What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge

Vote for next coach after Madge - possibles.

• Tooves

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Cartwright

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Furner

• Dean Pay

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Another Assistant coach from top tier club

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Taylor (Rip)- New South Wales cup best coach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Madge with a fair pay cut.

• Gardiner (bears)- going ok with so so side

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bradford ( super league)- uber coach

• None of the above, I will nominate my own schmukles.

• Total voters

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
It does suit because it's highly structured & a shock to the style of RL over there which is trying its darndest to play the game the way it was meant to be!!
I suppose though that the main aim these days is to win no matter the cost--stuff what happens to what should be a free-flowing & very watchable sport.
We badly need coaches who make the game better & NOT set out to ruin it!!

It depends on the style of play in which you prefer. I played structured footy and I enjoyed it. Having low scoring, close games is much more exciting then scores being like 40-20. Otherwise the game just turns into AFL. Which is a sport I can't stand to watch. Defence is something a team should pride itself on.

Attack is something that comes along. If you don't get your defence right then youre never going to be a good side.

southsport

First Grade
I think you're right with the karma!

It will be interesting to see if any NRL clubs at all make a play for Madge.

Maybe his over-structured,mundane style has worn pretty thin!!

doyen, some people say that Madge won Souths a comp but maybe Souths got Madge a comp?.........just a thought.

southsport

First Grade
oi SOUTHSPORT great avatar mate;)...Shadow...
42116.jpg

Lol, just for you shadow, I thought you'd like it!

doyen

Bench
doyen, some people say that Madge won Souths a comp but maybe Souths got Madge a comp?.........just a thought.

And a good thought----he had a dream team to coach.

And I think if one keeps doing the same thing over & over & over as Madge seemed to do,IMO, the rest of the RL world learns to read him like a good book.
Everybody knew what Sths were up too; except for Cody WALKER who was determined to do his thing despite Madge.
I hope Cody hasn't been pissed off enough to vacate the warren as he is a breath of fresh air in our side!

doyen

Bench
It depends on the style of play in which you prefer. I played structured footy and I enjoyed it. Having low scoring, close games is much more exciting then scores being like 40-20. Otherwise the game just turns into AFL. Which is a sport I can't stand to watch. Defence is something a team should pride itself on.

Attack is something that comes along. If you don't get your defence right then youre never going to be a good side.

Structure in defence is vital of course--if the opposition never scores you can't lose.
But who really gets great enjoyment out of watching their team defend! Structure in defence;good,good,great!!!

It's what happened in attack at Sths which was the big concern.

If a team's defence is rock solid it can be as flamboyant & ad-lib as it likes!! This is what we want. A bit more balance,more flair[much more flair].
Our defence record was poor & our offence worse so what hope did we really have in 2017!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Structure in defence is vital of course--if the opposition never scores you can't lose.
But who really gets great enjoyment out of watching their team defend! Structure in defence;good,good,great!!!

It's what happened in attack at Sths which was the big concern.

If a team's defence is rock solid it can be as flamboyant & ad-lib as it likes!! This is what we want. A bit more balance,more flair[much more flair].
Our defence record was poor & our offence worse so what hope did we really have in 2017!

You're completely right but I stand by the fact that defence is an attitude. I felt we really lacked a good attitude in defence this year. Especially through the middle. I've never seen our middle defence so weak. The Burgess twins need to take a long hard look at themselves. Everyone is constantly covering their asses in defence.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Cook also needs to work on his defence during the pre season. I'd suggest having the twins run at him constantly during the pre season.

Just train cook like the QLD'ers trained for Fifita.

Pommy

Coach
You're completely right but I stand by the fact that defence is an attitude. I felt we really lacked a good attitude in defence this year. Especially through the middle. I've never seen our middle defence so weak. The Burgess twins need to take a long hard look at themselves. Everyone is constantly covering their asses in defence.

I think towards the end tom was pretty solid. Not worth the money he is on but he wasn't in bad form.
George has been awful since the grand final.

Maybe I kind of expect Castleford to do a Leicester and fall away next year.
Who knows with the sport expanding to North America in a few years it could be the best Australians going to play in the SL rather than the opposite.
I think you're right with the karma!

It will be interesting to see if any NRL clubs at all make a play for Madge.

Maybe his over-structured,mundane style has worn pretty thin!!
im sure there are a few boards hat would put up with over-strutched and mundane Style of play if they get a premiership from it just like we did ;)

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think towards the end tom was pretty solid. Not worth the money he is on but he wasn't in bad form.
George has been awful since the grand final.

I agree. George was good in 2015 though. He was still among the top props but since then he's gone on a massive slide. I don't know if resigning George is even a good idea unless he gets peanuts. I'd probably resign tom though.

Pommy

Coach
I agree. George was good in 2015 though. He was still among the top props but since then he's gone on a massive slide. I don't know if resigning George is even a good idea unless he gets peanuts. I'd probably resign tom though.

