What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano Leilua

SBD82

Coach
More the extra workload on him. It works brilliantly when we are on a role or on the front foot in an attacking set but I worry how it will go when we are trying to wrestle back momentum, especially considering that when he is on, JDB, Vaughan and Graham are all off.

I'd much prefer him starting in the outside backs.
Definitely could be an issue. I think one that can be somewhat nullified by a good coach who reads the game well and doesn't just rotate him in on a strict time schedule.

What faith we should have in the coach is another matter. I might start a thread about him.

Don't get me started on Latimore, yes his being going ok but he has been supported by a serious pack of forwards, to which many believe there is no need to give Host/ (Sele in particular, who was on a different level when given more game time against the Titans) ran with vigour & just looked to be more energetic than old Plodder.
There I said it.. I wait the tongue lash from the conservatives………..

Latimore is a plodder

possm

Coach
Definitely could be an issue. I think one that can be somewhat nullified by a good coach who reads the game well and doesn't just rotate him in on a strict time schedule.

What faith we should have in the coach is another matter. I might start a thread about him.

Communication is the key. A sit down with the coaching staff helps to enure confidence remains high and a knowledge of the road ahead.

Old Timer

Coach
At the risk of being on the receiving end of one of your tirades OT, I think Mann has been used very well this year, and I wouldn't describe his role as a cameo.

@The Damo might be able to help me out with the numbers, but he seems to be playing a fairly extended role at the moment in the middle. Not dissimilar to what the QLD side have been doing over the years with Morgan, and before that Cronk, at 14.

He'd have been in my starting 13 at the start of the year, now I think he is adding a point of difference to our team that no other player in the squad could.
I am an unabashed Mann fan and have been from the very start.
I also posted very early on this season that I thought him coming on at lock provided a lot of extra variety and a real point of difference in attack however many tried to howl me down and said it was stupid to even contemplate.
Amazing how some change their opinion quickly and forget what they thought earlier on.
I would have Mann in my starting side either at Lafai's or Nighty's expense however that not being the current situation I can accept his current role but have some reservations how well that will go against the big guns in the comp.
JDB and the props off, Mann to lock, Host to back row LAM on with Sims to go to front row and after a while Sims is rested for Latimore and after a rest Sims replaces Host.
I would love to see young Host getting 25 - 30 minutes at a time of importance in the game as I truly believe he will blossom.
Mann is now getting more minutes which is good however i refer to it as a cameo because I believe he is a walk up start and 80 minute player.

SBD82

Coach
I am an unabashed Mann fan and have been from the very start.
I also posted very early on this season that I thought him coming on at lock provided a lot of extra variety and a real point of difference in attack however many tried to howl me down and said it was stupid to even contemplate.
Amazing how some change their opinion quickly and forget what they thought earlier on.
I would have Mann in my starting side either at Lafai's or Nighty's expense however that not being the current situation I can accept his current role but have some reservations how well that will go against the big guns in the comp.
JDB and the props off, Mann to lock, Host to back row LAM on with Sims to go to front row and after a while Sims is rested for Latimore and after a rest Sims replaces Host.
I would love to see young Host getting 25 - 30 minutes at a time of importance in the game as I truly believe he will blossom.
Mann is now getting more minutes which is good however i refer to it as a cameo because I believe he is a walk up start and 80 minute player.
Did I howl you down OT? I genuinely can't remember. If I did, my apologies, I was wrong.

I'm a big fan of Mann's too. Thought he was treated pretty harshly when he was dropped from fullback after only a couple of games, and I haven't been able to understand why he has had such limited gametime the last couple of years.

I guess that, more than anything, it's nice to see him playing and making a meaningful contribution to the team. Hopefully he can continue to do so, wherever he ends up. Seems a good footy player, and a decent young man.

The Damo

Juniors
At the risk of being on the receiving end of one of your tirades OT, I think Mann has been used very well this year, and I wouldn't describe his role as a cameo.

