What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
JB
I thought it was great result yesterday but am having real trouble understanding how Penrith ever ended up as the 2017 premiership favourites.
The commentators / experts love talking it up but I had Raiders, Storm, Cowboys well in front of them and believe our tests are yet to come.
Even the free flowing game of the defensively poor Tigpies will be a real challenge for us.
Anyway as I said in other posts great work and I am looking forward to further improvement and the ability to being able to adjust to the opposition as they will all present something different for us to contend with.
Couldnt agree more OT re Penrith.....if you read my post yesterday like you I had Cowboys Storm ahead of the Panthers and The Roosters for that matter.....their a great side but wouldnt have installed them as favourites imo

Old Timer

Coach
Couldnt agree more OT re Penrith.....if you read my post yesterday like you I had Cowboys Storm ahead of the Panthers and The Roosters for that matter.....their a great side but wouldnt have installed them as favourites imo
If Penrith played Storm 20 times they might get 5 wins as there is a great deal of difference between their toughness IMO.
Pennies will beet plenty of non consistent, loose defence sides but against the tough grinding machines they will be found out pretty easily IMO

Fangs

Coach
Agreed with the OP.

Don't get ahead of yourselves boys, that Penrith performance was the worst of anytime team this round. They weren't fit or interested in competing.

The noose is a tad looser around Mary's neck...for now.

BennyV

Referee
JB
I thought it was great result yesterday but am having real trouble understanding how Penrith ever ended up as the 2017 premiership favourites.
The commentators / experts love talking it up but I had Raiders, Storm, Cowboys well in front of them and believe our tests are yet to come.
Even the free flowing game of the defensively poor Tigpies will be a real challenge for us.
Anyway as I said in other posts great work and I am looking forward to further improvement and the ability to being able to adjust to the opposition as they will all present something different for us to contend with.
I had Penrith, with Sharks, as my tips to miss the 8 this year. I think Penrith, for all the excitement of the shiny new players and so on, are vulnerable to a lot of weaknesses, poor defence and their coach isn't anything to brag about.

Old Timer

Coach
I had Penrith, with Sharks, as my tips to miss the 8 this year. I think Penrith, for all the excitement of the shiny new players and so on, are vulnerable to a lot of weaknesses, poor defence and their coach isn't anything to brag about.
Yep I agree both these clubs have a lot of work infront of them.
Moylan and Cartwright definitely have bad defensive techniques which they need to fox pronto because despite their attacking ability their minus' in defence will be found out and exploited by the smart sides.

Watched the game a second time

Have to say Penrith played poorly. They didn't match our intensity. Probably took us lightly.

Saints were determined, fit, enthusiastic and focused.

We have a very well balanced pack.

Backs are solid.

We have depth across the park.

Saints played the best game for maybe 4-5 years.

Nothing has really changed though. Its only 1 game.

We have a squad that can make the 8. If the game plan is well thought out each week and we execute as we did today, we will make the 8.

Consistent execution is what we need people, each and every week.

Very happy this weekend. Hopeful we can repeat this form next week.

Fire up you Dragons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Before people get on my back about being cynical hear me out. Today was a phenomenal win, there is absolutely no doubt about that. The boys showed a desire than I haven't seen since 2010, we played an attractive style of football and there were too many standouts to even name. You can tell a lot of work has gone into this new style of play and that's really f**king exciting.

We all have every right to be pumped about this victory. I'm pumped, everyone is pumped. But I think there will come a time very soon where we'll need to ease up and come back down to Earth. It will be fantastic to see the boys play like this every week, but i'm already seeing people saying we should re-sign McGregor, that Lafai is already back to his best and deserved his selection, that McCrone is a quality halfback, basically that anyone who has ever said anything negative about the club should apologise and that the egg is on their face... because of one big win. We were great today but Penrith were absolutely terrible as well. They handed us that victory and we took it with both hands and then some. The real test will come against more disciplined teams who will start to clue onto our new style. Consistency is key, backing up with performances like this week in week out.
I just don't want to see our fans do what they are so good at doing, and that is completely changing their tone about something after one game, whether good or bad. Because god forbid, if we have a really bad loss next week (which I sincerely hope we don't) there will be a massive crash and all the optimism we gained from this game will be shut down. All of a sudden Widdop will be shit again, McGregor will be a shocking coach, Vaughan will be a reserve grader and Lafai will still be shit.

