Loony Lib: Civil War

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Hello, I'm The Doctor, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Like the Marvel film, except we are stuck with the IronWanker and Captain Twat...

[​IMG]

Now, with the Toxic Tony vs GSTurnbull bout going string, there seems to be new divisions between the Libs and the Nats.

Liberals weigh bid to poach Warren Truss seat
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...truss-seat-20151208-gli1gl.html#ixzz3thy9VDjE

How much longer can Turny's sleezy smile hold together a party divided??

2. Hello, I'm The Doctor

The war goes on...

Tony Abbott says 'underhand' leaking needs to stop after polling revealed

Tony Abbott has declared that “sneaky and underhand” leaking needs to stop after polling was published indicating he could have lost his seat of Warringah in the last federal election.

The report says the polling, conducted 10 days from election day, warned Abbott could lose to Labor on preferences in a landslide, or by 57% to 43% on a two-party preferred basis.

Abbott said on Thursday the poll of his seat during that last federal campaign was “very, very closely held”. The former prime minister, in essence, attributed the leak to two potential sources. “I had it, Tony Nutt had it, the prime minister had it,” Abbott said.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-leaking-needs-to-stop-after-polling-revealed

Turnbull must be getting absolutely desperate to be leaking against his own backbench.

3. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

4. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

Ray's opinion is paramount in these matters

Ditto rugby league

Shine on Ray, shine on

Collateral and Pantherjim. like this.
  5. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

Nah, I want to hear Andy B's perspective on it all before I form an opinion...

In the meantime and in the real world, popcorn supplies are running dry.

6. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

Why this war is set to get worse
    2:54PM April 21, 2017

As if he didn’t have enough problems, life has just got worse for Malcolm Turnbull.

Powerful broadcaster Alan Jones today threatened to reveal private conversations which he says “won’t help the Liberal Party and won’t help Malcolm Turnbull.”

Jones, Sydney’s highest-rating radio announcer, today dropped a non-nuclear bomb near the Turnbull bunker — but threatened worse to come.

Tony Abbott, Jones said, had been “knifed by Pyne and Turnbull and their team of bed-wetters.”

And of those who had leaked material against Abbott, he declared: “You’re picking one hell of a fight.”

Jones was outraged by a story published yesterday in The Australian Financial Review, based on leaked Liberal Party research, suggesting that at last year’s election Tony Abbott was in danger of losing his Sydney seat of Warringah — in a landslide.

What saved Abbott, according to the research, was that Turnbull had to personally intervene, channelling some of his popularity to save the embattled Abbott.

Jones also featured in the story — it said that the Liberal Party was so worried Abbott would lose that they wondered whether two of 2GB’s big guns — Alan Jones and Ray Hadley — could assist.

“It would be good if Ray Hadley and Alan Jones could deliver a strong message about Warringah being under threat and perhaps do a job on Xenophon and Mathison,” the research reportedly said, a reference to Nick Xenophon, who was running a candidate in the seat, and James Mathison, an independent who appeared to be gaining popularity.

Today, it was Alan Jones’ turn to have his say.

Every so often, when Jones is angry, he takes a long run-up.

Today’s was reminiscent of the long run-up that Dennis Lillee used to take at the MCG if someone had had the audacity to hit him for six.

Lillee would walk slowly back to the fence. The MCG crowd knew exactly what was coming — the fastest bouncer that the world’s fastest bowler could deliver.

Today, Jones walked back to the fence — through his breakfast radio program he teased his audience that he would have “something to say” about the latest leaked Liberal Party research.

Jones began by declaring that he had been friends with Abbott for a long time.

Abbott, he said, was “decent, truthful, honourable, loyal, with a high level of scholarship, a splendid thinker and with a political capacity to present things simply and forcefully and unapologetically.”

“You know where he stands,” Jones said.

“A magnificent campaigner who would not only would have his seat at the last election, he would have won the election.

“But he was knifed as leader of the government, he was knifed as Prime Minister, by people who lack almost every one of those qualities.”

Jones said no-one from the Liberal Party approached him to “do a job” on anyone, adding: “And they wouldn’t be game.”

Jones said that while Abbott had taken 25 seats from Labor over two elections, Turnbull had lost 14.

“Just for truth’s sake, Abbott won 62 per cent of the two-party preferred, about the vote he always gets,” Jones said.

