What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L'Equipe article

taipan

Referee
Get it out there to as many public outlets as possible.
Mentioned it on the Roar,think I may have stirred a hornet's nest.;-)

Big Sam

First Grade
You know who would really appreciate being sent the article (and could understand it without translation)?

Fitzsimons :lol:

taipan

Referee
You know who would really appreciate being sent the article (and could understand it without translation)?

Fitzsimons :lol:

As the Nike ad says just do it.I am not on twitter.He hates any refernce to Vichy when it involvers union. Used to love serving it up to him on e.mails.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
"Hey fitzy, you learned the french language from your time playing there yeah? Can you translate this for me? Tell me what you think.. thanks fitzy #wanker'

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Ahhh spitzy, I remember him lying on the back page years ago about a sponsorship for the French National Union team, he was on there loud mouthing as usual and told everyone watching that it was the funniest thing he ever seen when the French National Rugby side were sponsored by (condoms/ Frangers). Luckily someone who knew better jumped in just at the right time after everyone had a good laugh and told the truth, it was the French RL that had the sponsorship. He didn't like that.

Did ya spitzy :lol::lol::lol:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
For those that state that all this happened so long ago and it should be forgotten, pay heed to the quote in the article from the president of the FFRXV Albert Ferrasse in 1985 after the president of the FFJXIII (jeu à xiii) declared they would be attempting to reclaim the name "rugby".

Now, this is coming from the mouth of the french union president in 1985. The hate that existed during the war was still alive and well in 1985 - and league in France was well and truly in the doldrums by that time.

That's why Rugbyforumxiii is really good, I had a real good look there years ago and some of the threads and topics were eye opening about certain subjects, plus the part of their forum with all the pics and history. They have enough info there alone to really stir the hornet's nest.

Poul

Juniors
After having read "The Forbidden Game" many years ago, it still disappoints me that the French government has not made a full investigation into the despicable treatment of Rugby League in Vichy France.
There should be NO statute of limitations, and those responsible and the beneficiaries of those responsible should be held accountable, and made to pay due compensation.

I also thought after having read the book, that perhaps the best way for this to be brought out into the public arena, would be if a movie were to be adapted from it.
I had always imagined Russell Crowe playing Jean Galia :lol:
Who would make a good director for the movie? Ron Howard perhaps?
I'm not up on Twitter, but perhaps someone might like to put this idea out there.

Craigo

Juniors
Wasn't a 90 odd year old recently brought to trial somewhere in Europe for allegations of him being a nazi war criminal??
Just because a crime happened 70 years ago doesnt mean justice should not be served to the perpertrators...

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The author of the article has stated that this was the first time that an article in L'Equipe had generated as much feedback - in the four days following the article he received messages of support from all over the world at a rate of one message every three minutes! (1920 messages in total)

The article was largely based on the work of Robert Fassolette - rugby league historian, honorable president and founder of XIII Actif (association for the betterment and history of league in France) and manager of wheelchair rugby league.

Last edited:

Swamp

Juniors
Just a side note, I was reading yesterday in The West Australian about the French rah rah player who believes that drugs are just as bad in French Rugby as they are in cycling. He said he believed he was administered Cortisone before the France v Sth Africa semi in the '95 WC.

Latest posts