I think George needs a change to save his career. Tom I would resign just on a more realistic contract.
People try to say we can't upset the family but I just don't believe thats the case. They all played for different teams in the UK. Luke has gone already, Sam was happy to leave the code and all his family in the wrong hemisphere.
I think they must know Souths can't be expected to keep them all together, as long as it is all handled in a professional manner I don't see an issue.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think George needs a change to save his career. Tom I would resign just on a more realistic contract.
People try to say we can't upset the family but I just don't believe thats the case. They all played for different teams in the UK. Luke has gone already, Sam was happy to leave the code and all his family in the wrong hemisphere.
I think they must know Souths can't be expected to keep them all together, as long as it is all handled in a professional manner I don't see an issue.

Exactly. They're big boys of course they'll be disappointed but eventually they'll see that it was best for both parties. Even though Sam blindly defends them on tv there must be some frustration for him having to cover their asses all the time.

Pommy

Coach
Exactly. They're big boys of course they'll be disappointed but eventually they'll see that it was best for both parties. Even though Sam blindly defends them on tv there must be some frustration for him having to cover their asses all the time.

But that's just what team mates do never mind brothers.
No player is going to bag his team mates or coach etc. not unless they are a total half wit.
It's like when people kept saying interviews of players backing Madge were evidence they were happy with him. What else could they say?

doyen

Bench

I would like to see the twins retained. They are young,they are big--& at their best they are very good!!

George has had a fair bit to contend with for a young bloke this year ie.overcoming a fairly bad injury,becoming a father for the first time--all distractions to his performance.This should all be behind him now. We all witnessed what he is capable of in 2014--a keeper,IMO!
Forwards tend to get better with age. I'd like to see how Tom & George go with a different coach too!
Madge favoured a head down & arse up approach--maybe Seibold will be more encouraging & bring out skills in the twins that were suppressed under Madge!
I'd definitely like to see Sam & the twins in a prop rotation with Sam setting the example as a true enforcer! These 3 are potentially our best props--a top RL family affair--working together in the engine-room!

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I would like to see the twins retained. They are young,they are big--& at their best they are very good!!

George has had a fair bit to contend with for a young bloke this year ie.overcoming a fairly bad injury,becoming a father for the first time--all distractions to his performance.This should all be behind him now. We all witnessed what he is capable of in 2014--a keeper,IMO!
Forwards tend to get better with age. I'd like to see how Tom & George go with a different coach too!
Madge favoured a head down & arse up approach--maybe Seibold will be more encouraging & bring out skills in the twins that were suppressed under Madge!
I'd definitely like to see Sam & the twins in a prop rotation with Sam setting the example as a true enforcer! These 3 are potentially our best props--a top RL family affair--working together in the engine-room!

You're probably right doyen but would you keep them on the money their on? It's a big chunk out of the cap.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
But that's just what team mates do never mind brothers.
No player is going to bag his team mates or coach etc. not unless they are a total half wit.
It's like when people kept saying interviews of players backing Madge were evidence they were happy with him. What else could they say?
Yeah I see your point.

I have no problem with keeping the twins as long as they are paid in line with how they perform. From what I understand, both are receiving wages based on 2014 form and neither are worth that sort of money at the moment. I would be giving them twelve more months to find form again or they take a pay cut. If they don't take less money then send them packing.

It's one thing to say that they are young and have plenty of potential. It's another to say that they have played much better in the past and can't find that form again.

Regarding Madge... I think his sacking is the greatest mistake we have made as a club since our reinstatement.

He has shown that if you give him the cattle then he can deliver a premiership. We certainly haven't given him the cattle over the last couple of years.

All this talk of him flogging players too hard is garbage. Craig Bellamy flogs his players harder than anyone and no one hears the Storm complain. In fact... If any Storm player complains they're packed up and shifted on. That's because hard work is ingrained into the culture of that club and that is how it should be.

Madge has all the qualities of a great coach and once you find someone like that you should hang on to them and then move heaven and earth to give them all the tools necessary for success.

I reckon the club will be realising the massive error they've made by about half way through next year.

I just hope that Madge doesn't end up at one of the scum clubs in the comp because he will deliver them a premiership in short order.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I have no problem with keeping the twins as long as they are paid in line with how they perform. From what I understand, both are receiving wages based on 2014 form and neither are worth that sort of money at the moment. I would be giving them twelve more months to find form again or they take a pay cut. If they don't take less money then send them packing.

It's one thing to say that they are young and have plenty of potential. It's another to say that they have played much better in the past and can't find that form again.

Regarding Madge... I think his sacking is the greatest mistake we have made as a club since our reinstatement.

He has shown that if you give him the cattle then he can deliver a premiership. We certainly haven't given him the cattle over the last couple of years.

All this talk of him flogging players too hard is garbage. Craig Bellamy flogs his players harder than anyone and no one hears the Storm complain. In fact... If any Storm player complains they're packed up and shifted on. That's because hard work is ingrained into the culture of that club and that is how it should be.

Madge has all the qualities of a great coach and once you find someone like that you should hang on to them and then move heaven and earth to give them all the tools necessary for success.

I reckon the club will be realising the massive error they've made by about half way through next year.

I just hope that Madge doesn't end up at one of the scum clubs in the comp because he will deliver them a premiership in short order.

Best post I've seen on here in a long while. Great stuff mate.

Apparently the Burgess twins were a hot topic at the board meeting that got Madge sacked. Just thought I'd throw that in there.