“I’ve tried to steer the middle ground here but if this nonsense goes on, I’ll tell you a few stories that will make it quite clear who had the dream run at the last election from Alan Jones and it wasn’t Tony Abbott it was Malcolm Turnbull,” he said.

“I won’t go into the detail but if this rubbish continues I will and it won’t help the Liberal Party and it won’t help Malcolm Turnbull.

“This relentless attack by the bed-wetters on Tony Abbott is getting no-one anywhere.

“The polls demonstrate a thrashing coming up for the government at the next election and they don’t understand why.”

Jones attacked Turnbull for not putting Abbott into the ministry: “Turnbull pig-heatedly, or hopelessly jealous of Abbott and his political success, refuses to reward talent.

“Or is he frightened of Abbott?”

Jones branded the Financial Review story as “ridiculous and untruthful.”

It had been leaked, he said, in order to damage Abbott.

Jones declared that the government was “a policy-free zone.”

“And where it has policies it can’t prosecute them.”

It was “soft” on the Labor Party because its instincts “most probably are more labour than Liberal.”

It was not prepared to respond to the anger in the electorate about militant Islamic behaviour.

It was not prepared to respond to groups such as Hizb ut-Tahrir, some of whose Sydney supporters recently recorded a video saying that men were permitted to hit their wives “gently.”

Jones told his listeners that in the last election campaign he did receive various phone calls.

They were from people who wanted to talk to him about Abbott — “Tony this and Tony that and you have to talk to Tony.”

Jones did not reveal who had made all these phone calls about Abbott.

But he made clear that at some point he may make such revelations.

Of all his problems, Malcolm Turnbull now has a new one — an angry broadcaster threatening to reveal private conversations.

At the end of today’s on-air comments, Jones said he had put a few cards on the table — “but not quite all of them.”

“There’s plenty more that could be said — I’ll save that for when it’s necessary,” Jones told his listeners.

This war is set to get worse.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...s/news-story/f8b69f5f5601c3bd4fe5c47435e02762
    [​IMG]

7. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

Here you are:

TURNBULL SAVED ABBOTT? WHAT A JOKE
    Pro-Turnbull forces pick this moment to leak against Tony Abbott.

The story is absurd:

Malcolm Turnbull intervened personally during the final week of last year's election campaign to help "save" Tony Abbott after internal party polling showed the former prime minister was so unpopular in his own seat of Warringah he risked losing it in a landslide.

Mr Abbott could have fallen to an independent or Labor due to preferences, resulting in a hung Parliament had Mr Turnbull not stepped in with robocalls and a personal mailout to voters in the dying days of the campaign, NSW party powerbrokers said.

And we're supposed to believe that Turnbull - who was so uninspiring that he lost 14 seats - somehow managed to turn Abbott's potential landslide loss into a landslide win?

On a two-party basis, after preferences were distributed, he defeated Greens candidate Clara Williams-Roldan by 62 per cent to 38 per cent.

What a joke.

Is it not possible that the the Liberal polling was dodgy - which seems to have been the pattern? Is it not possible that Turnbull's influence was marginal, given how unsuccessful he was in saving so many other seats?

And what is the NSW Liberal party doing, prosecuting this war against Abbott? Have they seen what they've done to the Liberal brand in their state?

UPDATE:

Then there's this leaked claim:

The [leaked Liberal] research recommends the Liberal Party enlist the support of sympathetic 2GB "media jocks" Alan Jones and Ray Hadley to "do a job" on high-profile independent candidate James Mathison, who was attracting a significant primary vote away from Mr Abbott, as well as the Nick Xenophon Team candidate Marie Rowland.

In fact:

Broadcaster Ray Hadley has described as “the greatest load of rubbish” he’s ever heard, a report that Malcolm Turnbull personally intervened during the final week of last year’s election campaign to “save Tony Abbott” after internal party polling showed the former prime minister was in danger of losing his seat of Warringah in a landslide.

Hadley suggested that the report had been planted by the “imbecilic Prime Minister” Malcolm Turnbull in a bid to discredit Mr Abbott...

Mr Hadley said the first he’d heard of the story was today.

“I’ve never heard of the independent polling,” he said. “James Matheson did a job on himself. No one from the Liberal Party approached me. No one spoke to me...

“I’ve heard Alan this morning say that he knows nothing about it either.”

