What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at our depth for 2018

De tmTrajic

Juniors
I tried to leave it alone, but couldnt so here we go.

Your problem isnt with our depth, its with our starters. Lote started, Teo started, McQueen came off the bench. These are not depth guys. You are sick of seeing depth signings and want the big name who will make a difference. Our depth is fine, the guys who are 18th - 30th on our roster shouldnt be very good. If they were, they'd be in the team or requesting a release to go play first grade somewhere else.

Comparing depth players from the 2 years:

18. Luke B - Nicholls
19. Lowe - Turner
20. Api/Cam - Farah
21. Bryson - Graham

Turner is as good or better than Lowe at that point who only played 13 more games in his career. Farah is better than Api/Cam. Nicholls is nearly as good as Luke B, I mean he played 9 games for the most dominant team in a decade just this year. So we are short a Goodwin type in our depth, but who knows what Graham is capable of next year. Would you have thought Some could start in our premiership team at the beginning of 2014? No way. No one had any idea who he was.

As far as balance goes, lets look at games played by some of our premiership winning team before 2014:

AJ - 0
Walker - 16
Some - 0
Keary - 10
Turner - 0
Tom B - 9
Api - 0

Those guys had sweet FA experience before 2014 and won us a premiership.

Its not about lack of depth or lack of experience, its about lack of talent. I agree we aren't a premiership threat next year. We probably won't be a top 4 team and may not make the 8, but this team isn't set up for next year. Its set up for 2020. Then it'll be something like:

1. AJ
2. Burns
3. Inglis
4. Gagai
5. Graham
6. Walker
7. Reyno
8. Musgrove
9. Cook?????
10. Sam
11. Fui
12. Gus
13. Murray
14. Talaki
15. Johnstone
16. Rodwell
17. Tom

Almost everyone on that team has 50+ games experience. Chrichton, Musgrove, Gagai, Murray are all SoO level players. AJ, Reyno and Walker are solid experienced footballers. GI and Sam are the senior statesmen. Johnstone and Graham are the next big things. That is where this team is building.

Alright, I'm done. Hope this might help get that sparkle back in your eye, R20.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think we have to watch a few games before we judge the decision it could turn out to be a masterstroke as it won't just be Crichton as our only running threat.

It also tells me that Seibold has a lot of faith in our U20's props.
I disagree.

Sam is wasted out wide.

It'd be silly.

Sam's best position in all honesty is lock followed by prop....

greg jay

Juniors
Is that official regarding Hunt? I've heard he has been given permission to look around but as it stands he is still under contract for next season.
I don't see there being too much on the market that is better than Hunt to be honest. He would be good for depth. A swap for Brett Morris would be great, but it doesn't look like it's happening.
Gopher Indian says... Him [Brett Morris... Him no good!!!]. Hunt better to keep... Getting rid of Hunt dumbb decision. Him better than dopey Morris!!! Bullee!!!

greg jay

Juniors
It's interesting to note that Sam is playing on the edge for England. At least he was in their trial match. It would give us more of a presence on both sides of the field I guess but we're stacked in the second row and not so stacked in the prop rotation.
Gopher Indian him notice when Sam Burgess leave field....... England PLAY BETTER!!! Ask Coach.White Feather him also say Sam Burgess... not worth money him paid. BULLEEE!!! CHARGE!!!

greg jay

Juniors
I think we have to watch a few games before we judge the decision it could turn out to be a masterstroke as it won't just be Crichton as our only running threat.

It also tells me that Seibold has a lot of faith in our U20's props.
I spoke to my old man on this and he said if Seibold plays Sam in the second row that'd be the first mistake Seibold would make and Sam is just wasted on an edge and wouldn't get involved as much... It would be dumb my Father said. I tend to agree.

Sam is a legend and he needs to be in the middle there doing the tough stuff. He is great in the middle is Sam and we look weak at prop if we move him away from there......

Musgrove at prop over Sam is just stupid. Zane should be off the bench..........

In the second row Sam may only make 25 tackles and 10 or 11 runs for 100m.

At prop he would make 17 runs for 150m regularly and 35 tackles........ plus he hits so hard in defence and can get offloads away plus quick play the balls and take that hit up which changes the momentum......

If Seibold makes the wrong calls I will judge him harshly.......
Gopher Indian him say Sam Burgess him NOT legend. Him and Brothers need Injun weight loss and fitness plan. Honest Injun him say legend win all time... but Sam Burgess... him LOSE ALL TIME!!! BULLEE!!! CHARGE!!!

Itsamansgame

Juniors
Gopher Indian him say greg jay off his face and smokem many peace pipe.
Honest injun him say greg jay fall and save forum from many evil spirits!
image.jpeg

Rabbits20

Immortal
I've spoken with some mates these past few days who are Souths diehards and they are saying all we really got was Gagai...... we needed another key signing or at least some reasonable ones.....

