What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets get behind ALL our Young Guns

I would like to clarify my position on the developing young talent at our Mighty Club. I realise as a new poster on here some may not have picked up the satire in my first post (It was very subtle).

First the forwards

Crichton is an absolute gun. I think all are agreed we need to sign him up to a long term Taumololo like deal ASAP. With Sam out on Friday, he really stepped it up a couple of notches, he is a natural leader and will play a massive part in our future successes.

Fuimaono and Musgrove are both developing very nicely in what has been a difficult season for us. It is very hard to learn your trade in a side down on form and IMO this has contributed somewhat to Musgrove's inconsistency, but overall I see these 2 as core members of the side for years to come.

Murray IMO will develop into a gun, and I firmly believe Madge should be developing him in First Grade now.

Gosiewski and Greinke I would just love to see them both get an extended run on the paddock. Both are very talented but need injury free stints to develop further.

I've been unable to get to any live games this year, and I've only seen the 20's once on FOX. However, from what I have seen (and read) I'm optimistically confident that out of Johnstone, Fuimaono, Hamlin, Mailata, Hunt & co. that we should end up with at least a couple of keepers.

Next, the backs. This is where our depth is a little bit thinner, especially in the ready to go now category. There have been plenty of words posted on here about the often maligned trio of Burns, Jennings and Talakai. I believe some of this has been fair, some a tad harsh, and some downright ludicrous. All three had their development hindered by the fact they were thrust into first grade at the same time with a handful of first grade games between them, IMO all three were playing out of their best position and each of their mistakes/defensive misreads was impacting on those around them leading to more mistakes/misreads and eroding confidence. This was not fair on any of them, but in a fair world we wouldn't have been going into Round 4 with Inglis, Gray and Burns all out for extended periods.

Talakai is not a centre and we persisted with him there way too long. I think this was detrimental to Burns' confidence too. He looked much more assured outside Hunt previously. To clarify, I am in no way calling him a dud (I would never call anyone who has played NYC level or above that, except in jest). I'm saying I would love to see him develop into a hard running back rower.

Jennings I'm not sure about. At this stage I think he could possibly be tried on the wing, but I don't think he is a Centre yet and I'm not sure he ever will be. I've paid a fair bit of interest to the Panthers 20's in the previous 2 seasons and quite a few fans there seem to think he's a bit light on in the chest muscle department. Again, he undoubtedly has talent and I am hopeful he will develop into a decent winger for us.

Burns IMO will develop into a gun centre. When 3/4 of our three-quarter line (that's 9/16 for those not so good at Maths) were out or in AJ's case moved to fullback we had a massive dilemma. Apart from AJ we have no wingers of first grade standard. Some on here seem to think Burns has had a lot of experience on the wing. From my understanding he had only played a handful of games there before making his first grade debut there. This IMO was exacerbated when Hunt got himself suspended and Burns was trying to gain confidence in a new position outside an inexperienced centre who was also making mistakes, so on and so on. In summary I see Burns as a long term centre for us and we need to get him there sooner rather than later.

Not sure about anyone else at the Bears, maybe Douehi or Miski, but I think they need further development.

Sketchy on 20's too, but from what I hear Graham, Cordtz and Shiach-Wise are developing nicely. There's also a highly rated LU talent scouts who has big wraps on Hiroti (not sarcasm this time CM1, appreciate your input, especially the post match reviews).

All in all, I believe the future of this Mighty Club looks bright. With the present refreshing of the roster(including an astute signing or 2), further development of these young guns and a bit better luck with injuries, IMO we're not that far away from contending again.

Glory Glory

DiegoNT

First Grade
What a load of bullshit.

If they haven't scored a hat trick of tries within their first half of football then they are duds and need to be replaced by an origin star.

If they go on to have success at another club after being released then that's because They are now in a winning team, the other clubs get preferential treatment, the star players at the other club are making them look good or a million other reasons. It's just not possible for a young player that's left us to have matured with experience.

themacemaceman

Juniors
I would like to clarify my position on the developing young talent at our Mighty Club. I realise as a new poster on here some may not have picked up the satire in my first post (It was very subtle).

First the forwards

Crichton is an absolute gun. I think all are agreed we need to sign him up to a long term Taumololo like deal ASAP. With Sam out on Friday, he really stepped it up a couple of notches, he is a natural leader and will play a massive part in our future successes.

Fuimaono and Musgrove are both developing very nicely in what has been a difficult season for us. It is very hard to learn your trade in a side down on form and IMO this has contributed somewhat to Musgrove's inconsistency, but overall I see these 2 as core members of the side for years to come.

Murray IMO will develop into a gun, and I firmly believe Madge should be developing him in First Grade now.

Gosiewski and Greinke I would just love to see them both get an extended run on the paddock. Both are very talented but need injury free stints to develop further.

I've been unable to get to any live games this year, and I've only seen the 20's once on FOX. However, from what I have seen (and read) I'm optimistically confident that out of Johnstone, Fuimaono, Hamlin, Mailata, Hunt & co. that we should end up with at least a couple of keepers.

Next, the backs. This is where our depth is a little bit thinner, especially in the ready to go now category. There have been plenty of words posted on here about the often maligned trio of Burns, Jennings and Talakai. I believe some of this has been fair, some a tad harsh, and some downright ludicrous. All three had their development hindered by the fact they were thrust into first grade at the same time with a handful of first grade games between them, IMO all three were playing out of their best position and each of their mistakes/defensive misreads was impacting on those around them leading to more mistakes/misreads and eroding confidence. This was not fair on any of them, but in a fair world we wouldn't have been going into Round 4 with Inglis, Gray and Burns all out for extended periods.