Hadley fingers the culprit:

Mr Hadley said he had been told this morning that only Mr Abbott, Mr Turnbull and then Liberal Party federal director Tony Nutt had been privy to polling on Warringah.

“Now Nutt and Abbott wouldn’t be releasing it,” he said.

“Turnbull has released it to embarrass the former Prime Minister, myself and Alan,” he said.

“I’ve heard Alan this morning say that he knows nothing about it either.”

UPDATE

Tony Abbott fires back:

Mr Abbott said the polling should never have been leaked. He indicated it was done to hurt him.

"I always knew it was going to be a tough campaign in Warringah and we weren't complacent, we never are," he told the Nine Network on Thursday morning.

"We got a good result but I do want to make this point that this sneaky and underhand business of leaking needs to stop. It really does need to stop. It is absolutely corrosive of trust.

"The polling in question was very, very closely held. I had it, (Liberal Party federal director) Tony Nutt had it, the Prime Minister had it. I'm just very disappointed that someone has chosen to put it out there for self-serving reasons.

"We had a very strong local campaign, a very strong local campaign against a very, very strong field of challengers and in the end we got a great result and I'm grateful to everyone from the Prime Minister down for their efforts."

When you read the text of Turnbull's miracle robocall, the deceit of this spin becomes obvious. If the call really did turn a landslide loss to a landslide win, why didn't similar calls in 14 other seats repeat that trick?:

Hello, I'm Malcolm Turnbull. I'm ringing to let you know that your electorate is one of just 15 that is crucial to forming a stable government and preventing the chaos of a hung Parliament in uncertain times.

This Saturday, every single vote will count, I need you to vote for Tony Abbott so together we see things through, for jobs our economy and our country. Thank you for your time.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/a...e/news-story/de6f82a31aad1495604b98bbfc4908de

Pantherjim. likes this.
  8. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

Millionaires trying to draft Peta Credlin to unseat Higgins MP Kelly O’Dwyer

DISGRUNTLED millionaires are attempting to draft Peta Credlin to unseat federal Cabinet minister Kelly O’Dwyer in the blue-ribbon seat of Higgins.

A powerful group of local Liberals want Tony Abbott’s former chief of staff to challenge Ms O’Dwyer in retribution for her role in an unpopular tax on their superannuation savings. When asked by the Herald Sun about the plan on Friday, Ms Credlin would only say: “I have not been formally approached to run for Higgins”.

It’s understood the group of current and former Liberal branch members have made an unofficial approach and are willing to bankroll a challenge to the Revenue and Financial Services Minister because of their fury over the Turnbull Government’s changes to super.

Victorian-born Ms Credlin has long been touted as a political candidate.

While she ran the former prime minister’s office, Ms Credlin was accused of deliberately holding back Ms O’Dwyer’s political career.

As Mr Abbott’s closest political adviser, Ms Credlin played a pivotal role in the former Liberal leader’s rise and fall and was accused of being a “control freak” and “micromanager” by Cabinet ministers and Mr Abbott’s political rivals.

Since the pair were ousted by the Turnbull regime, she’s been a continued critic of the current government — despite having once worked for Malcolm Turnbull — through her roles as a TV commentator and newspaper columnist.

She has previously been linked to a Victorian senate bid as well as the safe northeastern suburbs seat of Menzies should Abbott ally Kevin Andrews retire.

The Herald Sun has been told Victorian Liberal president Michael Kroger — part of a rival faction to Ms O’Dwyer’s — is aware of the plan from Higgins branch members to challenge. Mr Kroger did not return calls on Friday.

Ms O’Dwyer, who supported Mr Turnbull in the leadership ballot over Mr Abbott, was vocal in her support for Peter Reith’s challenge on Mr Kroger for the party’s top Victorian role last month before he withdrew his nomination following a health scare.

Ms O’Dwyer is currently on maternity leave.

Any challenge would be a warning shot against warring NSW Liberals faction who are understood to be considering a challenge for Mr Abbott’s federal seat of Warringah.

The Save Our Super group emerged in Melbourne during last year’s election campaign after contentious Budget moves, including a $500,000 “lifetime cap” on after-tax super contribution.

Many of the group were members of the Higgins branch and complained that they were not given a fair hearing by their local MP. A series of leaked emails last year revealed a number of members had quit the party or were refusing to raise funds for Mr Turnbull because of the policy.

Mr Turnbull and Ms O’Dwyer declined invites to address a Save Our Super rally at Malvern Town Hall two weeks out from last year’s election day.