They are struggling to see us go well next year and that it could be a long one.....

Mind you they agree with me in that we only have about 14 first graders whereas many other sides have at least 18.

Rsag85

Bench
I've spoken with some mates these past few days who are Souths diehards and they are saying all we really got was Gagai...... we needed another key signing or at least some reasonable ones.....

They are struggling to see us go well next year and that it could be a long one.....

Mind you they agree with me in that we only have about 14 first graders whereas many other sides have at least 18.

My question to the club this was when Cronk was off contact

Hello again so since my last message. The club has only signed reserve grade players..... is this really the way to make the first grade squad better? And why aren’t we going after Cronk?

There reply was

There is no way we could fit Cronk in our salary cap. We've made depth signings (competition for spots), re-signed talented juniors who'll progress to first grade (similar to how Murray, Graham, Fuimaono and Crichton have before) and signed Dane Gagai (the best player in Origin this year). We're building a competitive squad under the salary cap restrictions - we'll have Inglis, Gagai, Reynolds, Walker, Crichton, Sam Burgess leading the way next year.

Rabbits20

Immortal
My question to the club this was when Cronk was off contact

Hello again so since my last message. The club has only signed reserve grade players..... is this really the way to make the first grade squad better? And why aren’t we going after Cronk?

There reply was

There is no way we could fit Cronk in our salary cap. We've made depth signings (competition for spots), re-signed talented juniors who'll progress to first grade (similar to how Murray, Graham, Fuimaono and Crichton have before) and signed Dane Gagai (the best player in Origin this year). We're building a competitive squad under the salary cap restrictions - we'll have Inglis, Gagai, Reynolds, Walker, Crichton, Sam Burgess leading the way next year.
Big question marks over GI though and AR too....

I hope the club knows as some of the youngsters really perform they'll look for more money elsewhere....

Rsag85

Bench
Big question marks over GI though and AR too....

I hope the club knows as some of the youngsters really perform they'll look for more money elsewhere....

Club is forcing on the future which is good but as fans we want results today not in 5 years from now. We are the only club that doesn’t go after guys with first grade experience, besides from Gagai the signings we have made have no or just a handful a Nrl games under there belt these signings do not make the first grade side stronger it pretty much makes us the same as this year the side who finished 12th but other clubs eg Tigers and Knights have made there squads stronger. Seems our recruiting team doesn’t really care.

burgibigbash

Juniors
Interesting to note that Devlin mentioned George Burgess has been a standout at training and is running freely .
If George gets back to his 2014 form which I think he can we are premiership threats. On his day he is the best frontrower in the business. Just watching a few games from 2014 and others on Fox over the weekend and George was just as good as Sam in most games. He, Sam and Tom were relentless in going forward and working hard in defence.

We were also very methodical and patient.

For mine it's a very simple equation. While everyone wants to play a bit of fancy footy and I agree that we could do a bit more with the footy , it's the simple things that we have to get right and the rest will follow.

Ball retention. A good kick chase and the same commitment and attitude in defence that we
showed throughout our three year reign as a top 4 side. The rest as they say will look after itself.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Interesting to note that Devlin mentioned George Burgess has been a standout at training and is running freely .
If George gets back to his 2014 form which I think he can we are premiership threats. On his day he is the best frontrower in the business. Just watching a few games from 2014 and others on Fox over the weekend and George was just as good as Sam in most games. He, Sam and Tom were relentless in going forward and working hard in defence.

We were also very methodical and patient.

For mine it's a very simple equation. While everyone wants to play a bit of fancy footy and I agree that we could do a bit more with the footy , it's the simple things that we have to get right and the rest will follow.

Ball retention. A good kick chase and the same commitment and attitude in defence that we
showed throughout our three year reign as a top 4 side. The rest as they say will look after itself.
We have the squad to be competitive, we just need as few distractions as possible; that's including injuries, form and off field stuff.

I'm really looking forward to see how Seibold's use of Tactical Periodisation comes into fruition. In hindsight I think the club was in need for a revamp; we had Madge for 6 seasons and I feel like the modern game means you can't have the same techniques for more than 3, you need to move with the times and I think we failed to do that after midway through 2015.

Anyway if Reyno, GI, the Burgesses and young guys have big seasons, we're in for a good run.

greg jay

Juniors
Gopher Indian him talk to Grandma Fortune Teller. Him no like what Grandma tell him. She say team sunk to ocean floor by Burgess Brothers and Inglis. # 7 him too fat. Grandma tell Injun to wait another 5 years before team any good. Bullee!!!