What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano Leilua

SaintPauli

Juniors
FMD some of this criticism is over the top...

You do know Luc has only played 9 NRL games? it seems that most people are already expecting a polished player. You have to give him time to develop at NRL level. Yes, he made some mistakes on Friday night but so did a few others. It also doesn't help that he is introduced into the game halfway through the second half. Any mistake he makes will be more critical, especially in close games.

Every player makes mistakes! if it becomes a trend in his game then I wouldn't have any issue with him being dropped.

The fact is the Dragons are yet to loose a game and unless there's an injury, I wouldn't be making any changes to the line up.
I do recall Jack Debellin being rated the same way as Luc with a heap of criticism. Look at Jack now! Our young guys will cop criticism from coaching staff and players but the key is how they come through it. Luc has a heap of potential and definitely room to improve as Jack did.

Old Timer

Coach
I do recall Jack Debellin being rated the same way as Luc with a heap of criticism. Look at Jack now! Our young guys will cop criticism from coaching staff and players but the key is how they come through it. Luc has a heap of potential and definitely room to improve as Jack did.
Jack might have been green around the ears and needed to work out what 1st grade was about but he was already tough and he was never lazy so a considerable difference in that respect and that's coming from 1 of JDB's harshest critics.

Como Connection

First Grade
The kid needs more time.

Those of you who continue to bag a junior with 9 NRL games under his belt equating to approx 80-100 minutes should ask yourselves why we have a policy of cultivating junior talent.

He needs time to find his feet in FG. If Mary doesn't afford him another 3-5 games before judging his progress, I for one will be disappointed.

If by round 8-10 he hasn't "improved" give Host a run.

When the injuries come and unfortunately they will, the rest of the juniors will see extensive minutes.

In the meantime lets give Luc some time to become a FG forward.

It is not so long ago JDB was much maligned by some on the forum. Doesn't appear to be playing so badly any more does he ?
Disagree, he cannot have that position on potent alone.
Has shown nothing, Host and Sele deserve that spot.
FACT
CC

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors
Luc needs a spell. Sele or host need to come in. At this point in time luc has had zero impact in attack. He is lazy in defence and slow covering from the inside and was a big part of why south's scored 2 times down the side he was defending. From the bench we need more of what we are doing in the first place and Luc doesn't provide that.
Mann provides plenty of spark from the bench already. Host or Sele. Let Luc work hard in state Cup. He is not ready and really it's really demotivating for players who are. Luc does have potential but between him and the Coaching staff we nearly lost that game. no way he should have been on the field in the last 10 min of the Souths game.

mobels

Juniors
Jack never had the reputation of being lazy though, even on the weekend when Leilua played NSW Cup he let in a try by being to lazy to scramble in defence.

Redhoopz

Juniors
Luc needs a spell. Sele or host need to come in. At this point in time luc has had zero impact in attack. He is lazy in defence and slow covering from the inside and was a big part of why south's scored 2 times down the side he was defending. From the bench we need more of what we are doing in the first place and Luc doesn't provide that.
Mann provides plenty of spark from the bench already. Host or Sele. Let Luc work hard in state Cup. He is not ready and really it's really demotivating for players who are. Luc does have potential but between him and the Coaching staff we nearly lost that game. no way he should have been on the field in the last 10 min of the Souths game.

People need to have patience...he made some mistakes but he'll learn from that. Luc is no different to any other player 9 games into their career.

What I don't get is why are people so quick to write a guy off that has only had a handful of games.

Everyone is always up in arms when we loose a youngster to another club and complains that they weren't given a chance to develop. There were plenty of people calling for him to get a shot this year, but nobody wants to give him time to develop.

BennyV

Referee
What I don't get is why are people so quick to write a guy off that has only had a handful of games.
Who’s writing him off? Most of the comments clearly state that he may make it in the long term, but there are better players more deserving of his first grade spot and persevering with him in first when he’s currently not up to it is foolishness.

Old Timer

Coach
Who’s writing him off? Most of the comments clearly state that he may make it in the long term, but there are better players more deserving of his first grade spot and persevering with him in first when he’s currently not up to it is foolishness.
The bigger question is will Mc Fookknuckle instantly pick him in 1st grade upon his return from injury?
The other question is, why when so many people said Latimore was only a depth signing are they so happy for him to be continually selected in 1st grade?

Frank Facer

First Grade
The bigger question is will Mc Fookknuckle instantly pick him in 1st grade upon his return from injury?
The other question is, why when so many people said Latimore was only a depth signing are they so happy for him to be continually selected in 1st grade?
I am not a fan of Latimore, but I do think we need 2 props on the bench. Before the season started, I said that we need one more good prop on our roster. I have still been saying it all season. That is why I want us to sign Pangai Junior.

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors

That’s exactly right. Not saying he won’t make it or can’t come back in.It is a along year let’s look at some other options and find out who is in our best 17.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Jack might have been green around the ears and needed to work out what 1st grade was about but he was already tough and he was never lazy so a considerable difference in that respect and that's coming from 1 of JDB's harshest critics.
Agree
I agree Luc needs to get back to reserve grade and get some defensive mongrel coached in him. Out of Sele and Host so far this season Sele has impressed with aggressive runs and defence.

Frank Facer

First Grade
DeBelin was stuffed around and mismanaged big time by Price. If I was coach then, DeBelin would have been our starting lock and permanent member of our team. Merrin would have been moved back to prop.

DeBelin graduated under 20's as the Dally M player of the year in the whole competition. At the time I thought he was our best forward prospect who had come through our system since Tallis. In the last 2 years he is finally starting to prove me right.

He will make it one day, but got to learn a lot more yet, got to get some starch and mongrel into him, not overly, but at least some.

Not to knock the kid, but going on BJs form I fear he may be always over weight and just one of those players who only plays when he feels like it.

Now before everyone jumps all over me for knocking BJ , I like him as a player, but I still think if he put maximum effort in week on week he could be a superstar centre in the Mal Meninga mould.

ouryears

Bench
Not to knock the kid, but going on BJs form I fear he may be always over weight and just one of those players who only plays when he feels like it.

Now before everyone jumps all over me for knocking BJ , I like him as a player, but I still think if he put maximum effort in week on week he could be a superstar centre in the Mal Meninga mould.
I agree mate, watching him play 30 times or so I can clearly see he could be a mega star, but realise now he won’t put the hard yakka in to become that super star.

He is happy to be a threatening player who could be a champion, but doubt he will go that extra 30% needed.

Probably in today game good old Artie Beetson might even struggle wth the pace of the game

Artie was a damn good one though, skilled, ball playing freak, tough, and
a great guy

But not a lover of fitness lol