What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leigh or Catalans in Championship 2018

Who will win the Million Pound Game?

• Leigh

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Catalans

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

adamkungl

Immortal
You could work with another club much like Souths do with Norths. Then issues arise with promotion I guess, in football it’s fine perhaps in League there isn’t enough talent.

Isn't that then basically the dual reg system they use now? Shrug, I don't think a reserve grade really helps SL.
NRL has moved away from it to an extent, with half the NSW Cup using feeder arrangements and the far more successful QLD Cup being completely feeder based with no direct reserve squads. And look who's in the GF and dominating Origin.

A national reserve grade in the NRL for example would cost money to very questionable actual gain, and decimate the QLD Cup. I think if SL teams had reserve squads the gap between SL and Championship would become insurmountable for P&R purposes.

Pommy

Coach
Isn't that then basically the dual reg system they use now? Shrug, I don't think a reserve grade really helps SL.
NRL has moved away from it to an extent, with half the NSW Cup using feeder arrangements and the far more successful QLD Cup being completely feeder based with no direct reserve squads. And look who's in the GF and dominating Origin.

Possibly not I just got carried away in a long post I think.
I certainly want to see a youth system mandatory in the SL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I can see how disasterous P&R can be (Bradford, Catalans, Toronto (if they made SL and were relegated would damage the game in Canada)) but I can see how it gives hope to ambitious clubs and legitimacy to clubs that make the jump to SL (Toronto, Toulouse).

Maybe the answer lies somewhere between straight P&R and licensing; maybe the RFL adopt a straight P&R system (two up, two down) which means all clubs in the system have access to SL BUT there are minimum requirements to being in SL. Memberships / crowd averages, finances (bringing something commercially to SL) whatever the key criteria are for overall growth of the game. Set the bar at a level that no matter who gets promoted (and who they replace, the game as a whole won't suffer).

If a club ends up winning the championship and don't make the criteria minimum standard, they won't get promoted (and would know that they weren't at the minimum standard before the season even started) over a club in the drop zone that does. It would mean that any clubs that are really pushing for SL (Toronto, Leigh, Toulouse) would have to get all of the other issues sorted as they start to approach the pointy end of the championship (which could in some cases take a few years of planning).

At least this way, any team that makes SL is pushing the game forward in some way.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Can you imagine if the RFL scrapped promotion and relegation then tried to bring in 2 Canadian teams a US team plus the 2 French teams.
Fans would be in uproar.
Sections of the fan base are already complaining at the prospect but at least promotion and relegation legitimises them, they will have all earnt it.

People talk about alienating fans in Sydney if relocations or mergers were forced, the above would be even worse in my opinion.

adamkungl

Immortal
Can you imagine if the RFL scrapped promotion and relegation then tried to bring in 2 Canadian teams a US team plus the 2 French teams.
Fans would be in uproar.
Sections of the fan base are already complaining at the prospect but at least promotion and relegation legitimises them, they will have all earnt it.

People talk about alienating fans in Sydney if relocations or mergers were forced, the above would be even worse in my opinion.

I have to agree that any system needs fans to buy into it. Changing systems away from tradition needs incremental change over time.

Re: Sydney, why there's no chance in hell of an immediate relocation of 4 teams like some suggest. But a gradual shift outwards over years is possible.

WireMan

Bench
Fans would be in uproar.

It's when you actually write it down you think 5 teams from far of lands.
Is that a good thing.
On one side it spreads rugby league around the world.
The bad side is it will lose some of the things which has kept the sport going.

Personally I think that is to many teams without a radical rethink.
You are almost in a super rugby model where the dreaded merger word will start to be used.

adamkungl

Immortal
Is that a good thing.

You are almost in a super rugby model where the dreaded merger word will start to be used.

Agree. I don't think SL is particularly suited to being a multi-trans-Atlantic comp. 1 or 2 short-medium term sure.. but any more and the logistics get stretched (see Super Rugby, as you said) and they've got enough money and players to start a proper American comp.

SL could however have the aim of being an elite UK+Western Europe comp with multiple French teams (about as far off as Brisbane is to Sydney).

Pommy

Coach
Is that a good thing.

I’m not sure it would be a problem, expand to 16 sides and you don’t lose any English clubs. Follow a similar system to nrl for the season and the bottom side goes down depending on the team coming up being up to scratch.
The hope would be that the foreign sides brought in enough money to make it viable.

Golden point

Juniors
Relegation exists to appease some very small clubs who think they should be in SL but never will. That's it. That's why we are risking the future of the sport in France, so the likes of Featherstone can unrealistically dream about playing SL. If promotion and relegation goes well we get almost nothing. If it goes baldy it f**ks things up massively. It's a game of Russian roulette in which the winner's prize is a $5 gift voucher at IGA.
Spot on. They were on the right path but only gave it a couple of years. Sad.

WireMan

Bench
Expanding to 16 would require a re-think as that is a lot of games and a lot of travelling.

An elite league would be interesting. Maybe an nfl style grouping with Europe, England east and England West.
Limits the games and travelling nicer.

Not sure where it leaves the US though.
To get an elite though you may need to bring back licenses. If catalans survive they are hardly going to chance next season with a load of French players with the threat of relegation hanging over them.

WireMan

Bench
Also have you seen the Leigh owners comments?
Basically catalans relegation would be a disaster for the sport but he has to look at the best interests of Leigh.

I think he is angling to get away from relegation.

adamkungl

Immortal
Basically catalans relegation would be a disaster for the sport but he has to look at the best interests of Leigh.

Widnes and Leigh have been bagging P&R system every chance they get..

Golden point

Juniors
It would be sad to see catalans relegated but I think we need to consider that it is that same element that makes the wolfpack possible.

Sure we're all worried about what we could lose but what we could gain could be far greater... NYC RLFC ? Who knows sky's the limit.

Pommy

Coach

Bet he wasn’t saying that two years ago.

Pommy

Coach
Expanding to 16 would require a re-think as that is a lot of games and a lot of travelling.

An elite league would be interesting. Maybe an nfl style grouping with Europe, England east and England West.
Limits the games and travelling nicer.

Not sure where it leaves the US though.
To get an elite though you may need to bring back licenses. If catalans survive they are hardly going to chance next season with a load of French players with the threat of relegation hanging over them.

It wouldn’t be that many games if it followed oz. 24 games plus finals the standard season is 23 at the moment.
I’m not sure if you could use byes to compensate for the travel.
English sides wouldn’t have to play all 3 games over the pond either.

Latest posts