What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look out Tony Butterfield

ali

Bench
In todays paper it is suggested that the next target for a RLPA boycot could be the 2004 World sevens. We had better be prepared for a fight if this starts to gain momentum. So lets be ready to go to the media if there is anymore talk of boycotting the sevens.

What is the point of cripping international funding for the game to get a better deal for NRL players? Absolutely stupid again from the biggest idiot involved in Australian sport.

dimitri

First Grade
i agree

if the world sevens was boycotted it would be an absolute disgrace

if the rlif had any guts they should be able to ban players from playing at all if they boycott

Alan Shore

First Grade
For sure. Butterfield is a duplicious, greedy scumbag and nothing else. Not having a minimum wage is great because scrapheap players looking for a chance get a First Grade opportunity and in some cases it leads to bigger $100,000+ contracts when they play well.

If there is a plus it would be that Russia or the US might win the thing. But that's not the point.

yakstorm

First Grade
I doubt the players will boycott the World Sevens, they all said how much they enjoyed it, and the clubs liked it as well, as it unearthed new talent like Ben Harris and Billy Slater.

Butterfield threatened the same thing in 2000 with the World Cup and 2001 with the Kangaroo tour, he loves just causing problems.

Anyway just on the point, what good would banning a player who is boycotting the tournamnet do? They already wont be there, so giving them no avenue to turn around wont help the concept. Rather the NRL and appropiate organisations should just talk to the players and let them know that by boycotting any event, it will only make it harder for them to get what they want.

In-goal

Bench
The players association must realise that they are shitting the fans off with all this we want more money crap.

I am happy for there to be minimum wage for players but thats it, they already make enough.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I think it's time the rlpa started boycotting butterarse. His demands and stupidity are ruining the game. he already screwed up the dally m's what else does he want to do. the sevns? the trials? hell lets just boycott league altoget5her until he gets what ludicorus demands he wants

bluesbreaker

Bench
I think you people all need to realise that Butterfield is just the SPOKESPERSON for the organisation. Do you think all the players disagree with him? God. If you want to blame someone, offload your blame on those that deserve it, and they are the players themselves (or the NRL if you're looking at it from the other end of the spectrum).

hmph.

Lantana

Juniors
I have it on pretty good authority that a lot of the claims made by the RLPA are Butterfield's design, only endorsed by the players.
He is using the players as a front for his own agenda.
The players are quietly embarressed about the whole thing.
You see the are in a catch 22 situation. If the big names, Fittler, Barrett etc don't back the RLPA then there is no RLPA and they will never have a voice. On the other hand a lot of these high profile players realise the $400K they suck out of the clubs per year is the real reason the lower profile players don't get of lot of money.
Tony Butterfield is a true boofhead in every sense of the word.

Latest posts