What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano Leilua

Carlton

Juniors
If we have a bench of Ah Mau/Leilua/Sele/Mann... Then the rotation in the first half should look a little like this:

- Sims to play 25-30 minutes on the edge
- Luciano to come on at the 25-30 minute mark, 15 or so minutes before half time
- Sims to shift to the middle for Vaughan and plays the remaining 15 minutes, Ah Mau to come on for Graham
- Sele to come on for De Belin at the 32-35 minute mark.

I feel like Sims can handle the 40 minute load. Give him a 20 minute rest in the second half, then bring him back on for Luciano in the last 20 minutes. That way he gets a solid breather.

I sure as hell don't want to see Host coming on and playing in the middle. He was getting absolutely towelled up there last year.

I'm not commenting on the validity of your planned forward rotation but there is a strong feeling among some of the management that the secondrowers must be playing 80 minutes if the team is to be successful.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I'm not commenting on the validity of your planned forward rotation but there is a strong feeling among some of the management that the secondrowers must be playing 80 minutes if the team is to be successful.

I tend to agree, but unless Luciano is prepared to play 80 minutes, that may not be possible. He's the better prospect out of him and Jacob Host.
We also can't play Sims on the edge for 80 minutes because we'll lose Luciano and Host. I wouldn't have either of those lads in the middle rotation, both Luch and Host are both made for the edge.

Carlton

Juniors
I tend to agree, but unless Luciano is prepared to play 80 minutes, that may not be possible. He's the better prospect out of him and Jacob Host.
We also can't play Sims on the edge for 80 minutes because we'll lose Luciano and Host. I wouldn't have either of those lads in the middle rotation, both Luch and Host are both made for the edge.

This is exactly why a raised this, if thats the thinking then it complicates the equation, it doesn't seem to fit with the players we have. I'm thinking they intend to play host and frizell in the second row, this would mean sims is part of the prop rotation with Au Mau, Luciano on the bench (who knows how he will be used) and the last spot I dont know.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
This is exactly why a raised this, if thats the thinking then it complicates the equation, it doesn't seem to fit with the players we have. I'm thinking they intend to play host and frizell in the second row, this would mean sims is part of the prop rotation with Au Mau, Luciano on the bench (who knows how he will be used) and the last spot I dont know.
Don't forget about latimore and allgood ,because coach won't ........

Frank Facer

First Grade
Mary actually elevated Lucky straight into first grade at the end of the 2016 season. I am pretty sure that he had Lucky starting the game too. Then Lucky spent the whole of last year in reserve grade, playing full games to my knowledge, where he won player of the year. If Mary would start Lucky in 2016, then I see no reason why he would not start with him now in 2018?

RufusRex

Post Whore
Mary actually elevated Lucky straight into first grade at the end of the 2016 season. I am pretty sure that he had Lucky starting the game too. Then Lucky spent the whole of last year in reserve grade, playing full games to my knowledge, where he won player of the year. If Mary would start Lucky in 2016, then I see no reason why he would not start with him now in 2018?

he didn't ... 5 games all from the bench.

Walpole

Juniors
Vaughan
McInnes
Graham
Frizell
Host
De Belin

Ah Mau
Sims
Leilua
Nicholls

I'm assuming you'e got Nicholls there as some sort of hooker backup. If you were going to go that way, wouldn't a bloke who actually plays hooker, has played against NZ and Australia in a world cup and has a far, far bigger future be a better bet than a lifetime reserve grader?

possm

Coach
We purchased Nicholls as a backup half so unless Widdop and/or Hunt are unavailable, he occupies a spot in our 30 for no reason. I was of the understanding that in the past he has played hooker and so his inclusion would back up the halves and provide a hooker rotation opportunity at the same time. I do believe Robson will eventually be brought through in the hooker rotation role but until then Nicholls may just be the best option for that position.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Frizell had this to say regarding Thompson's departure.

He said that Thompson's departure would provide an opportunity for 21 year old Luciano Leilua, who is considered the most skillful player at the club.

It is a massive blow for us (to lose Thompson), He is good for the boys and good for the team, Frizell said.

But we've got guys like Luce (Leilua) coming through and as hard as it was to see Thomo go, we do have others there who are willing to put their hand up and take the opportunity.

Anyone who wants to read the whole article can google The damning statistics the St George Illawarra Dragons are aiming to avoid.

kit66

Bench

I'd say this is the view of most NRL coaches given that 6 of your 8 interchanges will likely be for your props and lock.

BennyV

Referee
We purchased Nicholls as a backup half so unless Widdop and/or Hunt are unavailable, he occupies a spot in our 30 for no reason. I was of the understanding that in the past he has played hooker and so his inclusion would back up the halves and provide a hooker rotation opportunity at the same time. I do believe Robson will eventually be brought through in the hooker rotation role but until then Nicholls may just be the best option for that position.
You do know what 'back up' means, yes?

