What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

siv

First Grade
Round 9
2018: 124,504 / Average: 15,563
2017: 109,116 / Average: 13,640
2016: 108,373 / Average: 13,547

UK Magic round has usually totaled 10-20% less than a normal full round

And for them they only need to travel 4h

You will get a number of regional or local Brisbane fans from other teams

It will be interesting to see how the novelty value plays out

I personally prefer the 7s/9s concept for this sort day or weekend out

Be interesting to see what sort of price they put on the ticket package - 1 day v 3 days

user_nat

Coach
Lets assume they get full houses

Broncos Friday main
Nth Qld Saturday main game
Gold Coast Sunday main game

Is 156k higher than a normal Round 9 8 game attendance total ?
The Friday is just a worse timeslot version of the existing double header, with less popular teams (I assume). So can't see that cracking mid 30s. They'll do well to 100k to the round.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Friday is just a worse timeslot version of the existing double header, with less popular teams (I assume). So can't see that cracking mid 30s. They'll do well to 100k to the round.

Depends on the fixtures and ticket prices. You only have to turn up to watch one game to be counted as being at all 3 on that day so I reckon it will get 30-35k each day with 40k at the broncos game Friday night.

Ideally you had broncos Friday night
then storms v dragons v and cowboys v Saturday
Warriors v , titans v and Souths v on the Sunday

Illawarra Tiger

Juniors
I was thinking if goes ahead a regional team should play a Sydney based team as the Sydney based team if hosting would normally draw less attendees?

Friday Night
6pm Melbourne v Sharks
8pm Brisbane v Roosters

Saturday
3pm Dragons v Penrith
5pm NZ Warriors v Bulldogs
7pm Nth Qld v Tigers

Sunday
2pm Canberra v Souths
4pm Newcastle v Manly
6pm Titans v Parramatta

Raiderdave

First Grade
I was thinking if goes ahead a regional team should play a Sydney based team as the Sydney based team if hosting would normally draw less attendees?

Friday Night
6pm Melbourne v Sharks
8pm Brisbane v Roosters

Saturday
3pm Dragons v Penrith
5pm NZ Warriors v Bulldogs
7pm Nth Qld v Tigers

Sunday
2pm Canberra v Souths
4pm Newcastle v Manly
6pm Titans v Parramatta

its already been announced
Broncos V Manly on the Friday night

for mine
it will be a disaster
its not necessary , our clubs are not all jammed up in an area half the size of Tasmania

its a dumb idea

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Everyone, everyone shhhhh Dave has spoken it's a disaster.

Let's just cancel the NRL (except in Canberra because its the best)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This will do really well I think. For a few reasons:

• The NRL will get paid a sh!t load from the QLD government to host it and if (when) it is successful we have another marquee event to sell to other cities
  • There are many well supported teams in Brisbane other than the Broncos; Storm, Cowboys, Dragons, Souths, Bulldogs and Warriors just to name a few plus the Titans fans only have to travel an hour to attend. Schedule correctly and we'll easily have big crowds on all days / nights
  • This is an event and will also have people travelling to it
This could be a really powerful vehicle for NRL promotion in the future. Imagine Magic weekend in Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth in round 1 or 2 (before the AFL kicks off for the season)? It would be huge! The city would be flooded with Rugby league for an entire weekend.

Timmah

Staff member
That's it - people love an 'event'. Love being part of something like that. Double Header wasn't cutting it anymore - this will do well IMO

Perth Red

Post Whore
It "could" be another big ticket thing for NRL to sell,if it survives more than the other 2-3year duration events we have seen in recent times like Nines and All Stars. Media loves to stick the boot in, will no doubt see that as the event gets nearer.

Id be surprised if it doesnt avg around 34k a day in Brisbane.

Optus stadium would be a great venue for it, very comfortable stadium to spend a long time in and you can get outside to the beer and park riverside area where they could set up big screen and food and beer trucks if you want a bit of a break from inside.

franklin2323

Immortal
It "could" be another big ticket thing for NRL to sell,if it survives more than the other 2-3year duration events we have seen in recent times like Nines and All Stars. Media loves to stick the boot in, will no doubt see that as the event gets nearer.

Id be surprised if it doesnt avg around 34k a day in Brisbane.

Some will be justified some won't. Most RL fans can see through the media crap by now.

For me Idea is good just location bad. Not having it on Mothers Day too would be handy. Also would hate this to be teams 'home' games instead of a developing market. ESL have it right with having theirs as an extra round

Timmah

Staff member
Some will be justified some won't. Most RL fans can see through the media crap by now.

For me Idea is good just location bad. Not having it on Mothers Day too would be handy. Also would hate this to be teams 'home' games instead of a developing market. ESL have it right with having theirs as an extra round
I don't see why the location is bad. Better to start a concept somewhere the game is already strong and a city known for getting behind event RL (World Cup, All Stars for example). There's no suggestion it's permanently at Suncorp, just for year one... and if it's successful there's no reason it can't be a roadshow.

Mother's Day weekend I'd agree isn't perfect but that should realistically only affect Sunday figures - hopefully.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Here's the biggest problem, just started looking at potential accommodation for that weekend, looked at 4 different hotels and each one prices jumped from $120-$140 per night to around $450-$500 for the weekend of 10-12 May 2019. From Monday 13th May onwards prices back to normal, if this is the case we wont be going.

Reactions: Vee

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
To all those complaining about this, perhaps if you actually bothered to turn up at games in your own backyards, the NRL wouldn't have to take an ENTIRE ROUND of football to Suncorp in order to actually make some coin. I bet they never even entertained the idea of having ANZ host this.

I'm not exactly 100% keen on the idea either. I can only imagine the state of the surface the Broncos will have to put up with for weeks after being trampled by 8 games on one weekend.

But hey every cloud has a silver lining. If it screws Yawnion, it's somewhat worth it.

sempmrh

Juniors
I've traveled from Melbourne for the Brisbane double header the past three years and had a pretty good time each year. Although this will likely replace the double header, a Magic Weekend somehow seems less appealing to me. I can't imagine I'll be heading up in 2019.

Vee

First Grade
Here's the biggest problem, just started looking at potential accommodation for that weekend, looked at 4 different hotels and each one prices jumped from $120-$140 per night to around $450-$500 for the weekend of 10-12 May 2019. From Monday 13th May onwards prices back to normal, if this is the case we wont be going.
Already booked Mum's spare room if my mate's spare room isn't available.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors

It was always going to be a pricey exercise for out of towners, just hope this doesn't either impact the Weekend itself or the rounds just before and after it for those who would have to tighten the purse strings after a weekend trip for a footy game(s).

Latest posts