What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge

Vote for next coach after Madge - possibles.

• Tooves

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Cartwright

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Furner

• Dean Pay

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Another Assistant coach from top tier club

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Taylor (Rip)- New South Wales cup best coach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Madge with a fair pay cut.

• Gardiner (bears)- going ok with so so side

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bradford ( super league)- uber coach

• None of the above, I will nominate my own schmukles.

• Total voters

greg jay

Juniors
I also repeat this; Sam Burgess is NOT A LEADER NOR IS HE A GREAT PLAYER. British Rugby git rid of him for a reason. He is NOT skilled and he is NOT a GREAT player. He has proven only to be a strong and tough player. That's it. He is NOT GREAT he has a 36.3% WINNING RECORD in the past 33 Games. How much more evidence is required before we all admit thus???

Rsag85

Bench
Sam shouldn't be captain and his performance since last year haven't be the best. And what I mean by that he has lost something in attack. Not worth the big money he is getting payed. I think the club needs to look at signing some mid season signings.

greg jay

Juniors
BTW. Putting Furner in charge NOW will reveal whether it is Maguire OR The roster will it not??? Lets see if the players continue to lay down or stand up and show some spark and heart. For Crowe to just muddle along after this with tete held down he must be a masochist or love Hari Kari.

greg jay

Juniors
Sam shouldn't be captain and his performance since last year haven't be the best. And what I mean by that he has lost something in attack. Not worth the big money he is getting payed. I think the club needs to look at signing some mid season signings.
Bill Belichick would have cut Inglis and most of The Burgess Brothers last year. Belichick could care less about their name or reputation its all about PRODUCTION if you are a successful Head Coach.They are done finito as playmakers. They are costly flops and Sam is trending that way as well.

greg jay

Juniors
Maguire is probably a THREE YEAR MAXIMUM coach then the lights start to dim and soon fade. This is who he is.

greg jay

Juniors
Maguire likely will get the flick. He will be a great pick up for another club

Souths were a shambles before Maguire came. They will be a shambles once he leaves. Look at the U20s team which he does not coach. It has 1 win for the season and has now been 15th to 16th on the ladder for 2015, 2016 and now 2017. So this not just a Maguire problem, it is a bigger Souths problem

Shadow is right. The recruitment at Souths is a disaster. Maguire as head coach has to take some responsibility for recruitment. But at least he can coach the players in his squad. Maguire's fault has been he has forgotten your players need talent not just hard work to succeed at the NRL level

Souths were a shambles before Maguire came. They will be a shambles once he leaves. Look at the U20s team which he does not coach. It has 1 win for the season and has now been 15th to 16th on the ladder for 2015, 2016 and now 2017. So this not just a Maguire problem, it is a bigger Souths problem

Shadow is right. The recruitment at Souths is a disaster. Maguire as head coach has to take some responsibility for recruitment. But at least he can coach the players in his squad. Maguire's fault has been he has forgotten your players need talent not just hard work to succeed at the NRL level
Crowe has to accept blame too. He has called Inglis another Lebron James and he loves the Burgess Clan especially his "starry eyed man".. yet these players who soak up a large chunk of the Salary Cap have DECLINED noticeably in output and performance. A Head Coach on the other hand must be SELFISH and understand that as the losses pile up and big name players increasingly do nothing he is close to being made expendable. A 36.3% winning record over 33 games will do just that.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
I've been saying this for a while now, although mostly being ignored on here, I think it's time for Madge to move on. 7 seasons as a head coach is still better than most, plus a premiership etc but when a relationship fails you don't stick and put in for nothing in return.

This game was the crossroads. If it is going to happen it needs to be done before the end of the long weekend if there is any chance of salvaging the season.

Furner isn't the answer either.

Personally, I'd get Toovey in and let him loose

callmack1

Staff member
I agree what you guys are saying. Don't get me wrong, I'll always like Madge for what he's done for our club but he has gone a bit stale.

At least put him on notice. That goes for the players too. Put a rocket up their arses!!

Rsag85

Bench
I think it's poor selector by Madge. You can't keep picking two under performing centres and have two centres playing on the wing stupid. Also drop one of the hookers no need for two in the side

souths_reborn

Juniors
I cannot believe some of the criticism being leveled at Madge. I think for the most part, his tactical decisions and the way he has set his team up has been pretty much spot on. I like the way he has reverted back to basics when working the ball out of our own half in order to cut down on handling errors. Similarly, I also like many of his initiatives in attack, like deploying the Burgess brother 2 and even 3 passes off the ruck at times in order to prevent them being closed down. The lines that he has Crichton run in the game are also brilliant and moving Kyle Turner to the front row has worked wonders for us. Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of areas where we need improvement, most notably our defence. However, will say is that Madge is pretty much doing all that he can! The thing that people need to accept is that Maguire is a coach, not a miracle worker! Moreover, we also have an abundance of young players in our team meaning that they are going to make mistakes from time to time. Sacking the coach and complaining about him is not the answer, especially considering there are not a lot of viable alternatives on the market.

greg jay

Juniors
I cannot believe some of the criticism being leveled at Madge. I think for the most part, his tactical decisions and the way he has set his team up has been pretty much spot on. I like the way he has reverted back to basics when working the ball out of our own half in order to cut down on handling errors. Similarly, I also like many of his initiatives in attack, like deploying the Burgess brother 2 and even 3 passes off the ruck at times in order to prevent them being closed down. The lines that he has Crichton run in the game are also brilliant and moving Kyle Turner to the front row has worked wonders for us. Now don't get me wrong, there are plenty of areas where we need improvement, most notably our defence. However, will say is that Madge is pretty much doing all that he can! The thing that people need to accept is that Maguire is a coach, not a miracle worker! Moreover, we also have an abundance of young players in our team meaning that they are going to make mistakes from time to time. Sacking the coach and complaining about him is not the answer, especially considering there are not a lot of viable alternatives on the market.
Doing "all he can
like continually selecting Talakai in the Centres when he is 1-6 when starting there??? The only chance Maguire has of saving his position - if he really wants to stay - is to PUBLICLY CALL THE SENIOR PLAYERS OUT IN PUBLIC -Sam Reynolds Walker Cook Burgess Brother etc - to start WINNING games and play with intensity. He needs to do this otherwise they have no rocket put up them and NO ACCOUNTABILITY for their NON-PERFORMANCES.

greg jay

Juniors
I agree what you guys are saying. Don't get me wrong, I'll always like Madge for what he's done for our club but he has gone a bit stale.

At least put him on notice. That goes for the players too. Put a rocket up their arses!!
What Maguire did for the club is fast becoming ancient history. Maguire is sending the club into MISERY with bone head selections and poor coaching. Keeping Maguire and these players together is becoming a total disaster. A descent into Hell. That is likely how Maguire will be remembered. He does NOT appear to be a long term Head Coach. His maximum stay appears to be 3 seasons as thereafter the players appear to lose motivation and desire.

Rabbits20

Immortal

You know that sense doesn't belong here lol.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Doing "all he can
like continually selecting Talakai in the Centres when he is 1-6 when starting there??? The only chance Maguire has of saving his position - if he really wants to stay - is to PUBLICLY CALL THE SENIOR PLAYERS OUT IN PUBLIC -Sam Reynolds Walker Cook Burgess Brother etc - to start WINNING games and play with intensity. He needs to do this otherwise they have no rocket put up them and NO ACCOUNTABILITY for their NON-PERFORMANCES.
Publically criticising the team is not the way to go. It causes massive instability, creates unwanted media attention and destroys players confidence. Make no mistake there is no way that Maguire will let these players get away with that performance but he will keep the criticism in house. In terms of his actual coaching ability, what were your expectations for the team at the start of the season? I felt that if we finished anywhere between 6 and 8 then that would be a good season. Like I said to before, coaches are exactly that - coaches; they are not are not miracle workers! For example, if Craig Bellamy was coaching the Newcastle Knight there is no way they would be in the top 4. A coach can only do so much and given the amount of young players we have in the team, we are going to lose a few games this season.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
When Mal Meninga took over as the Australian coach the first thing he did was reinstil the pride in the Australian jersey and what it means to play. Our players are soft and they have no pride. Last night just proved that. No team that has complete pride in their jersey let's a score extend to past 40 points. It's embarrasing and it's starting to look like there's no mateship whatsoever in our team.

Pommy

Coach
When Mal Meninga took over as the Australian coach the first thing he did was reinstil the pride in the Australian jersey and what it means to play. Our players are soft and they have no pride. Last night just proved that. No team that has complete pride in their jersey let's a score extend to past 40 points. It's embarrasing and it's starting to look like there's no mateship whatsoever in our team.

Its easy to say you've instilled pride in the jersey when your picking the best players in the world and in Mals case I do mean the WORLD lol.
The Kangaroos is a totally different beast to a club side. If theres players that don't perform in the green and gold Mal can just f**k them off at Souths they have contracts and theres a limit on spending. Imagine if the Kangaroos were held back by a salary cap to allow competition with the rest of the world.