What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mal: Aus v NZ in Qatar at end of year + maybe Tonga (I am done)

adamkungl

Immortal
It probably is doable but what’s the benefit in reality?
At least if the Tongan RL can make some money they can put it back in to the sport in Tonga.

Local sport needs enthusiasm more than money. All the money in the world doesn't get kids and teenagers playing the game.

Pommy

Coach
Local sport needs enthusiasm more than money. All the money in the world doesn't get kids and teenagers playing the game.

Record numbers of people playing the game in tonga without them playing there. More playing league than Union I heard in an interview the other day.

adamkungl

Immortal
Record numbers of people playing the game in tonga without them playing there. More playing league than Union I heard in an interview the other day.

As a result of their world cup glories. But you don't think those superstars actually playing in front of a crowd would have a similar effect? Look at the reception the Aussies get in PNG every September.

Pommy

Coach
As a result of their world cup glories. But you don't think those superstars actually playing in front of a crowd would have a similar effect? Look at the reception the Aussies get in PNG every September.

I’m sure it would have a great effect but if the people shelling out their hard earned to watch it are already onboard what’s the benefit?
I haven’t seen Tongan RL wanting to play it in Tonga.

Knownothing

Juniors

Nothing to do with World Cup glories, a lot to do with the simple fact that there are far more potential opportunities to earn (much needed) money, playing at even quite low levels in Australia, so there is a powerful incentive to play rugby league ahead of rugby union, unless you are in the disciplined services, or some other secure job. Unemployment is pretty bad.

60% of Tonga's Gross National Product is overseas remittances. If a normal family does not have one member working off shore, they are in deep doo doo.

The last time I was in Tonga, their two biggest grounds could hold maybe 8,000 each, at a pinch. To fill them, think maybe $5 per head, maximum. Even that might be too much.

adamkungl

Immortal
Tonga Rugby League is reporting that its senior competitions have increased from 14 to 30 clubs in the last 2 seasons.

Pommy

Coach
Tonga Rugby League is reporting that its senior competitions have increased from 14 to 30 clubs in the last 2 seasons.

Which just backs up that a game doesn't need to be played there. Even though I totally agree it would be very nice for it to happen.

adamkungl

Immortal
Which just backs up that a game doesn't need to be played there. Even though I totally agree it would be very nice for it to happen.

Part of it for me is feelgood promotion of the sport, but a large part of it is the principle of the thing.
A national team should play in the nation it claims to represent.

langpark

First Grade
Part of it for me is feelgood promotion of the sport, but a large part of it is the principle of the thing.
A national team should play in the nation it claims to represent.
I agree! And thats why ive suggested we have FIFA-style World Cup qualifiers (every nation must qualify) so we'd be guaranteed to get these sorts of matches inthese places!

Pommy

Coach
I agree! And thats why ive suggested we have FIFA-style World Cup qualifiers (every nation must qualify) so we'd be guaranteed to get these sorts of matches inthese places!

I think UEFA have actually changed the qualification procedure in Europe so that we don’t have to watch England, Germany and France etc beat San Marino and Andorra 8-0 each home and away leg.
It’s not good for anyone in reality the players are risking injuries for no reason and it’s as dull as dish water on TV.

langpark

First Grade
Fair point but its also a disgrace that the likes of Tonga and Samoa are playing ACTUAL home matches once every 20 years.

Pommy

Coach
Fair point but its also a disgrace that the likes of Tonga and Samoa are playing ACTUAL home matches once every 20 years.

Then they should organise some games at home.
Tonga Vs Samoa in a best of three cup or something a game in each nation and then the final in Auckland to make some cash.

langpark

First Grade
Then they should organise some games at home.
Tonga Vs Samoa in a best of three cup or something a game in each nation and then the final in Auckland to make some cash.
Yeah but people go on about lack of meaningful matches, this would be a nice way to increase the, even if it is 7 teams competing for 6 spots. Plus would be great for the tiny island nations and PNGto be guaranteed a glimpse of the NRL players. Anyway, i know it wont happen, but would be nice.

Pommy

Coach
Yeah but people go on about lack of meaningful matches, this would be a nice way to increase the, even if it is 7 teams competing for 6 spots. Plus would be great for the tiny island nations and PNGto be guaranteed a glimpse of the NRL players. Anyway, i know it wont happen, but would be nice.

If it was going to be qualifiers you would have to play home and away otherwise no neutral ground would be an unfair advantage.
I know you cited FIFA but the World Cup qualifiers is normally a very dull affair unless you’re a smaller side over achieving.

Even in football friendlies South American teams will very rarely play big European sides at home as its not a money maker.

langpark

First Grade
If it was going to be qualifiers you would have to play home and away otherwise no neutral ground would be an unfair advantage.
I know you cited FIFA but the World Cup qualifiers is normally a very dull affair unless you’re a smaller side over achieving.

Even in football friendlies South American teams will very rarely play big European sides at home as its not a money maker.
Yeah but all these one off tests are meaningless. Plus the gap is closing so there wont be too many floggings.

Pommy

Coach
Yeah but all these one off tests are meaningless. Plus the gap is closing so there wont be too many floggings.

Is the gap closing though really? Samoa were touted as being the next big thing and they’re garbage, people on here we’re genuinly thinking they were capable of beating England in the pacific test last year. Now Tonga are on a bit of a roll but it’s not even written in stone who their big names will be playing for. If everyone has to qualify you’re going to have Australia playing the cooks, Niue, New Zealand etc so plenty of scope for floggings.

Latest posts