The optimism is awesome, I genuinely am excited for this season now, but let's remember a few harsh realities as well. It's going to take a lot more than one win for certain members of this club to redeem themselves.
Great post.

The old saying is "one swallow doesn't make a summer".

We still have an inbred Board, a bumbling CEO and no cash. I still don't rate mcidiot as a coach that will take out a premiership but happy for him to prove me wrong.

hazzbeen

Bench
Watched the game a second time

Have to say Penrith played poorly. They didn't match our intensity. Probably took us lightly.

Saints were determined, fit, enthusiastic and focused.

We have a very well balanced pack.

Backs are solid.

We have depth across the park.

Saints played the best game for maybe 4-5 years.

Nothing has really changed though. Its only 1 game.

We have a squad that can make the 8. If the game plan is well thought out each week and we execute as we did today, we will make the 8.

Consistent execution is what we need people, each and every week.

Very happy this weekend. Hopeful we can repeat this form next week.

Fire up you Dragons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Well said , the main point here is what you say can Mary change his game plan to adjust to the team he is playing if needed ....

silverex

Bench
Winning a Round 1 game is much like breaking serve in tennis. You need to follow it up and win your serve for it to mean anything.

We had a good game last season at Kogarah against the Sharks. What happened after that?

After the game, people on the train and on the station were acting as if we'd just won the premiership. I guess I'm more of a realist. I'll be waiting another 5 or 6 weeks to see how we're travelling before getting excited, or not.

Vinnie

Juniors
Great win was definitely laid on by the forwards we have strengthened our pack and it showed but the most important thing yesterday was the fitness .... we have put in new fitness coaches and a lot has been said about how fitter we are this year and it really showed.
Our defense has always been good and nothing changed to much there other than even more resolve and better fitness.
Penrith was woeful and were probably wearing the Red V underneath cause they looked like they were playing for us ... but it was still very impressive how we didn't let up and even more impressive how we played what was in front of us and executed.
I think our backline played well but we still dont have that sleek killer instinct and i still firmly believe Dufty and Mann must be included somewhere. Field must be given more and more game time cause he is our FUTURE lets not lose him.
All in all im wrapped .. lets continue with more of the same please please.

Old Timer

Coach
Winning a Round 1 game is much like breaking serve in tennis. You need to follow it up and win your serve for it to mean anything.

We had a good game last season at Kogarah against the Sharks. What happened after that?

After the game, people on the train and on the station were acting as if we'd just won the premiership. I guess I'm more of a realist. I'll be waiting another 5 or 6 weeks to see how we're travelling before getting excited, or not.
It is also quite conceivable that Penrith might get whipped by a few other teams as well because TBH they were appalling and looked very lacklustre compared to last years outfit.

ALSGI

Bench
It is also quite conceivable that Penrith might get whipped by a few other teams as well because TBH they were appalling and looked very lacklustre compared to last years outfit.
Agree OT. I think they're in for a world of pain against the Tigers next week.

possm

Coach
I thought we needed speed, speed and more speed......

Haven't seen one of those posts for a while...haha
Even though we had a big win, there is still room for improvement. Our outside backs on the left side had problems adjusting/sliding and did not show any speed in attack.

Because of this I'd like to see Lafai and Nightingale moved back to reserve grade with Milne being selected at right centre, Mann being selected at left centre, Field being selected on the left wing and Aitken moving to the bench.

JDHD

Juniors
Remember 2014 when we won our first three convincingly and then Price got sacked ten rounds later? I'm not reading anything into this win other than it was an outstanding performance across the board and that the onus is now on the team to replicate for another 25 rounds at least.

Sorry, I'm devasted by this result. Paradoxically, it's because I'm so desperate for the team to win. And I'm not talking about winning 50% and falling into the eight but consistent winning which genuinely competes for the premiership. Sneaking into the eight will forever be Mary's greatest achievement. He will never deliver a premiership.

All this win does is to pacify a board punch drunk on mediocrity. And, disgracefully, some fans to boot.

Straight Shooter

possm

Coach
Remember 2014 when we won our first three convincingly and then Price got sacked ten rounds later? I'm not reading anything into this win other than it was an outstanding performance across the board and that the onus is now on the team to replicate for another 25 rounds at least.
This win re-assured me that there is nothing wrong with our cattle; they can perform at a very high level and most of our players are probably under valued rather than over paid.