What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

ALSGI

Bench
Sorry, I'm devasted by this result. Paradoxically, it's because I'm so desperate for the team to win. And I'm not talking about winning 50% and falling into the eight but consistent winning which genuinely competes for the premiership. Sneaking into the eight will forever be Mary's greatest achievement. He will never deliver a premiership.

All this win does is to pacify a board punch drunk on mediocrity. And, disgracefully, some fans to boot.

Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter
Understand your thoughts but - yeah nah.

I'm one happily pacified fan and hoping it wasn't a one off performance. Happy to be pacified as long as I keep seeing effort and improvement.

I'm not convinced with Lafai and Nighty though.

If McAnchor, Young Jnr and Hornby, along with McCrone, Widdop, JDB can continue to pacify me I'll even write a letter of apology, acknowledge their improvement and wish them continued success.

As far as the Board go they can f**k off and nothing can make up for their garbage - they're all ultimately responsible for all the shit we've seen.

If it is a one of performance all of the above can f**k off.

Crush

Coach
Sorry, I'm devasted by this result. Paradoxically, it's because I'm so desperate for the team to win. And I'm not talking about winning 50% and falling into the eight but consistent winning which genuinely competes for the premiership. Sneaking into the eight will forever be Mary's greatest achievement. He will never deliver a premiership.

All this win does is to pacify a board punch drunk on mediocrity. And, disgracefully, some fans to boot.

Straight Shooter
You will only be happy when you are completely miserable

SaintPauli

Juniors
Parramatta will be the real test. Even though it's week 2 parra pack is the one to test yourself with. Our preparation for this match should be with the same intensity as the Panthers at least. This will help our backs sniff the line. Contain the forwards and Norman,
WE WIN.

Belta

Juniors
If you make the 8, you're in with a shot at the premiership, and to do so in 2017 imo is not aiming for mediocrity, as the nrl contains the worlds best players, with the increased recognition and inclusion of Polynesians, New Zealanders, Englishman and many others and the quality and professionalism of today's teams its massive to reach the finals. I get that the Dragons recent track record is unacceptable but I can see improvements and I feel that we are heading in the right direction to make a play at the top eight, but still feel there are quite a few teams that are more professional and balanced then us at this very moment in time, but as I said I am feeling very positive.

The main concern and a few have mentioned it recently is our inability to retain our top end players, it seems the clubs that do this (albeit with under the table deals) keep under the salary cap and maintain ridiculously high profile players. Long way to go, but feeling positive, go the Dragons...

Belta

Juniors
"Parra will be the real test...."Agree SaintPauli, I think we will win the forward battle, but the key will be to put as much pressure on Norman, he controlled everything, and was very dangerous close to the line with deft little kicks, hopefully we dominate field position and they don't have many shots at us from close to our line, he also done a 40/20 so we will have too watch that, other match winners could be Radradra and French...

So yeah win the forwards smother those three out of the game and fingers crossed we bring home the bacon

Dragon66

Juniors
I for one am not getting to excited yet.

There is no question that the "Cartwright Saga" would have derailed Penrith's mental preparation for that match.
I'm sure that everyone in the club would have been aware that the Shit was about to hit the fan and, as is natural, they would have been more focused on their mate Bryce and what was about to come down on him then being able to focus on our game.

Cartwright himself had a woeful game, and no wonder.

I'm not trying to take credit away from our side, just that I think it was perfect timing for our team to put a great performance together.

I watched Parra play on the weekend and they are the real test for where we are really at at this stage of the season.

A good performance against the Eels this weekend and I see our team on the rise, and likely to get on a roll.

Can't wait - hope Wollongong is packed to the rafters and the boys respond. Bring it on!

If you make the 8, you're in with a shot at the premiership, and to do so in 2017 imo is not aiming for mediocrity

Another Mary/Board puppet. And stupid.

There it is folks, displayed in full splendour. Mediocrity crouched as success.

Straight Shooter

Belta

Juniors
OV said; "Another Mary/Board puppet. And stupid."

Nice. Despite your opinionated response, I do agree they shouldn't be aiming to make the top eight, (and I'm sure it's a common mentality) but instead they should focusing only on their next opponent with the goal to beat that opponent. Do this week in and week out for 26 rounds. If at the end of that you're on top, undefeated then you've achieved your first goal. From there you aim to win each game, week by week.

Imo there are a multitude of factors that contribute to the teams success or lack of, not just the fact alone that your team or coach (or for that matter fans) Aim for mediocrity, but again it's just opinion stupid or not

MilanDragon

Juniors
Another Mary/Board puppet. And stupid.

There it is folks, displayed in full splendour. Mediocrity crouched as success.

