What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lens

langpark

First Grade
One from the vault. In 2012, France vs Wales was played in Lens, way up in the north of France and pulled in a crowd of 12,000!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqCPi9_UhmI

I am curious, can anyone tell me how/why they chose this as the venue? As far as I can tell, there was no RL activity in the region neither before nor after this fixture. Seems one hell of a missed opportunity. Especially with the emergence of Belgian RL a year later, could have maybe formed a nice little 4-team comp up there.

Storm13

Juniors
I could be wrong but I think it might had something to do with the pro league that they were trying to get off the ground. I think (could be way off) the owner of the Lens soccer club is a fan of Rugby League and I think they were testing the waters. Again could be wrong.

langpark

First Grade
That's a shame indeed. A pro League in 2012 was unrealistic (as it is today as well).

Wish they'd had the patience and a long-term plan in place to go with this event, which was clearly an enormous success! 12,000 is impressive even down in the heartland, let alone in a new frontier.

expansionist

Juniors
Lens was part of a push from Luc Dayan. Or more of a litmus test really.

All the FFRxiis eggs are now in the Toulouse basket.

Some of you should read this re: professional leagues.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_Rugby_League

Wow thats some interesting reading. The crowd figures there are really super impressive. Another missed opportunity.... PSG, Hussards de Paris etc.

The interviews in the vox pop at Lens were really interesting as well- just restates what we all believe - an impartial observer will enjoy the game of Rugby 13.