BennyV

Referee
I'm assuming you'e got Nicholls there as some sort of hooker backup. If you were going to go that way, wouldn't a bloke who actually plays hooker, has played against NZ and Australia in a world cup and has a far, far bigger future be a better bet than a lifetime reserve grader?
Assuming you're referring to Lovodua - he is part of the development squad and therefore can't play NRL this year.

Dragsters

First Grade
Vaughan
McInnes
Graham
Frizell
Host
De Belin

Ah Mau
Sims
Leilua
Nicholls

I agree, provided Mann starts at right centre in place of Aitken, but with marys track record, this scenario is unlikely if Aitken is fit.

In that case I would have Mann replace Nicholls on the bench until Robson is ready.

In some matches though, I also think that last season taught us that 4 forwards on the bench is needed, depending on the strength of the opposition pack. In this case, Latimore, Allgood or Sele based on form would be my choice...

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons young gun Luciano Leilua losing 10 kilos for 2018 NRL season kick-off
Dragons
  • March 3, 2018 2:59pm
  • Source: AAP
MzMyMDE4NHxjeG8uYXxodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS8yODNiOGVlOWExOWMxNzNmZjMxZDkwYmFhOTAwNTNjN3wzMzIwMTg0

Luciano Leilua offloads has lost weight since this Dragons appearance.Source: News Corp Australia
LUCIANO Leilua has revealed he hopes to return to St George Illawarra’s NRL side next week more than 10 kilograms lighter than when he was last sighted in first grade.
Leilua is set to be the biggest beneficiary of Joel Thompson’s off-season move to Manly, set to earn a recall into Paul McGregor’s side for the NRL season-opener against Brisbane.

The 21-year-old second-rower hasn’t been sighted in the NRL since his 2016 rookie year, when he was tipping the scales at about 124kg.

MzMyMDE4NHxjeG8uYXxodHRwczovL3d3dy5mb3hzcG9ydHMuY29tLmF1L3BtZC9pbWFnZXMvMjAxOC8wMy8wMi82NjczOTdfNjQweDM2MF9sYXJnZV8yMDE4MDMwMjE2MTY0Mi5qcGd8MzMyMDE4NA==

Ben excited to face Broncos

But after starting this summer’s pre-season at 120kg, Leilua is now down to his professional best of 113 after an off-season spent ditching the carbohydrates and eating sizeably smaller meal portions.

“I feel heaps better,” Leilua told AAP.

“I’ve always been heavy going through high school growing up. Knowing now that I’m more mature, lose weight and stay on my diet.

“It’s improved my training heaps. My running times have been better.

“Everyone is going to feel good if they lose weight. But this is probably the best pre-season I’ve had of my three.”

Leilua, who is the brother of Canberra centre Joseph, was named Illawarra’s best player in reserve grade last year and was rewarded with a two-year contract extension in December.

MzMyMDE4NHxjeG8uYXxodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS83MWU3NzkwY2UwNTNiNDQxMDM4MTRmNTIwYjRkOWNjY3wzMzIwMTg0

Luciano Leilua (centre) running at pre-season training.Source: News Corp Australia
A promising St George junior, Leilua started in both of the Dragons’ pre-season trials and has been vying for the left-edge second-row spot along with Tariq Sims and bench prospect Jacob Host.

Leilua’s pre-season has impressed many at the Dragons — including coach McGregor — and the youngster said much of that was down to his own development in NSW Cup last season.

“It was tough playing against men — just physical,” he said.

“It’s got a little bit quicker. But most of all it’s getting used to week in, week out playing against men. It just toughens you up.

“Growing up I was a big boy, but stepping into NSW Cup everyone is big. It’s hard to shove them off or palm them off because everyone is strong and fit.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...f/news-story/5d7b19394e28c7ad8040140929cc0141

Life's Good

Coach
I’m convinced of his talent but he wasn’t convincing at all during the trials.
Whether it was fitness or just adjusting to the speed of the game I’m hoping it’s not long until we see him at his best. I’d be inclined to risk him off the bench in the hope he fires. If not, back to ISP to build his confidence.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I’m convinced of his talent but he wasn’t convincing at all during the trials.
Whether it was fitness or just adjusting to the speed of the game I’m hoping it’s not long until we see him at his best. I’d be inclined to risk him off the bench in the hope he fires. If not, back to ISP to build his confidence.
Leilua may derive a bit of match fitness from the first 2 trials. Add to that, Gasnier said that Mary had been flogging them at training and said that they would not be as sharp as they will be by round one. I haven't written Lucky off just yet.

Life's Good

Coach
Leilua may derive a bit of match fitness from the first 2 trials. Add to that, Gasnier said that Mary had been flogging them at training and said that they would not be as sharp as they will be by round one. I haven't written Lucky off just yet.
Definitely not writing him off. Assuming he is selected I hope he kills it because there is a good footy player in there. By the same token if he doesn’t fire then he needs to find form in ISP, there shouldn’t be any free rides based on potential when we have good depth in the back row.
I’m just coming from the point of view that we need a more ruthless selection policy to foster a greater level of responsibility around performance.