What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mackay Cutters unveil logo

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
http://qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=3454

Mackay Cuts Fine Image

mackayc.gif

Michael Hillier

QUESTION: What do you get when you put a miner’s helmet, cane knife and the maroon and blue colours together? ANSWER: A logo that represents the people of Mackay and their fledgling rugby league team.

The Mackay Cutters, who are on target to make their Queensland Wizard Cup debut in season 2008, this week unveiled their striking new logo (pictured above).

In a unique promotion led by the local newspaper The Daily Mercury, the Cutters invited the people of north Queensland to submit their logo designs.

After sifting through more than 50 entries, including some that arrived from the unlikely destinations of Germany and Canada, the Cutters management team selected the design created by Townsville man Ashley Hanson.

“That stood out from the crowd for us,” Cutters Operations Manager Jamie McDonald revealed.

For his efforts, Hanson receives an LCD television and tickets to the Cutters’ matches.

McDonald, a former Cowboys forward who will also lace on the boots for the Wizard Cup team, was rapt with the number of entries and the excitement the competition generated.

“They’ve put a lot of time and effort in,” he said.

“We were pretty happy with the response. Rugby league is like a religion in north Queensland. Everyone is pretty keen to get on board and support us.”

The support will rise to a new level if Mackay can begin the season with a couple of early wins.

The man in charge of leading the Cutters in their inaugural season is Shane Muspratt.

Muspratt is taking on the demanding role of player/coach – a rarity in the Queensland Wizard Cup these days.

However, Mackay CEO Greg Sutherland is backing the former Cowboys playmaker to deliver.

“He’s got good support because his assistant coach is Don Saunders and he’s played a lot of footy at State League level,” Sutherland said.

Saunders led Toowoomba to the premiership in the inaugural Queensland Cup in 1996. He is currently running Mackay State High School’s impressive rugby league academy.

A host of quality players from the Mackay district are already on the Cutters’ books.

The young players will look for on-field direction from the likes of Muspratt, McDonald and former Queensland Maroons utility John Doyle.

Doyle is currently in the process of moving from Townsville to Mackay.

McDonald said potential match-winner Doyle would be “looked after” on the training paddock in a bid to maximise his game time.

Doyle’s career has been plagued by injury but the Cutters are delighted to have him on board.

Other notable signings for the Cutters include former Bulldogs five-eighth Luke Young and Roosters forward Adam Schubert.

November 2 - 2007

Looks awesome I reckon, along with the new stadium things are really looking up for Mackay.

It's a bit 'busy'... and why would a cane cutter be wearing a mining helmet?

Though what would I know -- I originally thought it was "cutters" as in the type of ship... :lol:

beave

Coach
there are plenty of miners down there but i thought the same, i don't know why you put it on a cane cutters themed logo. Still better than the northern pride though, that name is probably the $hittest name for a sporting team i have ever heard.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
beave said:
there are plenty of miners down there but i thought the same, i don't know why you put it on a cane cutters themed logo. Still better than the northern pride though, that name is probably the $hittest name for a sporting team i have ever heard.
Things aren't going to get much better, a proposed name for the North QLD A-League side is the Northern Thunder...

Spitty

Juniors
I think it looks great.

Obviously the cane cutter also has a part time job as a miner. Now thats working class.

Titanic

First Grade
A long way better than Northern Pride or Northern Thunder - perhaps the miner is in recognition of the contribution that Mouranbah and Saraji mining areas have made to Mackay Rugby League. Travis Norton and the Hannay brothers for example. Missing a link with the Reef though imo - Prosperpine and the Whitsundays - perhaps should be wearing sunglasses ... lol.

TdoggBulldog

Juniors
fair effort for a mackay job

anyone else on here from mackay?

cutters brought luke young (ex bulldogs and penrith jnr player)

Goey Man

Juniors
Does anyone know if ABC2 are putting on the Saturday televised game on Thursday Night again in NSW/ACT as they were last year? I was getting quite fond of watching the games last year.

Redsfan

Juniors
that name is probably the $hittest name for a sporting team i have ever heard.

You are obviously one of the millions who didn't know about the ARC.

Perth Spirit
Sydney Fleet
](*,)

beave

Coach
no no, they are bad, but IMO Northern Pride still takes the cake............