What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon the dragons heart

Biglance

Bench
Lyon on offer to Saints
By James Hooper
August 14, 2004

RUNAWAY Parramatta centre Jamie Lyon is being shopped around to rival NRL clubs at an asking price of $300,000 a season with both St George Illawarra and Canberra approached to sign the former Test star.

Lyon has rotated through three managers five times in the course of the past month with his uncle and former Penrith player Mick Smith currently looking after his affairs.

Smith is understood to have sounded out Dragons coach Nathan Brown along with officials in Canberra about Lyon joining their organisations in 2005.

St George Illawarra are yet to officially approach Parramatta about the potential switch, which would come with a $150,000 release fee to be paid to the Eels, while the Raiders have been in contact with Denis Fitzgerald.

The amount of money Lyon is seeking combined with the release fee from Parramatta would mean his next club has to pay about $750,000 to get him on a two-year deal.

Canberra were understood to be interested when contacted by Smith a fortnight ago but have heard nothing since and are far from confident about luring Lyon.

Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce has also confirmed the joint venture has registered interest in the one-time NSW Origin flyer, who is now playing in the Group 4 country rugby league competition with Wee Waa.

"I rang Parramatta and Denis Fitzgerald told me he was happy for us to talk to him but he's swapped managers a couple of times so he's been hard to get hold of," Noyce said.

"I don't think at this stage there will be anything happening."

Parramatta chief executive Fitzgerald also granted Penrith permission to talk with Lyon but has so far refused Manly the same privilege.

Sea Eagles executive director Paul Cummings contacted Fitzgerald over the matter last week but was told the northern peninsula club would not be allowed to open talks.

Lyon has changed managers on numerous occasions over the past month swapping from Allan Gainey to his uncle Smith, then to Wayne Beavis, back to Gainey and back to Smith again.

He was with Beavis for only three days.

Under the terms of his contract with Parramatta, Lyon has to give Gainey, his manager at the time he signed the deal, 6.5 per cent of any earnings he makes until the contract ends in October 2006.

This means Gainey is entitled to seek a portion of Lyon's earnings should he switch clubs even though he is no longer his manager.

Lyon walked out on Parramatta after just one game this season citing homesickness but a letter signed by him began to circulate shortly after claiming he left because he wasn't enjoying his football.

He returned to the Eels after a month to visit some teammates where half a dozen senior players from Parramatta asked him to explain what was going on in his head.

It is understood the players asked Lyon to look them in the eye and tell them his leaving Parramatta had nothing to do with coach Brian Smith.

would be nice and could be a dillemma

gregstar

Referee
It would be good to cover injury prone centres, but I don't like signing players with attitude problems! What would stop him chucking a wobbly if things don't go his way with us?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I can't see Lyon fitting into the side without compromising the position of either Gasnier or Cooper. He's not big enough for a Lock/Second Rower, we've got Barrett at five-eight, and I doubt he'd come to the club to play wing; well at least without a lot of money as incentive.

Great player, young player, but not a needed player. If Gasnier or Cooper are injured, you've got Naiquama waiting in the wings and with all due respect to Lyon I'd rather further our own juniors than him. It'll cost us less as well.

Dragons Cross

Juniors
How the hell they think that we can fit Lyon under the salary cap I'll never know. FFS we haven't even re-signed John Carlaw yet!

Davester

Juniors
2GB's continuous call team think there's no chance of the dragons being in the run for Lyon. Even with Blacklock going to Hull, with Mark Gasnier still around there's no chance of fitting him under the cap. According to magpiemax (fellow supporter/ source provider) thinks that about I dunno..20 mins ago a deal between Tigers and Lyon was cut off...and that he's going to the ESL... :? I find that hard to believe. Wouldn't matter much for you guys, you's got Gasnier and Cooper. No need for Lyon...as for us Tigers fans, it would of been a nice boost to have a calibre player like Lyon in the Tigers club. Hopefully magpiemax is wrong...

Anyways good luck to you guys in tonight's game, don't think you need it anyway against the Warriors ;-)

Cheers!

gregstar

Referee
I also think it would be really good for a club like the Tigers to get him - Have the roosters been ruled out yet?!!!

T

Juniors
he's apparantly off to england which is more congested than sydney with the city life #-o
looks like there is sumthing else to his story than he's letting on

RICHO

Juniors
Has Lyon really lived up to all the hype surrounding him?

Everyone is talking like he's the world's best centre. I never thought he was THAT good.

Wobbygong

First Grade
I can understand him preferring to go to a club like the Dragons over Wests or Canberra.

Unlikely though, he'll more than likely end up in the UK. It would be unfair for you guys to have Gasnier, Cooper AND Lyon.

Then again you guys have released alot of money under your cap and only signed two mid range players with Blacklock, Howells, Firman, Kite and Riddell leaving that would be at least 700k.

Nugby

Juniors
hehe, I laughed when an illawarra news item described Michael Howell as a good player who will be sorely missed. I would like to see Lyon play for the tigers though, with all the players they'll have let go at the end of the season.

alive103

Juniors
gregstar said:
I also think it would be really good for a club like the Tigers to get him - Have the roosters been ruled out yet?!!!

Apparently the Roosters have created a landfill and planted some trees to make Bondi a bit more rural like for Jamie.