What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Lewis to retire.. hats off..

typicalfan

Coach
Most likeable player out of those who didn’t play for a team I support. Aside from NSW of course. Personally I thought he was one of the best blues during that Qld dominant era. Always great either from the bench or starting.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I personally was a bit underwhelmed with him when he first burst onto the scene- scored a heap of tries (as wingers in good sides tend to) but didn't really stand out in terms of the speed, evasiveness etc you would expect from an elite winger. Just seemed like a good, solid, mature footballer.

I note that after being all the rage in 2003-2004 he was basically out of rep considerations for about 5 years until he moved into the forwards.

Who decided to move him into the forwards? Was a bit of a masterstroke imo, all of a sudden a solid but unspectacular back becomes a skilful and pacey forward. He obviously always had the toughness.

First Grade
My favourite player of all time.

I love him so much that now he’s retiring I will genuinely lose an amount of enthusiasm for the game.

Such a good player. A players player. Does things on the field most don’t notice. Runs the toughest lines, hits like a train in defence; has never been accused of being a grub.

Achieved everything in the game and kicked cancers arse along the way. In the era of grubs like Smith, Slater, Gallen etc he was a shining light.

There is footage of me pushing an old man out of the way to shake his hand at the GF post match function in 2016.
Pretty sure Pongas Head accused his shoulder of being a late Grub :)

I personally was a bit underwhelmed with him when he first burst onto the scene- scored a heap of tries (as wingers in good sides tend to) but didn't really stand out in terms of the speed, evasiveness etc you would expect from an elite winger. Just seemed like a good, solid, mature footballer.

I note that after being all the rage in 2003-2004 he was basically out of rep considerations for about 5 years until he moved into the forwards.

Who decided to move him into the forwards? Was a bit of a masterstroke imo, all of a sudden a solid but unspectacular back becomes a skilful and pacey forward. He obviously always had the toughness.

Matt Elliott made that switch I think. Elliott had him playing all over the place from halfback to second row. He showed some good utility value during that period.

When I think Luke Lewis, I always think Luke Rooney (who was the better winger) directly after that.

Lewis has been a good player for a long time, but I agree with calls to keep him out of the com box. When asked what "culture" in RL meant to him he said "culture is like when you see a team walking through the airport, and they've all got the same polo shirt on."....What a Penrith pearl of wisdom.

nick87

Coach
Probably my all time favourite non raiders player
What a player. Rep quaility footballer across about 5 positions

Combined supreme talent with unmatched work ethic.

He had one game in 2008 under Elliott in the back row, yet Elliott persisted with him in the halves the rest of the year. Elliott didn't know what to do with him and I think around that time mid 2008 he felt unwanted and took up the offer from Souths. Tim Sheens picked him for city Origin later in 2008 in the 2nd row and from memory he impressed. Not soon after that he changed his mind and back flipped on the Souths deal.
He spent the off season bulking up and made the transition early 2009 to the back row.

Elliot had a hand in him moving to the backrow but I would credit Tim Sheens for planting the seed.

gUt

Coach
I like him for his sex appeal.

0bcf71a2e55012f75a2306b6aadf82130d98fb0b

King hit

Coach
One of my favourite players. Never have gone for the clubs he played for but i always enjoyed watching him play. Always has been a likeable and clean player who was respected by everyone. Congrats on a great career Luke.

Latest posts