just lucky that the handful of blokes who made it happen chose to adopt NU rules rather than write their own. These men also gave the sport it's name and it was the NU that copied that. Get a clue before writing shit.

WireMan

Bench
You're an idiot. Toulouse and Toronto could be in SL already if it wasn't for the rfl pandering to shitty little northern clubs. They could include them like they did Catalans. It just shows how far backwards the game there has gone since 2006. Imagine RL in England going further backwards.

And there could not be promotion of clubs like Perth and Wellington to the NRL because THEY DON'T EXIST.

f**k me. They're getting stupider.

If you insist on calling someone an idiot, don't follow it up with saying something idiotic.

Perth and Wellington have rugby league teams. Do they exist in a mythical second division to get promotion to the nrl. Well no, as it is a mythical league.

In SL one club was brought into the game as a foreign expansion team. This shows the sport was willing. That no others were shows no others were ready.
Why you think they would be magically ready now is a mystery. Especially as the p&r model makes it easier to get in as there is no of the pitch stuff to contend with.

The fact that this expansion team may get relegated by a "shitty northern club" has clearly got you a bit emotional.

WireMan

Bench
No they didn't. Most of the clubs weren't union clubs at all for a start. There would have been professional rugby in Australia regardless of the northern union's existence. It was just lucky that the handful of blokes who made it happen chose to adopt NU rules rather than write their own. These men also gave the sport it's name and it was the NU that copied that. Get a clue before writing shit.

Does it eat you up inside that for all the guff you write about super league the sport has successfully travelled around the globe from shitty Northern towns in England.

To the point you have convinced yourself the game in England had no bearing on the game in Australia?

Professional rugby in Australia you say? Can't imagine why they chose to play the professional rugby game that already existed instead of making there own rules up.
I guess you were just lucky they did.

If you insist on calling someone an idiot, don't follow it up with saying something idiotic.

Perth and Wellington have rugby league teams. Do they exist in a mythical second division to get promotion to the nrl. Well no, as it is a mythical league.

In SL one club was brought into the game as a foreign expansion team. This shows the sport was willing. That no others were shows no others were ready.
Why you think they would be magically ready now is a mystery. Especially as the p&r model makes it easier to get in as there is no of the pitch stuff to contend with.

The fact that this expansion team may get relegated by a "shitty northern club" has clearly got you a bit emotional.
You have no f**king idea what you're on about. I don't know what "of the pitch stuff" is but if you mean off the pitch stuff it just shows how backward the game is there. Catalans are a brilliant club off the pitch but f**k that lets get more clubs with no crowds, go into administration every second year and have shit grounds. That's the attitude. And that's why SL will have the LEAST geographical spread in its history next year.

Meanwhile your shit about the NRL is just embarrassing. In no universe would the game here copy the ridiculous system used there. If the NRL wanted RL to be as weak as it is there it would cut the comp to 12 teams, they'd all be from central NSW, they'd only televise two games each week and not on free to air TV, most of the clubs wouldn't have reserve teams or under 20s, they'd play at Redfern Oval and Pratten Park, the average crowd would be half what it is and it would be sponsored by Lottoland.

Does it eat you up inside that for all the guff you write about super league the sport has successfully travelled around the globe from shitty Northern towns in England.

To the point you have convinced yourself the game in England had no bearing on the game in Australia?

Professional rugby in Australia you say? Can't imagine why they chose to play the professional rugby game that already existed instead of making there own rules up.
I guess you were just lucky they did.
You are a clueless merkin.

Where did the name rugby league come from? Why is it the number one sport on Papua New Guinea? Why is it played in Fiji and the other Pacific Islands? Why is it played in Lebanon and South America?

None of it has anything to do with any Pom. Nothing. It's lucky for SL that Australia has made this sport into something or it'd be even more weak and insignificant. In fact, why does SL even exist? That's right, it was because of the game in Australia.

WireMan

Bench
You are a clueless merkin.

Where did the name rugby league come from? Why is it the number one sport on Papua New Guinea? Why is it played in Fiji and the other Pacific Islands? Why is it played in Lebanon and South America?

None of it has anything to do with any Pom. Nothing. It's lucky for SL that Australia has made this sport into something or it'd be even more weak and insignificant. In fact, why does SL even exist? That's right, it was because of the game in Australia.

Lucky me.

I am so glad my team still exists thanks to the good grace of an aussie not inventing top ball and instead using the established rules of professional rugby to play professional rugby.
I am blessed.

WireMan

Bench
You have no f**king idea what you're on about. I don't know what "of the pitch stuff" is but if you mean off the pitch stuff it just shows how backward the game is there. Catalans are a brilliant club off the pitch but f**k that lets get more clubs with no crowds, go into administration every second year and have shit grounds. That's the attitude. And that's why SL will have the LEAST geographical spread in its history next year.

