What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longest Penalty Conversion

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ross Conlon playing for the Bulldogs kicked a 55mtr penalty goal against the Roosters at the Sports Ground back in 1983. I also remember Barry Andrews when he played for the Roosters kicked a goal from 52mtrs against his former team the Sharks down at Shark Park back in 1980.

kdalymc

Bench
In about 2012 Graham Mackay played for our team on the Gold Coast and he took a shot from 60 m out, 10m in from the sideline, absolute wanker

Foz

Bench
Ross Conlon playing for the Bulldogs kicked a 55mtr penalty goal against the Roosters at the Sports Ground back in 1983. I also remember Barry Andrews when he played for the Roosters kicked a goal from 52mtrs against his former team the Sharks down at Shark Park back in 1980.
Andrews kicked more than a few goals in his own half.
There was one he kicked from 10 yards in his own half at Endeavour field.
It was blowing a gale.
Can’t remember the side Cronulla were playing (Balmain maybe).
He kicked another from around the halfway in the same game.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Andrews kicked more than a few goals in his own half.
There was one he kicked from 10 yards in his own half at Endeavour field.
It was blowing a gale.
Can’t remember the side Cronulla were playing (Balmain maybe).
He kicked another from around the halfway in the same game.

Yep I was aware that Barry Andrews kicked quite a few goals from his own half down at Endeavour Field, I only mentioned that one he kicked for the Roosters there as I was at the game and it was a beauty, he was a great long range goal kicker, just a shame he broke his arm when he was at the Roosters which ended his career there, the game where he broke his arm against Norths he scored all the Roosters points, he had to stay on the field as the Roosters had used all their replacements.

Great to see the Panda get some recognition. He was a great goal kicker.
Still see him down at Sharks games occasionally. A true legend, even more so than the story of him literally pissing on Joey Johns in his drunken sleep.

I saw him kick one from over 60m out at North Sydney one day in probably the same year.

My old man reckoned some French dude used to kick em from all over the joint
60’s maybe

I reckon your old boy could have been referring to Puig Albert.. French freak of a goalkicker... plus some other interesting abilities...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puig_Aubert

My favourite..

His nickname "Pipette" was a reference to his smoking habits, which at several stages saw him smoking on the field.[4] Quite famously in a game against Wigan (which was played in a snowstorm), he actually caught the ball with one hand while holding a cigarette in the other hand.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I remember Johns kicking some goals from his own side of halfway
I remember him doing it once from right on halfway against the Storm & Robbie Ross caught the ball over the deadball line & flicked it away in anger. Storm players were shitty because it was already 35-16 & it was the last play of the game. Yeah, Pat Richards kicked one from about 55m just before halftime (went about halfway to the deadfall line) & Adam Reynolds kicked one from 51m against the Broncos - it easily went dead on the full too.

carcharias

Immortal
I reckon your old boy could have been referring to Puig Albert.. French freak of a goalkicker... plus some other interesting abilities...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puig_Aubert

My favourite..

His nickname "Pipette" was a reference to his smoking habits, which at several stages saw him smoking on the field.[4] Quite famously in a game against Wigan (which was played in a snowstorm), he actually caught the ball with one hand while holding a cigarette in the other hand.

That’s him
Dad mentioned the ciggies too.
I think dad was only a kid then

horrie hastings

First Grade
Great to see the Panda get some recognition. He was a great goal kicker.
Still see him down at Sharks games occasionally. A true legend, even more so than the story of him literally pissing on Joey Johns in his drunken sleep.

I always liked Panda as player with the Sharks and when he switched to Easts in 1980, he played quite a few good games for Easts, the one at North Sydney Oval where he broke his arm, he couldn’t be replaced because Easts had used all their replacements, he scored all the points, 9 of the 11 points he scored was when his arm was broken, he backed up Noel Cleal and pulled in the ball one handed to score a try and when trailing 9-11 with a few minutes to go he put through a wide angle penalty with his arm hanging limp to give Easts an 11-11 draw. Sadly that was his last game at Easts but one I will always remember.

Last edited: