What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge

Vote for next coach after Madge - possibles.

• Tooves

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Cartwright

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Furner

• Dean Pay

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Another Assistant coach from top tier club

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Taylor (Rip)- New South Wales cup best coach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Madge with a fair pay cut.

• Gardiner (bears)- going ok with so so side

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bradford ( super league)- uber coach

• None of the above, I will nominate my own schmukles.

• Total voters

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
Anyone who wants to whinge at having Richo onboard is kidding themselves, nobody knows Rugby League administration like he does, nobody has been around as long as him, before people start throwing stones have a think who you'd have as a replacement, who is available?

I tend to believe Richo when he says that our salary cap was a mess, i think with the limited funds we did have we've done well buying elite junior players, i think that these players getting a run throughout the yea along with talented 20s players getting a run in reserves & first is a significant plus for the future, i think we've seen some real positives come from what appears to be all negatives

I like Solly also, i think he & Rich will be judged ultimately in the next few years when we see the centre of excellence hopefully come to fruition & we see how our recruitment of young elite players comes to fruition, the fact that Seibold has a good track record bringing young players along is exciting also

As for Richo's future i think you can see the writing on the wall with the eventual promotion of Shannon Donato when the time is right, again, recruitment from within, someone who is aware of the culture, someone who has learnt from Richo, someone who loves the club

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Anyone who wants to whinge at having Richo onboard is kidding themselves, nobody knows Rugby League administration like he does, nobody has been around as long as him, before people start throwing stones have a think who you'd have as a replacement, who is available?

I tend to believe Richo when he says that our salary cap was a mess, i think with the limited funds we did have we've done well buying elite junior players, i think that these players getting a run throughout the yea along with talented 20s players getting a run in reserves & first is a significant plus for the future, i think we've seen some real positives come from what appears to be all negatives

I like Solly also, i think he & Rich will be judged ultimately in the next few years when we see the centre of excellence hopefully come to fruition & we see how our recruitment of young elite players comes to fruition, the fact that Seibold has a good track record bringing young players along is exciting also

As for Richo's future i think you can see the writing on the wall with the eventual promotion of Shannon Donato when the time is right, again, recruitment from within, someone who is aware of the culture, someone who has learnt from Richo, someone who loves the club

This club is in shambles and you sit there praising Richo and solly? I'm sorry but any club that was run well wouldn't be in the same situation we're in. Somebody has to be blamed for all the shit that Souths have gone through the past few years.

Pommy

Coach
This club is in shambles and you sit there praising Richo and solly? I'm sorry but any club that was run well wouldn't be in the same situation we're in. Somebody has to be blamed for all the shit that Souths have gone through the past few years.

So blame the guy who wasn't at the club when it went on?
That seems to be what a few are doing on here. Richo hasn't got a magic wand he can't fix the salary cap until the contracts have taken their course.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The way that I see it Souths have actually gone backwards since Richo has come back on board not forwards.

Everyone in this forum loves to talk about the juniors that we have coming through but the only reason they're anywhere near first grade potential is because of madge's coaching. So what does the board do, they sack Madge?

Everybody also loves to talk about how our salary cap is a mess. Now this is debatable about who's fault it is but the stem of the problem is from the person who sacked mark Hughes? Do people really think that the coach has a say in who gets sacked?

There's also the scheduling of games for the past 2 years which have been an absolute joke. I understand league is a TV game but as a fan I want to be able to go to games every once in a while, that's straight up impossible on a Friday night.

There was the Dylan Walker situation which was handled abysmally. I don't care what you think of walker he was treated like shit which was why he probably wanted to leave in the first place. If you honestly think walker is the only player in the Souths squad f**king with drugs then you're a fool. The rugby league culture consists of party drugs and alcohol.

There was Russell Crowe's tea party. I don't know many other owners who are allowed so close to the players? Let alone allowed to pick favourites and make it public?!

People talk about culture and the sad part is Souths don't have a culture.

Last edited:

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
Of course we've gone backwards, he came back to a salary cap mess

he has stated on the Q&A sessions on a few occasions that we were not in a good way, now, as we are not privy to what has transpired & the exact financials & salary cap stress, at some point we have to take his word for it, sure we can be cynical, but at least have some facts that he screwed things up or he created the salary cap mess, it sure seems you have a personal grudge, god knows why, i doubt you know him or anything, it seems like the same old negative nelly souths supporter that likes to target individuals & push push push with no real facts or proof

As for Mark Hughes, forget him, he's long gone, & as per employee & employer confidentiality, its none of our business, we don't know what went on, stop guessing, its private & should remain so

Richo isn't our CEO, get it right

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
It's hard to not be a negative Souths supporter when the most recent decision was one of the dumbest I've seen in a long time. I don't have a personal grudge against him I'm just stating facts of what has happened. I would've rather had Madge stay and Richo gone. Just an opinion though... Didn't realise that made me a negative nelly Souths supporter.

Last edited:

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
It's hard to not be a negative Souths supporter when the most recent decision was one of the dumbest I've seen in a long time. I don't have a personal grudge against him I'm just stating facts of what has happened. I would've rather had Madge stay and Richo gone. Just an opinion though...