The changes, which come in to effect on July 1, include a tax increase from 15 per cent to 30 per cent on contributions for workers earning more than $250,000. The seat of Higgins takes in Melbourne’s wealthiest postcode, Toorak

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...r/news-story/d6b1ee15792c74f1a4c090789f7f5fb4

9. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

10. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Labor could just sit quietly while the Libs tear each other apart and they would still win easily....

I dont even think the leadership is an issue anymore, it was just that Turnbulls challenge the natural authority of an elected leader (tony had the respect of carrying the team out of opposition, Turnbull has no claim to authority whatsoever).

The LibNat party is so ideologically divided, the only surprising thing is that they havent torn each other apart earlier. This infighting wont end until they are back in opposition, and even then i will be surprised if there is anyone able to keen the party from fracturing entirely...

11. OVP

OVP Coach

We love you Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

12. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

13. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

wtf has being a woman got to do with it ?

Is there an exception from being moved against if you have a kiddie ?

What is the appropriate time frame to wait ?

14. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

I would imagine once she came off parental leave would be a little more appropriate.

15. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

If she's like other federal public servants that might be a while

Surely likes this.
  16. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Coach

The election 'aint exactly tomorrow either.

17. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

Shame on Credlin for fuelling fire
    12:03PM April 23, 2017

The surgically timed political strike at Kelly O’Dwyer, barely a week after she gave birth, tells you everything you need to know about how poisonous some sections of the Liberal Party are.

The suggestion is that a group of Liberals (evidently with very short memories) are aghast at O’Dwyer for amending superannuation rules. They are encouraging Peta Credlin to challenge her for preselection.

Put to one side Credlin’s role in concocting the deficit levy, which most Liberals rightly saw as both an increase in income taxes and a broken election promise, no one can blame Credlin for being sounded out. Taking a few calls is hardly a crime.

However, Credlin could have snuffed out the story very quickly by using the same rhetoric she has in the past when ruling out interest in a political career. Whether publicly or privately she has been adamant that she has no ambitions in that direction. Which is a shame, given the Liberals need talented women in their ranks, as I wrote in Saturday’s paper.

On this occasion, Credlin chose her words deliberately — she has not been “formally approached”, she said. The aim can only have been to kick the story along, at O’Dwyer’s discomfort. I can’t believe Credlin would be so loose and accidental with her wording — she is no fool.

Credlin and O’Dwyer do not like each other. When Credlin was Tony Abbott’s chief of staff she expressed negative sentiments about O’Dwyer’s skills to others. O’Dwyer has long questioned Credlin’s self-stylised role as a champion of women within the Liberal Party.

If either women found a way to walk on water across Sydney Harbour, the other women would point out that when doing so she neglected to pay the toll. This is why Credlin was the perfect puppet for the superannuation group angry at O’Dwyer — they knew she couldn’t help but fuel the story.

Liberals wanting clean air have every right to be angry at Credlin for kicking along a distracting story which really has no prospects of morphing into a tangible challenge. Credlin seriously challenging O’Dwyer for Higgins is a fantasy, as she would well know.

As for the group of Liberals who approached Credlin, off the back of O’Dwyer having the temerity to reform super, they should reflect on their self-interested elitism.

The changes to super taxes mean than if as a couple you earn a couple of hundred thousand dollars a year in interest, you start paying 15 per cent tax on any additional earnings thereafter. The principal sum isn’t taxed and nor are the likely hundreds of thousands of dollars in returns on the earnings from the initial millions invested.

In other words, the tax is incredibly low, long overdue, less onerous than what Labor proposed at the last election and necessary with the ageing of the population.

And it isn’t as if O’Dwyer came up with this policy all on her own. The ERC endorsed it, so did the cabinet as well as the party room. The policy enacted is a watered-down version of what was taken to the election.

Those opposed to it are the personification of self interested, out of touch elites who think a life of high income earns them the right to pay no taxes in retirement. Shame on Credlin for giving their nastily timed undermining of O’Dwyer (and by extension Malcolm Turnbull) oxygen it didn’t deserve.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...y/news-story/9b35b1579ff36857a69d0d27d6aab5a8

18. Spanner in the works

Spanner in the works Bench

19. Hello, I'm The Doctor

20. butchmcdick

butchmcdick Guest

All hail prime minister patato head