@The Damo might be able to help me out with the numbers, but he seems to be playing a fairly extended role at the moment in the middle. Not dissimilar to what the QLD side have been doing over the years with Morgan, and before that Cronk, at 14.

He'd have been in my starting 13 at the start of the year, now I think he is adding a point of difference to our team that no other player in the squad could.
Last 4 rounds he’s played 19, 16, 36, 22 minutes. 2 of those were straight swaps with JDB. Seems like there was flexibility built into to subs depending on how things are happening. This seems to be true across the forwards actually.
Vaughan has played as low as 40, up to 69. Only that one game vs Sharks was it higher than 56. 4 games under 50.
Graham from 34 up to 61. 6 games have been 50 or less
Jack from 52 to 64
Ah Mau from 30 to 40
Latimore from 21 to 32
Frizz from 54 to 80 (3 full games)
Sims from 56 to 80 (5 full games)

Hopefully this indicates both flexibility in game and a plan for spreading the workload. Might just be random brainstorms from the coach though. Interesting though, I think.

Old Timer

Coach
Did I howl you down OT? I genuinely can't remember. If I did, my apologies, I was wrong.

I'm a big fan of Mann's too. Thought he was treated pretty harshly when he was dropped from fullback after only a couple of games, and I haven't been able to understand why he has had such limited gametime the last couple of years.

I guess that, more than anything, it's nice to see him playing and making a meaningful contribution to the team. Hopefully he can continue to do so, wherever he ends up. Seems a good footy player, and a decent young man.
No you didn't so no problems no apologies necessary.
We are between a rock and a hard place with Mann in that we want him to have more game time but that actually changes the game plan re the bench rotation and the playing time allocated to others.
Should be in the run on 13 and that it is one of my issues with the coach.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
Last 4 rounds he’s played 19, 16, 36, 22 minutes. 2 of those were straight swaps with JDB. Seems like there was flexibility built into to subs depending on how things are happening. This seems to be true across the forwards actually.
Vaughan has played as low as 40, up to 69. Only that one game vs Sharks was it higher than 56. 4 games under 50.
Graham from 34 up to 61. 6 games have been 50 or less
Jack from 52 to 64
Ah Mau from 30 to 40
Latimore from 21 to 32
Frizz from 54 to 80 (3 full games)
Sims from 56 to 80 (5 full games)

Hopefully this indicates both flexibility in game and a plan for spreading the workload. Might just be random brainstorms from the coach though. Interesting though, I think.
Interesting numbers for sure.

Whether or not I agree with McGregor's bench usage, it's good to see that he isn't sticking to a preconceived plan and is at least attempting strategy.

Crush

Coach
We are between a rock and a hard place with Mann in that we want him to have more game time but that actually changes the game plan re the bench rotation and the playing time allocated to others.
Should be in the run on 13 and that it one of my issue with the coach.
I don't think apologies are necessary if one howls one down and it turns out they were wrong, it's just a forum where people are giving their opinions.
For example I don't expect an apology from you for the howling down you gave me a year or so ago when I claimed Dugan was injury prone. I mean you thought he wasn't injury prone, that was your opinion.Turns out he is injury prone and I was spot on correct but thats ok no apologies necessary. ;)

ALSGI

Bench
I don't think apologies are necessary if one howls one down and it turns out they were wrong, it's just a forum where people are giving their opinions.
For example I don't expect an apology from you for the howling down you gave me a year or so ago when I claimed Dugan was injury prone. I mean you thought he wasn't injury prone, that was your opinion.Turns out he is injury prone and I was spot on correct but thats ok no apologies necessary. ;)
FMD, Duges injury prone? Next you’re going to suggest Ben Hunt is better than McCrone.

avocado

Juniors
Should be in the run on 13 and that it one of my issue with the coach.
I said a few pages back or maybe a different thread, that Mann is a perfect 14 this year. And he is.
However I would prefer he was a starter. I would actually prefer him over either of our centres.
Has been royally f****d around by Mary.

Latest posts