I'm sad that Madge has gone too, i'm pretty hardened by now to the fact that coaches come & go & its not always a reflection on ultimate ability but a change just sometimes has to happen, i'm over it now & prefer to look to the future with a positive slant

As for Richo, again, i think he still the best man for the job, theres no use castigating him & calling for his head if you can't think of a replacement, there are certain nuances in this game that are endemic to Rugby League, nobody knows them more intricately than Richo, remeber he is not the CEO but the head of football, if you believe what he says & i have no reason to not, he has put a pretty stable platform in place, i suggest you watch the latest Q&A video, i have no evidence to suggest what he says is false or any proof or facts to the contrary, he seems genuine & makes sense

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I'm sad that Madge has gone too, i'm pretty hardened by now to the fact that coaches come & go & its not always a reflection on ultimate ability but a change just sometimes has to happen, i'm over it now & prefer to look to the future with a positive slant

As for Richo, again, i think he still the best man for the job, theres no use castigating him & calling for his head if you can't think of a replacement, there are certain nuances in this game that are endemic to Rugby League, nobody knows them more intricately than Richo, remeber he is not the CEO but the head of football, if you believe what he says & i have no reason to not, he has put a pretty stable platform in place, i suggest you watch the latest Q&A video, i have no evidence to suggest what he says is false or any proof or facts to the contrary, he seems genuine & makes sense

Will do Mr SattlersJaw. Most of the Q&A videos I have seen have very politician like responses. So I'm not really expecting much but I will check it out.

Pommy

Coach
The way that I see it Souths have actually gone backwards since Richo has come back on board not forwards.

Everyone in this forum loves to talk about the juniors that we have coming through but the only reason they're anywhere near first grade potential is because of madge's coaching. So what does the board do, they sack Madge?

Everybody also loves to talk about how our salary cap is a mess. Now this is debatable about who's fault it is but the stem of the problem is from the person who sacked mark Hughes? Do people really think that the coach has a say in who gets sacked?

There's also the scheduling of games for the past 2 years which have been an absolute joke. I understand league is a TV game but as a fan I want to be able to go to games every once in a while, that's straight up impossible on a Friday night.

There was the Dylan Walker situation which was handled abysmally. I don't care what you think of walker he was treated like shit which was why he probably wanted to leave in the first place. If you honestly think walker is the only player in the Souths squad f**king with drugs then you're a fool. The rugby league culture consists of party drugs and alcohol.

There was Russell Crowe's tea party. I don't know many other owners who are allowed so close to the players? Let alone allowed to pick favourites and make it public?!

People talk about culture and the sad part is Souths don't have a culture.

No Aaron Gray was and Ricoh wasn't here when it happened.
Owners allowed? Who's going to stop them lol.

Pommy

Coach
It's hard to not be a negative Souths supporter when the most recent decision was one of the dumbest I've seen in a long time. I don't have a personal grudge against him I'm just stating facts of what has happened. I would've rather had Madge stay and Richo gone. Just an opinion though... Didn't realise that made me a negative nelly Souths supporter.

But for what reasons would you sack Richo? The cap is a mess mostly due to decisions not made by him.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
But for what reasons would you sack Richo? The cap is a mess mostly due to decisions not made by him.

I probably wouldn't sack anyone considering we ARE rebuilding and trying to create stability within the club. Sacking coaches and admins is not a sign of stability.

Pommy

Coach
I probably wouldn't sack anyone considering we ARE rebuilding and trying to create stability within the club. Sacking coaches and admins is not a sign of stability.

We're obviously going to disagree as I have said I don't hate Madge but I knew last off season his time was up. He was out of ideas, fair enough there's issues in the squad but he didn't seem capable of lifting the squad he does have.

If things don't pick up in the next year then we can start to question Richo but the deals done in his gap year have hindered the ability to recruit and retain players and I think people forget that. Richo can only deal with numbers there's no human side to the job like there is the coach.

SattlersJaw14

Juniors
We're obviously going to disagree as I have said I don't hate Madge but I knew last off season his time was up. He was out of ideas, fair enough there's issues in the squad but he didn't seem capable of lifting the squad he does have.

If things don't pick up in the next year then we can start to question Richo but the deals done in his gap year have hindered the ability to recruit and retain players and I think people forget that. Richo can only deal with numbers there's no human side to the job like there is the coach.

Richo is not a number cruncher, he is not the CEO, he is director of football, he is now in charge of all persons, he is in charge of retention & i'd suggest that he has to have a personal relationship with all staff

Pommy

Coach
Richo is not a number cruncher, he is not the CEO, he is director of football, he is now in charge of all persons, he is in charge of retention & i'd suggest that he has to have a personal relationship with all staff

Ok that's overselling it but I mean he has to work within the cap. If the cap has been spent he can't bring in new players.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Okay so watching the whole bosses video and I can say I was impressed.

Solly and Richo did deflect the scheduling onto the NRL. Which I guess is fair. Apparently when they signed off to play at cairns they didn't know it was gonna be against the cowboys.

Richo even admitted that the 2014 downfall was partly his fault. The structure/system he had set out at Souths was never going to be sustainable to be at the top for a while.

They are targeting for a top 8 finish next year and they want to stay in finals contention for the next 5-10 years.

I was very impressed with their talk of recruitment. They don't reveal stuff to the media which I love because it confirms that most of the rumours that go around are bullshit.

I'm still upset with the decision to sack Madge as a whole however. I think moving forward it was irrational but Seibold does have my backing.

Latest posts