Straight Shooter

The straight shooter part I see in that response. The objective view definitely not.

What he has said is complete fact. Making the top 8 means you're in with a shot.

Now the debate comes down to what we as fans or the board dictate is a successful season?

For some teams it's top 8, for others it's top 4 and for others it's a premiership.

So OV if top 8 makes us all muppets what do you see as an achievement?

For me it's minimum top 8 with attractive footy and going into at least round 2 of the finals. Considering where we have spent the last 6 years (including Bennet's final year) that would be our best season yet

The straight shooter part I see in that response. The objective view definitely not.

What he has said is complete fact. Making the top 8 means you're in with a shot.

Now the debate comes down to what we as fans or the board dictate is a successful season?

For some teams it's top 8, for others it's top 4 and for others it's a premiership.

So OV if top 8 makes us all muppets what do you see as an achievement?

For me it's minimum top 8 with attractive footy and going into at least round 2 of the finals. Considering where we have spent the last 6 years (including Bennet's final year) that would be our best season yet

Despite the Dragons falling into the eight in 2015, they most certainly did not have a shot at the title.

This is nothing but an objective view.

Straight Shooter

dino2170

Juniors
whilst the win was great I suspect we are slipping in 2015 mode of play and mentality where forwards win games, backs are a necessary evil. Didnt I read Mcidiot say our strength are our forwards? This mentality will win a few games untill a team finds out that our backs are slow. This goes back to the bennet years where he left us a toxic envvoirenment. WAS IT WORTH IT Winning a premiership followed by twisted and foul legacy where pretenders try to follow the flawed philosophy of a money grabber.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Despite the Dragons falling into the eight in 2015, they most certainly did not have a shot at the title.

This is nothing but an objective view.

Straight Shooter

This post is an objective view, the other one not so much.

No in 2015 they didn't have a shot at the title, but that's the whole point.. what is seen as a successful season for this year?

What post does someone need to make so they aren't a muppet of the board or labelled stupid? Interested to get your thoughts..

Bench
I know getting to the eight would be a bonus to what we achieved last year but I don't want to see us limp into eighth.
A factor for me to judge our improvement will be the successful integration of our juniors and our 5/8 secured for when Hunt arrives.
Whilst defence is always an issue and scoring also I would be happy with an improvement which is much needed after last year

Belta

Juniors
Mary's recent presser was him mentioning about the players making sure they value themselves..a mind set of Mediocrity has likely set in recent years, perhaps they also realise this and and are focusing on this value..I've do admit I have made a conscious effort to instil in my children the; your a better player then anybody else out there attitude.

One thing in reference to the dragons was some of the preseason posts in relation to the importance of the dragons starting the season well, as winning is certainly one way of developing self belief

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Straight Shooter
Understand your thoughts but - yeah nah.

I'm one happily pacified fan and hoping it wasn't a one off performance. Happy to be pacified as long as I keep seeing effort and improvement.

I'm not convinced with Lafai and Nighty though.

If McAnchor, Young Jnr and Hornby, along with McCrone, Widdop, JDB can continue to pacify me I'll even write a letter of apology, acknowledge their improvement and wish them continued success.

As far as the Board go they can f**k off and nothing can make up for their garbage - they're all ultimately responsible for all the shit we've seen.

If it is a one of performance all of the above can f**k off.

ALSGI
totally agree re board.
Even if we win the comp still the board has a lot to answer.
We must not forget what they and expecially doust have done.
They have run this club to breaking point we are in debt and it should not have happened.
If they were in the public sector and running a company like they have been booted long ago.

Uplifting

Juniors
My concern is that you can't win every game by absolutely blowing the opposition away through the middle. Because you'll come across other teams with a great forward pack and eventually our forwards might feel the effects.

A dangerous backline (from 1-5) is usually essential to be a real contender.

The team will have to deal with this I think. I look forward to seeing what happens against the Eels.

TruSaint

Referee
Forwards still win games.. Maybe not on the score sheet by name, but without field position and a retreating defence its hard for a backline to inject itself.

We ran for nearly 2000 metres against Penrith. Thats a stat we havent seen for some years.

It allowed the Dugans / Widdops / Nene's etc etc etc to do their thing.

If our pigs can do what they did and have Parra on the back foot, our backline and halves have enough talent to finish the job Let alone our new 9, whom in one game showed plenty. He is a real goer.

Need to win this to prove that game one wasnt all hype and / or a poor Penrith.

Crush

Coach
Geez, roosters look good. Imagine dragons had pearce and keary as our halves. And their forwards and backs aren't bad either.
Good thread title, lets not get ahead of ourselves....