What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lomax Eyes Centre Spot

BennyV

Referee
He could have put Nighty at fullback when Dufty was there but didn't so maybe Mary is learning something which is to give the kids a chance.
Lol right, after 3 years at the helm Mary finally stuck with a decision to keep a kid in first grade when his hand wasnt forced. He's definitely turned a corner...

Bench
Lol right, after 3 years at the helm Mary finally stuck with a decision to keep a kid in first grade when his hand wasnt forced. He's definitely turned a corner...
But the season was all most over by then. Do we have to wait twenty rounds before Lomax gets a run.

epDragon62

First Grade
Sammy agree.
However, I feel Field will just have another year in reserve grade with the intention of trying to get some size into him without compromising his speed.
Sailor wont be eligible to play 1st grade as he is in the development squad along with Masters and Matheson Johns hasnt been added to that squad as yet.
Our future is definitely focused on junior development and as I see it.....
There will be movement each year between all squads ie u20 to Reserve grade or development squad
Current development squad replacing top 30.
Top 30 not having contract renewed
Etc etc
Tge pathway principle is to show youngsters how to get from whete they are to whete they want to be. Then add in performance, attitude and even injuries will make or break players....which is a give-me in any walk of life really.
Our biggest issue is the coach who seems to have his favourites, those who probably just agree on anything he says whilst the others are given token appearances.
Yes we need speed, no doubt about that, but McGregors power game plan doesn't follow the speed theory. Its why players like young Aitken have never developed because its all about the power rather than the developing the finer aspects of each players game.
Hunt, hopefully will be able to change that but I'm just worried we will get the same power forward game followed by block plays which most teams seem to combat as our year progressed in 2017.
Lets hope we get some variations in 2018 otherwise we are just one trick ponies.
The term “block play” is often used and I use context to assume what it means. Can someone please define a block play for me?

BennyV

Referee
The term “block play” is often used and I use context to assume what it means. Can someone please define a block play for me?
The double second-man play - halfback from first receiver throws it out the back (behind a forward running through) to the 5/8, who then repeats the process to the fullback. We basically won a premiership with it in 2010.

But it's the only play in Mary's book and given he pays no attention to timing, angles or personnel, it fails.

Walpole

Juniors
Not sure Lomax has the speed you blokes think he has. There's footage on the Dragons facebook page of Cameron McInnes out-sprinting him.

giboz71

First Grade
The double second-man play - halfback from first receiver throws it out the back (behind a forward running through) to the 5/8, who then repeats the process to the fullback. We basically won a premiership with it in 2010.

But it's the only play in Mary's book and given he pays no attention to timing, angles or personnel, it fails.

All teams use it.

Run properly, it’s almost indefensible against defences under pressure when you have hookers and halves with crisp passes and a fullback who’s a running threat who can also pass.

Also relies on a fullback who can make decisions whether to run or pass depending on what he sees. Slater and Brett Stewart were the masters of this hence their tries and try assists were off the charts most years.

Given our half, hooker and fullback had no clue how to run this play properly the last 5 years, I have no clue why Mary kept persisting with this play.

Not sure Lomax has the speed you blokes think he has. There's footage on the Dragons facebook page of Cameron McInnes out-sprinting him.

Walpole it was not a 40 or 60 metre race

It is a stamina drill

Cam is probably the most fit FG player at the club

The kid is 18 and in the process of increasing his fitness level from Schoolboy to that of a FG footballer

Suggest we judge Lomax's speed once he has finished pre-season training during FG trials

Life's Good

Coach
Great. Now if we can just McInnes running during a game to build some momentum early in the set Hunt will thrive.
Did you hear that SuperCoach??