Meanwhile your shit about the NRL is just embarrassing. In no universe would the game here copy the ridiculous system used there. If the NRL wanted RL to be as weak as it is there it would cut the comp to 12 teams, they'd all be from central NSW, they'd only televise two games each week and not on free to air TV, most of the clubs wouldn't have reserve teams or under 20s, they'd play at Redfern Oval and Pratten Park, the average crowd would be half what it is and it would be sponsored by Lottoland.

The nrl stuff was an example of how p&r can help expansion. I don't care enough about what happens to Perth, Wellington, the Knights or the sharks to even think about someone copying the SL system.

Of the field stuff was the criteria for having a license. It meant there was more hoops to jump through to get a team. Now, just get good enough on the pitch, no politics. Much more appealing for people wanting to expand.

The nrl stuff was an example of how p&r can help expansion. I don't care enough about what happens to Perth, Wellington, the Knights or the sharks to even think about someone copying the SL system.

Of the field stuff was the criteria for having a license. It meant there was more hoops to jump through to get a team. Now, just get good enough on the pitch, no politics. Much more appealing for people wanting to expand.
Then how come NO expansion clubs has ever been promoted to SL?

This amazing method of expansion has NEVER provided expansion.

I guess failure is part and parcel of the sport there so it makes sense that supposed expansion pathways would lead to no expansion.

Pommy

Coach
Then how come NO expansion clubs has ever been promoted to SL?

This amazing method of expansion has NEVER provided expansion.

I guess failure is part and parcel of the sport there so it makes sense that supposed expansion pathways would lead to no expansion.

So the sport hasn’t been expanded in Toronto and Toulouse?
That’s not expansion?

So the sport hasn’t been expanded in Toronto and Toulouse?
That’s not expansion?
The sport "expanded" to Toulouse in the 1930s.

Both of them should be in SL. Neither are. SL will now have LESS geographical spread than it has in its history. Well done RFL.

Toronto is the only ray of light and the only real chance English RL has of becoming anything more than the tiny regional non-event it is. But the RFL is still holding them back to appease backward little clubs.

Pommy

Coach
The sport "expanded" to Toulouse in the 1930s.

Both of them should be in SL. Neither are. SL will now have LESS geographical spread than it has in its history. Well done RFL.

Toronto is the only ray of light and the only real chance English RL has of becoming anything more than the tiny regional non-event it is. But the RFL is still holding them back to appease backward little clubs.

The problem is you’re an Aussie (it’s not your fault) and you just don’t understand the mentality.
My football club has twice been relegated from the PL in recent years.
A club that is far too big to be playing in lower divisions, a club in the top 20 richest in the world, with a stadium in the top 5 largest in the epl.
I didn’t bitch and moan about the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth and Stoke being there in our place though.
I knew it was all a situation of the clubs own making and nobody outside the club was to blame for it happening.
The fans got behind the club and the manager and still packed out the stadium every other week.
People want to be able to dream, why would anyone support a team like Newtown or North Sydney? Where’s the romance supporting a club like that?

Sport is supposed to be about dreams and passion, Leicester city just won the EPL something nobody ever imagined could happen but it did. That would never have happened in Australia and Australian sport is poorer for it.

The RFL is a national body and their responsibility is to govern the sport for the fans.
The fans want promotion and relegation.
The RFL is not responsible for league in France. That is the job of French Rugby League Federation, whilst I support the RFL in bringing these foreign clubs in to the fold it can’t be at the expense of something as fundamental to English sport as promotion and relegation.

I would however prefer to see more strict requirements placed on P and R.
I would prefer to see one up one down with no play offs. But only if clubs have things like reserve and junior grades and are financialy sound.
This would be a good compromise as far as I’m concerned as it would stop good clubs going down at the expense of clubs which shouldn’t be in the SL.
This already happens in football, although it’s rarely spoken about as clubs normally make sure they are eligible before investing a promotion run.

With the current situation I wouldn’t be against the RFL as a one off expanding to 14 sides and just moving Toulouse and Toronto straight up. Although a lot would complain if that was the case.

adamkungl

Immortal
re: reserve grade. Why do people want this in a P&R system? Wouldn't it basically strip the tier below of most of its talent?

Pommy

Coach
re: reserve grade. Why do people want this in a P&R system? Wouldn't it basically strip the tier below of most of its talent?

You could work with another club much like Souths do with Norths. Then issues arise with promotion I guess, in football it’s fine perhaps in League there isn’t enough talent.