Talakai is not a centre and we persisted with him there way too long. I think this was detrimental to Burns' confidence too. He looked much more assured outside Hunt previously. To clarify, I am in no way calling him a dud (I would never call anyone who has played NYC level or above that, except in jest). I'm saying I would love to see him develop into a hard running back rower.

Jennings I'm not sure about. At this stage I think he could possibly be tried on the wing, but I don't think he is a Centre yet and I'm not sure he ever will be. I've paid a fair bit of interest to the Panthers 20's in the previous 2 seasons and quite a few fans there seem to think he's a bit light on in the chest muscle department. Again, he undoubtedly has talent and I am hopeful he will develop into a decent winger for us.

Burns IMO will develop into a gun centre. When 3/4 of our three-quarter line (that's 9/16 for those not so good at Maths) were out or in AJ's case moved to fullback we had a massive dilemma. Apart from AJ we have no wingers of first grade standard. Some on here seem to think Burns has had a lot of experience on the wing. From my understanding he had only played a handful of games there before making his first grade debut there. This IMO was exacerbated when Hunt got himself suspended and Burns was trying to gain confidence in a new position outside an inexperienced centre who was also making mistakes, so on and so on. In summary I see Burns as a long term centre for us and we need to get him there sooner rather than later.

Not sure about anyone else at the Bears, maybe Douehi or Miski, but I think they need further development.

Sketchy on 20's too, but from what I hear Graham, Cordtz and Shiach-Wise are developing nicely. There's also a highly rated LU talent scouts who has big wraps on Hiroti (not sarcasm this time CM1, appreciate your input, especially the post match reviews).

All in all, I believe the future of this Mighty Club looks bright. With the present refreshing of the roster(including an astute signing or 2), further development of these young guns and a bit better luck with injuries, IMO we're not that far away from contending again.

Glory Glory
Welcome Stan.
I think you've hit the nail on the head mate.
A fair and true assessment of the season and squad so far.
Were not usually accustomed to this much sense on the forum unfortunately.
I Look forward to more posts from you.

Welcome Stan.
I think you've hit the nail on the head mate.
A fair and true assessment of the season and squad so far.
Were not usually accustomed to this much sense on the forum unfortunately.
I Look forward to more posts from you.

Thanks MMM,
It's good to finally be on board. Believe it or not I've been reading this forum religiously for 5 years or so and almost joined on several occasions. Finally, a certain poster got the better of me and I had to call him on his endless lies and backflipping.

Ironically, roughly 80% of the times that I have considered joining here to refute a posters backflipping and blatant lying, it has been in reference to another poster and not the one I called out today (As a mathematician I should inform you that 87% of statistics are made up on the spot).

Even more ironically, the main overriding factor in my decision not to join up in the past has been my hesitance to get involved in arguments with idiots. I do this enough in my professional and personal life already. Yet despite this, my first post on this forum was a reply to someone who, although historically used to provide some decent input, is now without doubt the biggest troll on this forum.

I guess that says a fair bit about my own mental deficiencies......

Rabbits20

Immortal
oi R20.... Bensville rabbit is AKA Stan da dunny man....p.s.you gotta get up earlier than that br to catch old shadow out lol....Shadow:p...
The others are falling for it too!!!!!!

We aren't silly Shadow.

Also Gosiewski and Greinke are not first graders!!!!!!!!

Also making excuses gets you nowhere and sugar coating things and not saying it as it is!!!!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Let me add young guns isn't just the way to go!!!!

There must be a mixture of experience in there unless you want the wooden spoon!!!!! FACT......................

oi R20.... Bensville rabbit is AKA Stan da dunny man....p.s.you gotta get up earlier than that br to catch old shadow out lol....Shadow:p...

I am disgusted by this comment.

I chose my moniker for 2 reasons. The first is that it is one of the mottos of our Great Club. The second is that because it is the full name of my best dog and I gave her that name because she exhemplifies everything this statement says.

To me Stand above the Rest means that as members/fans/players we hold ourselves to a higher standard than the general community. We stick by each other and especially our players, especially the young ones who you bag constantly and write off before they're even given a chance.

Rather than responding to my initial post which questioned how you could claim an absolute gun that you had wrote off as a dud, no less than 3 months previously, you chose to mock my moniker which is a proud standard of our Mighty Club.

You are a cancer F### 1Off !

I will not engage with you further until you offer a legitimate reply to my original post where I pointed out that although you now claim that all along you knew Gus would be an Australian Captain, less than 3 months ago he was a dud.

Question who I am all you want, or answer the questions posed ?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

First the forwards

Glory Glory

I am not as confident in our depth as you are but I definitely agree regarding Murray. He needs a run in the squad ASAP. The wraps on him are basically that his the "best young prospect in the competition". He will probably be a better player than a lot of our current players in a year or two of development.

Burns will have a while to wait before he gets to play centre but I can see him doing good things on the wing. Speed is crucial for wingers imo and he has that downpacked!

Rsag85

Bench
The others are falling for it too!!!!!!

We aren't silly Shadow.

Also Gosiewski and Greinke are not first graders!!!!!!!!

Also making excuses gets you nowhere and sugar coating things and not saying it as it is!!!!!!!!

Yep because what you say is the truth and who ever disagrees with your opinions are "don't knowers"

Anyway welcome to the forum stan make some great points with all of our younger players.

Rsag85

Bench
Let me add young guns isn't just the way to go!!!!

There must be a mixture of experience in there unless you want the wooden spoon!!!!! FACT......................

Fact 9 of the 17 players who played in the 2014 grand final victory team where young guys who where only in first grade a few years or debut that year fact

Latest posts