What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*Lyall Gorman Gone??

CEO

Juniors
SHARKS BOSS TO FLY TO MANLY?
CRONULLA boss Lyall Gorman has emerged as the frontrunner for the vacant Manly chief executive position.

Gorman looks to have beaten a shortlist of applicants that include former Manly forward Tony Mestrov and AFL club Essendon’s chief marketing officer Justin Rodski after another potential candidate, World Cup boss Andrew Hill, joined the Bulldogs.

It is understood Gorman and Manly owner Scott Penn share a close relationship.

Penn has been having a more hands-on role with the club following the short-lived and tumultuous stint of Tim Cleary, who quit in May. It is understood Manly will make the announcement once the NRL finishes its salary cap investigation.

Gorman was part of Cronulla’s breakthrough premiership win last year after joining the club in 2014. Previously he worked at A-League clubs Western Sydney Wanderers and Central Coast Mariners.

Will it happen?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Hopefully not but realistically Lyall wasn't going to stick around forever.Having a strong relationship with Penn and the fact he lives in that neck of the woods must make it an attractive option. If he does move on ....will always be grateful for the way he made a faarrkken basket case seem professional while still dealing with the Carney and Asada hangover as well as fifi's trials and tribulations along the way. Mission accomplished at the Sharks by the sound of it.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I dont want us to go backwards again
Would like to think he's assembled a front office that is capable of maintaining his high standards. Shits me a bit that faarrkken Manly will be the next to benefit from his presence but if you'd have told me when he started that he'd play a significant part in helping us to our first premiership within his first 2 years with us I wouldn't have believed it.

Quigs

Immortal
The big IF if Lyalls goes - time will tell.

But if he travels over to the dark side and if and it is a BIG IF.... if he goes to the Hartleys and eventually / finally some shit was to hit the fan OVER THE YEARS DANKS SPENT at the Hartleys well Lyall will have already had a grounding on the matter.

snout

First Grade
Maybe he sees some writing on the wall.

Hes the smartest guy at the club. If he cant nobody can.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Maybe the Hartley's are chasing Lyall big time as still salary cap issues floating around them, they know he is most equipped to handle NRL & media

shadowboxer

First Grade
I dont want us to go backwards again
He was very going to be here forever - probally wants a new challenge. Can't blame him really. In terms of going backwards, possibility but I think the bigger picture is the game itself going backwards - love the game but how many do - the AFL have it all over league at the moment.
Maybe I'm just going all Danny glover on it

Two issues for me,

1. If its true, I repeat the point 2012 made regarding succession planning "Would like to think he's assembled a front office that is capable of maintaining his high standards."

2. Given the dominance of Bozo Fulton as a power broker and fat controller at Manly over decades, I would doubt whether he'd really be interested in dealing with that kind of crap. But with all this talk about supposive challenges, maybe that's a challenge that appeals to him ?

Generalzod

Immortal
Hopefully not but realistically Lyall wasn't going to stick around forever.Having a strong relationship with Penn and the fact he lives in that neck of the woods must make it an attractive option. If he does move on ....will always be grateful for the way he made a faarrkken basket case seem professional while still dealing with the Carney and Asada hangover as well as fifi's trials and tribulations along the way. Mission accomplished at the Sharks by the sound of it.
Exactly he is a business man all he has touched has turn to gold, He setup a successfull A League team, he got our basket case of a club from near bankruptcy to winning the premiership, I just hope he doesn't go to Manly.

Last edited:

Omnishark2

Juniors
Penn is an absolute piece of work from all accounts ...
So if Lyall does go to the dark side ... I hope his eyes are open that it will all end in tears at some point

RUBIKS

Juniors
The fact that he lives in Manly means he's a gonner in my mind.

Why wouldn't you rather the same job 2 minutes down the road instead of an hour 15...

I don't put much credence in the "challenge" rubbish. He's going where the money is.

The fact that the Shire A league has died out of his conversations also supports this.