What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano Leilua

O'Sullivan

Juniors
Leilua to me ultimately is lazy in defence. He reminds me of those players who only want to make an effort when we have the ball. At this stage he would be targeted by other sides. He has lost a lot of weight apparently. That is a start but he needs to learn to be a complete footballer. At the moment he seems stuck behind a NRL level and above the Reggies standard. He deserves time to develop, from the bench, but god I'll hold my breath every time he is on the field.

denis preston

First Grade
Impressed how hard he ran & put his shoulder in tackles last game. It's obvious to me that he has been brought along slowly in line with his body development so congratulations to the club for this ( I think Lomax is being treated the same ). Based on this I hope Mary gives him at least 20 or 30 minutes on Sunday.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Impressed how hard he ran & put his shoulder in tackles last game. It's obvious to me that he has been brought along slowly in line with his body development so congratulations to the club for this ( I think Lomax is being treated the same ). Based on this I hope Mary gives him at least 20 or 30 minutes on Sunday.

Good signs, but I want to see him do it when the team is under the pump. Last weeks game was a drubbing and he came on the field when the game was already well and truly won.
He bullied them and kicked them while they were down which was great, but the real test will be seeing how well he wrestles back momentum and puts in the work when we're the ones who are down.

Dragsters

First Grade
Good signs, but I want to see him do it when the team is under the pump. Last weeks game was a drubbing and he came on the field when the game was already well and truly won.
He bullied them and kicked them while they were down which was great, but the real test will be seeing how well he wrestles back momentum and puts in the work when we're the ones who are down.

He will only be able to do this if Mary gives him some decent minutes.

I believe if Luc is to be regularly selected on the bench then he may be best utilised around the middle section of the match, prior and post the half time break.

More often than not this period offers the most opportunity to take advantage of fatigued opponents and those that do not switch back on directly after the break.

Otherwise if Mary wants to only involve Luc in one interchange the 20-30 minutes at the back end of each game at least is the only way he will develop effectively.

Bottom line is if Mary selects him then he needs to show faith in him allow him to build confidence...

hermidale1

Juniors
This is something that everyone could be waiting a long time for.
He is not a player that stands up in an arm wrestle or tight games. But Mary will keep picking him so he doesn't look like he's made the wrong choice.

watatank

Coach
The indications seem to be that Leilua will only be brought into favourable situations but if that's the case he should be moving between NRL and NSW Cup. And theres nothing wrong with that. Last week was Sele's first game this year, it should also have been Leilua's first game this year.

Uplifting

Juniors
The suggestion of laziness, might be a matter of Luc’s manerism. If he’s missed a tackle or failed to get in position then there is a deficiency. But sometimes I think talent is mistaken for laziness.

Conversely, some players are more obviously trying but can fall short in some areas despite the effort.

I think body language is important in sport. But this could be more about balance than effort.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
Leilua to me ultimately is lazy in defence. He reminds me of those players who only want to make an effort when we have the ball. At this stage he would be targeted by other sides. He has lost a lot of weight apparently. That is a start but he needs to learn to be a complete footballer. At the moment he seems stuck behind a NRL level and above the Reggies standard. He deserves time to develop, from the bench, but god I'll hold my breath every time he is on the field.

Where do you get that from ? He's played two games this year and hasn't missed a tackle and he runs in to help his teammates finish off a tackle when necessary. I watched him a bit in the Cutters last year and can't remember him being what anyone could call lazy. Maybe it's his physique that's given you the impression you have I don't know but I disagree, I reckon he's gone alright so far and he'll really shine sooner rather than later. For a bloke that's only played a handful of 1st grade he looks right at home.

BennyV

Referee
Where do you get that from ? He's played two games this year and hasn't missed a tackle and he runs in to help his teammates finish off a tackle when necessary. I watched him a bit in the Cutters last year and can't remember him being what anyone could call lazy. Maybe it's his physique that's given you the impression you have I don't know but I disagree, I reckon he's gone alright so far and he'll really shine sooner rather than later. For a bloke that's only played a handful of 1st grade he looks right at home.
To be fair, the 2 games he’s played have been in a completely dominant team. Against the Broncos he didn’t do much and from memory contributed to the Roberts try, but improved against Titans.

In the Charity Shield he was badly exposed defensively.

watatank

Coach
The suggestion of laziness, might be a matter of Luc’s manerism. If he’s missed a tackle or failed to get in position then there is a deficiency. But sometimes I think talent is mistaken for laziness.

Conversely, some players are more obviously trying but can fall short in some areas despite the effort.

I think body language is important in sport. But this could be more about balance than effort.

Yeah but having ‘talent’ in Leilua case refers to what he can do with ball in hand. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a terrible defender

kit66

Bench
To be fair, the 2 games he’s played have been in a completely dominant team. Against the Broncos he didn’t do much and from memory contributed to the Roberts try, but improved against Titans.

In the Charity Shield he was badly exposed defensively.

The Charity Shield was a mess of a game, no-one played particularly well.
I'll have to watch the Broncs game again, was planning to over Easter but did he actually get any game time in that ?

When the guy is given 6-8 consecutive periods of 20-30 minutes his performance level can be seriously assessed.

In my view he needs to be given a bench spot as a potential game breaker. He is an impact player, not someone who is going to play 80 minutes each week.

He needs game time to develop self belief. In short he seems subdued because he questions himself whether he is up to the challenge of FG.

Last game he made a great run that showed he can be ultra aggressive.

If Euan Aitken can improve his defensive reads, can't see why this bloke cannot bring his defence to FG standard.

Patience forum members, the kid needs a bit more time.

When he clicks, Dufty will benefit hugely and our attack will rise to another level.

Latest posts